Books in charity shops.

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    I bought 3 books for £2 at the local Cancer Reseach shop at the weekend.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    Yeah found Perfume for a pound fifty, the other day. I should give the books I have read back to the charity shop, but I like to see all the books I have read on my self!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    agado wrote: »
    Yeah found Perfume for a pound fifty, the other day. I should give the books I have read back to the charity shop, but I like to see all the books I have read on my self!

LOL Shelf, not self!, my word I sound twelve. terrible typo :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I quite ften pick up books from charity shops you can get some good bargins and it is a good way to get some new authors to read
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to our local fete last weekend, and they had all their books at 25p each. I was hugely chuffed as i found some great ones, read once.
  • ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I buy a lot from Charity shops and donate lots too.
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    agado wrote: »

I used to be like that, but now I only keep books I've read and enjoyed on my shelf, and get rid of books I didn't enjoy.

However, if I had the space, I would like to keep all the books I've ever read, just to see how my taste has changed over the years.

Although I did get rather throw-away happy and have ended up re-buying some books I got rid of, so I'm a bit more careful now.
  • HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    I think most of the books I own have been bought from either charity shops or jumble sales! I've also converted a couple of friends by insisting on going into charity shops for a browse when we're out shopping! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    totally need to delurk here! does anyone else alphabetise books in a charity shop? ie John Grisham you should be up here! and how about the ammount of Umberto Eco books that end up living there!
  • freelance81freelance81 Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "When I was a student..........." I was eternally grateful to Charity Shops for their cheap books. I read books I would never have considered normally and now have a rather broad reading mind. I still look in CS's for books but always feel bad since I can afford to buy books new and maybe should leave CS books for people with less money? I do give books back when I'm finished though..if that counts....
  • Dutch MarleneDutch Marlene Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is why I love to visit GB. There I can visit all the charity shops with the very cheap books. :D

I was in England for a week last month and managed to buy a lot of books. Here the secondhand books especially English, are much more expensive.

I am planning on visiting GB this year for a few days just to go and find some good second hand book shops or charity shops.

Anyone can recommend where I should go? Easy and cheap to travel to with lots of charity or/and secondhand book stores?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My OH has banned me from all charity shops that sell books! As I always come back with loads :D