Can I get a duplicate SIM card so I can have two mobiles with same number?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
Forum Member
Hi,

can I get a duplicate SIM card so I can have two mobiles with same number?

I carry a different mobile at the weekend (less bulky) and wondering if I can get around having to constantly change the SIM card.

PLEASE help if you know the answer. This forum is getting a bit dry for replies recently.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Google is your friend here.

Not sure if this kind of thing is illegal or not, but it would be pretty easy for your network to find out you're doing this and shut your account down if it's against their terms of service.
  • James ClaytonJames Clayton Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which one would ring !!!!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know vodafone do it.
    All you do is put in an unlock code to activate that sim and deactivates other.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Orange have a service for their business customers called SingleNumber, read about it here

http://www.orange.co.uk/business/corporate/using/callmanagement/singlenumber.html

Basically you get another sim card with a different number, whichever phone is switched on gets the calls as if it was the main phone.

When dialling from the second phone, the caller id is the main phones number. It is possible to use both devices at the same time, but the 2nd phone use the new number from the new sim card instead.

Texts on the main number only go to the main phone, to text the 2nd phone you have to use the 2nd phone's number.

This service is £3 a month, I have a PDA which I use for work, and on a night and weekends I use my Moto V3 instead because I don't wish to carry my PDA when I'm off work.

I don't know if this is available for regular contract customers and I would say definately not for payg customers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Why can't you just divert calls from one number to the other when you are using the other phone?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why can't you just divert calls from one number to the other when you are using the other phone?
    Because the diverted part of the call will be charged to the account of the diverting number.

If it's a PAYG account, and assuming divert is available, then when the credit runs out on the diverting number, the call will not be diverted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member

If you use divert every incoming call that is diverted is charged to that number. I used to use this before but it ended up costing me a fortune.

I guess it really benefits people who get a lot of calls diverted. Everybodys situation is different, this is the ideal solution to my particular problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vodafone do support this yes it is called Multi sim, 1 number for multiple devices, u can have up to 10 sims associated to 1 device. you have to switch which device/sim you wish to activate tho by typing in a code

also you are limited on which price plan you can have on that also
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BoBaDoB wrote:
    Vodafone do support this yes it is called Multi sim, 1 number for multiple devices, u can have up to 10 sims associated to 1 device. you have to switch which device/sim you wish to activate tho by typing in a code

also you are limited on which price plan you can have on that also

Sounds good, any one found a link for this, I am looking but no luck.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks,
    Looks like it is only open to business, and also £5 per month seems a bit steep.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks,
    Looks like it is only open to business, and also £5 per month seems a bit steep.
    If you look at the main multi sim page http://www.vodafonebusiness.co.uk/index.php?page=139
    its now £7 +vat
    even more of a rip off
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    I solved this problem by contacting my operator saying I'd lost my mobile and wanted a replacement sim with the same number. Now have two sims with same number in two phones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I solved this problem by contacting my operator saying I'd lost my mobile and wanted a replacement sim with the same number. Now have two sims with same number in two phones.

I take it your not on o2 then as this isn't possible.

The other networks should have simply changed the Sim serial number reg to your account so both sim cards cannot work at the same time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    We have just returned from Spain , there with Movistr we had 3 yes THREE :) sims with the same number we could have up to 5 the charge was €3 p/m per card before you ask 1 - car phone 2- my mobile 3- wifes mobile. it works fine Come on UK providers catch up!
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,594
    Forum Member
    Garyo2 wrote: »
    I take it your not on o2 then as this isn't possible.

It wouldn't work on EE either, when the replacement sim is issued the process automatically deactivates the original sim.

It's a strange thought by bigstunnerdude, if the first sim was reported lost the network would never leave the sim active, it could be used at any time in the future if it was found by a third party (and leave the network open to the loss incurred on the original sim).
  • DevoidDroidDevoidDroid Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    ...Come on UK providers catch up!

If they haven't caught up in 8 years I don't think they ever will.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use the same SIM card on 3 mobile phones and there has never been a problem.
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they haven't caught up in 8 years I don't think they ever will.

There's no profit in catching up ;-)
    Forum Member
    david16 wrote: »
    I use the same SIM card on 3 mobile phones and there has never been a problem.

That's not what is meant, unless you are saying you have 3 mobile phones, and 3 SIM cards in those phones and all 3 have the same number?
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    That's not what is meant, unless you are saying you have 3 mobile phones, and 3 SIM cards in those phones and all 3 have the same number?

It is allowed, you having one SIM card sharing 3 phones. That is what I do.
    Forum Member
    david16 wrote: »
    It is allowed, you having one SIM card sharing 3 phones. That is what I do.

Anyone can use one simcard in 3 phones, the OP's requirement was the equivalent of 3 SIM cards with the same number to work in 3 phones.

It's not the same as just moving your one sim around amongst many phones.
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holy thread resurrection Batman!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »
    Anyone can use one simcard in 3 phones, the OP's requirement was the equivalent of 3 SIM cards with the same number to work in 3 phones.

It's not the same as just moving your one sim around amongst many phones.

so if there is any incoming call or message, it will arrive in 3 phones at the same time? I'm so confused :confused:
    Forum Member
    daisy_fay wrote: »
    so if there is any incoming call or message, it will arrive in 3 phones at the same time? I'm so confused :confused:

No, there is a short code sent to the network to make one of the the cards the active card, only one receives calls at a time.

It was designed in the days of fixed car phones and separate handhelds, when you got in the car you would short code to make the car phone live and vice versa to the handheld mobile when you left the car.