Once Upon A Time dropped by Channel 5

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I did do a search for this but didn't see anything and I didn't want to go in to the US pace thread.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s181/once-upon-a-time/news/a538866/once-upon-a-time-dropped-by-channel-5-after-two-seasons.html
They told DS: "Channel 5 has not picked up the rights for the next series. At the moment we're not intending to pick up the show."

Very annoyed about this. I don't mind waiting a while to see if any other broadcaster picks it up, but failing that, i'll have to go to US pace.

Maybe 'Watch' could pick it up to team with Grimm ?

Comments

• MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really hoping another channel picks this up else I'll be waiting for a dvd release:(:(:(
  • Wayne814Wayne814 Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This would be an ideal time for Netflix to pick the show up for the UK, put seasons 1 & 2 on as well as the first half of season 3 then each episode weekly after the US Broadcast like they did with the Killing, Breaking Bad and what they are going to do with Better Call Saul.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, Netflix would be a good call actually - especially since i've got a 1 year subscription to them starting on Jan 1st :D
  • Wayne814Wayne814 Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, Netflix would be a good call actually - especially since i've got a 1 year subscription to them starting on Jan 1st :D

Im currently in a 3rd month of a free 6 month subscription from them.
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Well, that's a surprise. Always thought that this show got decent ratings for C5.

A once in a lifetime opportunity has now presented itself for the likes of Sky, ITV, C4, E4 and....Netflix? Lovefilm too?

I hope Netflix get it. They've proved with Breaking Bad that they are capable of treating decent shows with the respect they deserve, in 5.1 surround sound and 1080p. And The Killing shows that they could release new episodes from the States ASAP.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I was watching Once Upon A Time at UK pace so I was waiting for Channel 5 to show it but now it's been dropped I will catch up at US pace via other means!

Although I do hope that it gets picked up by either another channel or Netflix!
  • Arwen_EvenstarArwen_Evenstar Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's now on a break until March so plenty of time to catch up on the first 11 episodes US pace :)
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    is everyone sending their complaints to channel 5?
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    US pace it is then :(

Knew it was coming tbh. The ratings were abysmal for season 2. As I said in the other threads - right slot, too late in the year. Should have been January-May.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's now on a break until March so plenty of time to catch up on the first 11 episodes US pace :)

That should also be enough time to see if it's picked up by another UK broadcaster as well
    Aura101 wrote: »

It won't matter - they won't change their minds
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    My plan is to start catching up in the new year so I'm up to date by the time it returns in the US in March!

I wonder if a channel like Watch will consider picking up Once Upon A Time and Once Upon A Time In Wonderland to show them in a double bill!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    My plan is to start catching up in the new year so I'm up to date by the time it returns in the US in March!

I wonder if a channel like Watch will consider picking up Once Upon A Time and Once Upon A Time In Wonderland to show them in a double bill!

A double bill would be a good idea - suppose it depends on if Watch have the money to acquire both.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah it is mentioned in the US Pace thread that Channel 5 have dropped it.
    Wayne814 wrote: »
    This would be an ideal time for Netflix to pick the show up for the UK, put seasons 1 & 2 on as well as the first half of season 3 then each episode weekly after the US Broadcast like they did with the Killing, Breaking Bad and what they are going to do with Better Call Saul.

Netflix has it on the US site so it would be great if they could negotiate the rights to get Seasons 1 & 2 on there and pick up Season 3 as well. They're starting to get a pretty decent reputation I think, things like Arrested Development, Orange is the New Black, House of Cards and the four new Marvel series' they've commissioned.
    Aura101 wrote: »

I've been watching it US Pace so would be a tad hypocritical to have a go at Channel 5 on my part :blush:
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunno what's worse, being axed for dodgy ratings at home or being axed for dodgy ratings abroad?
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    The ratings were not good enough for Five so no chance of ITV or Four picking it up.

My money would be on it becoming a Lovefilm exclusive. They are looking to increase their exclusives at the moment and already have an arrangement with ABC for some shows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    My money would be on it becoming a Lovefilm exclusive

I forgot that Lovefilm had a deal with ABC so you could well be right.

I know they had the final couple of seasons of Private Practice after it was dropped, so I certainly can't see why they couldn't get this and even the spin-off show as well.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Ugh, typical of Channel 5.

Really glad I'm watching this online after all now.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Ugh, typical of Channel 5.

Really glad I'm watching this online after all now.
    You and others like you are part of the reason why it no longer has a UK broadcaster.

But yeah, well done for not supporting a show you supposedly enjoy.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    You and others like you are part of the reason why it no longer has a UK broadcaster.

I live in Ireland and I did also watch it when it was on Channel 5 as well.
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason it's been dropped is because it's lost it's quality!
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member

Is it really?
    So how exactly would Channel 5 know who's watching it early online elsewhere or tuning into to Channel 5 to watch?
    Channel 5 have no direct link to my tv to check my viewing habits.
    The truth is they don't know, and just like all tv ratings it's all guess work. The only accurate account they get is when something's viewed on Demand 5.
  • Gemma_HardingGemma_Harding Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm wondering if Once Upon A Time and Once Upon A Time in Wonderland will pop up on the ABC Channel of Sky On Deman. They also have the final seasons of Private Practice along with Grey's Anatomy, Ugly Betty, Scandal and a few others I can't remember
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    The reason it's been dropped is because it's lost it's quality!

no it hasn't as its an excellent series
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no it hasn't as its an excellent series

Have you watched season 3?
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can see it going to Watch or Netflix.

No reason for me to watch Channel 5 for a while now anyway, it was about the only thing I watched on it(didn't go US pace with this show due to there being so much else on.)

Hope RTÉ decides to speed up their pace and pick it up.