My rule of thumb to spot a bad film!

13»

Comments

• stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Any film with Tom Green in it - please don't mention "Freddy Got Fingered"!

Any film with Julian Sands in - with the exception of "A Room With a View" as that is the only decent film he has been in.
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just remembered another obvious one.

When the film poster/DVD cover is a high contrast, grey/blue tinted shot of someone holding a gun or weapon of some sort and either looking down or with head bowed but eyes looking up and forward with a scene of urban destruction in the background.

At one point last year that accounted for 16 out of the top 20 DVDs in Morrison's.

(No, I don't buy my films from Morrison's.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kegsie wrote: »
    If the film is based on a video game. This for instance will undoubtedly be one of the worst movies of all time

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/23463568

No you see, I'd argue with that as an over-simplification.

...then I clicked on the link. :cry:
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    cazzz wrote: »
    another for Vince Vaughan, Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston (always plays Rachel from Friends)

99 % agree with that, except Aniston was pretty good in Horrible Bosses. She broke out of her shell and was a bit different.

Other than that, spot on !
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    The presence of any combination of the following:
    Gerard Butler
    Irish Film Board
    Lottery Funding
    Taylor Lautner
    Owen Wilson
    Vince Vaughan

You missed -
    Taylor Kitsch
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You missed -
    Taylor Kitsch

No, he's too bland to be annoying and I actually liked "John Carter".
    Butler, Wilson and Vaughan are so convinced of their own greatness that they've become truly repellent.
    See also Ben Stiller.
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remakes.

Yep any remake, re-imagining etc of an old TV show or film, usually from the 70s or 80s, as movie makers are too lazy to come up with their own ideas for new films so just rip off an existing one. Mostly I feel disappointed with the remake as it pales into comparison of the original.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    No you see, I'd argue with that as an over-simplification.

...then I clicked on the link. :cry:

Why do they have to mess? A film of Gran Turismo? Seriously? What kind of plot is it going to have? It's a bleedin' racing game, for God's sake! What next? Film adaptations of Lemmings or Tetris? I despair, I really do. :cry:

Meanwhile the video game industry thrives with actual video games that have stories on a par to match movies, and increasingly featuring the voices of well-known actors. Take Beyond: Two Souls for example; featuring the voices of Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe, and out on PS3 in October. :cool:
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    If the majority of the film's poster is taken up with one word reviews - "Awesome! - Angling Times", "Outstanding - Practical Caravan" - and loads of four and five stars.

Generally that means a rubbish film with an abnormally high marketing budget.

When films never use full quotes from critics on their posters. Such as:
    “…the movie of the decade!” Daily Bugle. “When it comes to bad films, this is the movie of the decade!”
    “…totally amazing…!” Weekly Splurge “How this rubbish was ever made is totally amazing!”
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find that if the credits contain any two of the following words (Gooding, Dyer, Cuba, Danny) then you know it'll be a stinker
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What next? Film adaptations of Lemmings or Tetris?

There are a few 'Tetris: The Movie' spoof trailers on YouTube, which are mildly amusing.
    Forum Member
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    There are a few 'Tetris: The Movie' spoof trailers on YouTube, which are mildly amusing.

Really? I'll have to look at them, cheers.
    Forum Member
    I had a look at some of those spoof Tetris the Movie trailers. They look the type of film that would be spectacularly bad! Someone on YouTube has actually made a real 'Tetris: The Movie'! :rolleyes: It's basically a 73 minute video of a Swedish bloke playing Tetris on a computer! Here's the link for anyone who's interested ;) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl6cWFlOZzw)

Still, I wouldn't put it past one of these big Hollywood producers to say "Right, we're gonna make a movie of Tetris! Big, flying blocks causing havoc all over the place!" or something like that one day. And the thing is, people would actually go and see it, wouldn't they. :rolleyes: I mean, they made a film of Battleship, so I think it's a question of when, not if they ever make a movie like Tetris or similar.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well a synopsis for a Tetris movie could go like this-
    The Tetrians of the planet Tetris have different factions spread across the planet. Years of war have left the different communities desolate and starving. Yet through the power of recently discovered technology from a 1980s space craft from the planet Earth that crash lands on the planet, the Tetrians learn how to work together and just fit in.

Or something.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Why do they have to mess? A film of Gran Turismo? Seriously? What kind of plot is it going to have? It's a bleedin' racing game, for God's sake! What next? Film adaptations of Lemmings or Tetris? I despair, I really do. :cry:

Meanwhile the video game industry thrives with actual video games that have stories on a par to match movies, and increasingly featuring the voices of well-known actors. Take Beyond: Two Souls for example; featuring the voices of Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe, and out on PS3 in October. :cool:
    It looks as if the filmworld is eyeing videogames with keen interest these days.

Assassin's Creed, Need for Speed and Deus Ex are all heading for the big screen apparently.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think I've seen it done so much recently, but a TV advert were people are "interviewed" about how brilliant a film after they come out of the cinema.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks as if the filmworld is eyeing videogames with keen interest these days.

Assassin's Creed, Need for Speed and Deus Ex are all heading for the big screen apparently.

Oh please no :(. Mind you, Olympus Has Fallen just felt like the last act of Splinter Cell:Conviction.
    balthasar wrote: »
    1. If the film has more scriptwriters than actors.

7. Damon Lindelof was allowed anywhere near the script.

I like these :). My rule of thumb is whether I can sit through first five-ten minutes. Don't mind if Oscar winner or Asylum b-movie, same rule applies. I even managed to get through Doom.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    jeff_vader wrote: »
    Oh please no :(. Mind you, Olympus Has Fallen just felt like the last act of Splinter Cell:Conviction.
    There's going to be a Splinter Cell film too :D

(Tom Hardy's signed up for it, I think.)
    Forum Member
    Don't think I've seen it done so much recently, but a TV advert were people are "interviewed" about how brilliant a film after they come out of the cinema.

God, yes! I absolutely hate that! Just smacks of cheesiness and shows that the film is that rubbish that they have to fill the TV advert with idiots saying the film was brilliant and worthy of an Oscar. :mad:
  • sergio2006sergio2006 Posts: 3,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My rule is that there is no such thing as a bad film. Just some are better than others.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Irish Film Board

http://directory.irishfilmboard.ie/films/853-the-guard

Brilliant film.

Owen Wilson

Shanghai Noon
    Behind Enemy Lines

(OK, no 'combinations' there...)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And it does seem Ubisoft will have a more hands opn approach to the film of Assassin's Creed than other gamesmakers have to films of their games:

http://variety.com/2012/digital/news/new-regency-fox-partner-on-ubisoft-s-assassin-s-creed-1118061053/