Options

ED: When is Kirin going to find out?!?

Comments

• Options
    Redhead69Redhead69 Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think something like that will happen, otherwise why make the baby premature ! I feel sorry for Adam, James and Moira. They are all bonding with the baby and will be devasted when the truth comes out. Victoria will be the only one relieved though !
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to IMDB, Adam Fielding has Irish-Italian parents.

I wonder why they didn't hire an Asian actor to plan an Asian character.
  • Options
    NoushNoush Posts: 4,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    I wonder why they didn't hire an Asian actor to plan an Asian character.

Exactly!

Corrie is ridiculous as well. I mean have you seen Simon Barlow???? He is soooooooo clearly mixed race!!!

TPTB are so silly sometimes.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maddalene wrote: »
    Vanessa is a hair breadth away from being a paedophile, she was almost forty and he was seventeen. However, it is legal.
    Incorrect. A paedophile is attracted to pre-pubescent children. So Kirin is several years beyond that. Not a "hair's breadth" at all.
  • Options
    JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    Bit ot, but I've been wondering if the actor who plays Kirin is actually Asian? For some reason, I thought he was white.

Yes, he could pass for mixed race Asian/White, but certainly doesn't look to be of full Asian descent. Conversely, Priya, who is supposed to be an Asian/White mix looks fully Asian, and the latest baby to play her daughter with David, who should be a quarter Asian, also looks fully Asian.

Starting to sound obsessed, but I find this interesting as my daughters are mixed race Asian/White. Genes are funny things. The older one currently looks fully Asian, having picked up a tan while travelling in Europe for 5 weeks and having her dad's features, and the younger one is only slightly darker than me, with my features. She looks Greek or Italian.
    Incorrect. A paedophile is attracted to pre-pubescent children. So Kirin is several years beyond that. Not a "hair's breadth" at all.

Absolutely right.
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paedophile is the wrong word, but Vanessa is still disgusting.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pandora. wrote: »
    Paedophile is the wrong word, but Vanessa is still disgusting.

I agree. They say age isn't an issue but in some instances, it really is.
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noush wrote: »
    Exactly!

Corrie is ridiculous as well. I mean have you seen Simon Barlow???? He is soooooooo clearly mixed race!!!

Maybe that's going to be a story for the future.
    Peter isn't Simons real dad.
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    craig_25 wrote: »
    I'm glad that we're seeing exactly how ruthless Rakesh can actually be, he isn't guilt tripped easily and has shown that he won't be pushed to do something he doesn't want to, just because other people see it as being the right thing. He has his own agenda, and whilst his actions may be abhorrent, he has more backbone than most men in soap these days, whilst he loves Priya, he is going against her wishes and advice and doing what he feels is best for his son. It might be wrong and incredibly controlling but in a twisted way I quite admire that he's willing to see this through and stick by his plan even if it is falling apart. He won't willingly reveal the truth unless he is absolutely forced to.

I think that he is an awful father, selfish and disgusting.
    Johnnie is his GRANDSON and may die and still he doesn't come clean.
  • Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that he is an awful father, selfish and disgusting.
    Johnnie is his GRANDSON and may die and still he doesn't come clean.

No one is denying that. I'm just glad we've finally got a villain who is actually as ruthless, heartless and selfish as they are presented to be. I don't agree with Rakesh's actions but he's a dam sight more interesting than wet lettuce 'villains' like Jai!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noush wrote: »
    Exactly!

Simon does appear to not be fully white. I think it's more funny than anything else tbh. It's like an elephant in the room and makes his scenes a bit awkward at times. I don't really mind though.
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

True but lets have Ross Barton knock up Belle and see the reaction both on here and in the media to that storyline. Lets see if everyone is so damn liberal about it then and saying stuff like they're a "nice couple" which I saw on this forum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True but lets have Ross Barton knock up Belle and see the reaction both on here and in the media to that storyline. Lets see if everyone is so damn liberal about it then and saying stuff like they're a "nice couple" which I saw on this forum.

It's only because Belle looks really young, but Kirin doesn't. I honestly thought the actor was around 25 when he joined the show. The actress who plays Belle could pass for younger than 17 easily.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's only because Belle looks really young, but Kirin doesn't. I honestly thought the actor was around 25 when he joined the show. The actress who plays Belle could pass for younger than 17 easily.

That's hardly relevant what age someone looks. If anything thats the producers trying to somehow glamourise it and make a teenager banging a 30 year old. Wasn't he in his uniform for a tryst of theirs, talk about sick.

Eden Taylor Draper will be 18 in October so she's less than two months of full adulthood but people would still take issue if she was to get an older man just cause she "looks young" in Emmerdale but see no issue with Vanessa/Kirin its gross hypocrisy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's hardly relevant what age someone looks. If anything thats the producers trying to somehow glamourise it and make a teenager banging a 30 year old. Wasn't he in his uniform for a tryst of theirs, talk about sick.

Eden Taylor Draper will be 18 in October so she's less than two months of full adulthood but people would still take issue if she was to get an older man just cause she "looks young" in Emmerdale but see no issue with Vanessa/Kirin its gross hypocrisy.
    Brilliant post (and your other one above).

Vanessa/Kirin is disgusting, as would be Belle/Jai (for example, the ages are accurate).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Who are these people you're talking about? Plenty of people here dislike Vanessa and Kirin together and some older men keep making comments about Belle's looks, which makes it sound like they wouldn't be that opposed to her dating an older man.

Kirin was wearing a college uniform. Since adults of all ages go to college, I didn't really think anything of it, although I did think it was odd that some colleges have uniforms.

It shouldn't be relevant, but it's less awkward to watch. I don't like Kirin and Vanessa, but I would be even more creeped out if he looked younger.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It shouldn't be relevant, but it's less awkward to watch. I don't like Kirin and Vanessa, but I would be even more creeped out if he looked younger.

Which is clearly what the producers want, they have no intention of presenting this as an inappropriate relationship whereas if the gender roles were reverse or if it was a gay relationship it would be considered creepy and inappropriate for someone like Vanessa to want to be with a teenager.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who are these people you're talking about? Plenty of people here dislike Vanessa and Kirin together and some older men keep making comments about Belle's looks, which makes it sound like they wouldn't be that opposed to her dating an older man.

Kirin was wearing a college uniform. Since adults of all ages go to college, I didn't really think anything of it, although I did think it was odd that some colleges have uniforms.

I don't think there's many people who actually like Kirin and Vanessa, and even fewer who'd like to see Belle with anyone older than Kirin. Whilst the actor might be older, Kirin is more or less Belle's age so in my book, they make for a lovely couple, I'd much prefer see her with Kirin than sex offender, weirdo Lachlan, and he's the only other option at present!

I don't understand why they made Kirin SO young, he should have come in as a college leaver at about 19, his relationship with Vanessa would still be quite shocking without bordering on disgusting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is clearly what the producers want, they have no intention of presenting this as an inappropriate relationship whereas if the gender roles were reverse or if it was a gay relationship it would be considered creepy and inappropriate for someone like Vanessa to want to be with a teenager.

Hasn't it been called wrong or weird by other characters though? I thought that Leyla said something and Rakesh clearly doesn't want them together.
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say 17 is an adult - he could marry, leave home, be a parent- but a 17 is at a very different stage from someone of 40 . It would have been much better IMO if Kirin had been say mid 20s. I just don't see how Vanessa and Kirin can have enough in common to build a long term relationship. I'm always surprised that Rhona and Paddy are so unquestioning of the relationship. I don' t think it shows Vanessa in a good light. I don't think Vanessa's taking advantage of Kirin, but it still makes me uncomfortable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hasn't it been called wrong or weird by other characters though? I thought that Leyla said something and Rakesh clearly doesn't want them together.
    I think the main problem is that the show's agenda seems to want us to see Leyla/Rakesh as wrong and the Vanessa-Kirin relationship as a positive thing, when in reality it isn't.

It may be legally passable, but it comes dangerously close to grooming (and that's even without the question of the psychological impact a relationship and pregnancy with such an age gap on someone who was legally a child with it began).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pandora. wrote: »
    I think the main problem is that the show's agenda seems to want us to see Leyla/Rakesh as wrong and the Vanessa-Kirin relationship as a positive thing, when in reality it isn't.

It may be legally passable, but it comes dangerously close to grooming (and that's even without the question of the psychological impact a relationship and pregnancy with such an age gap on someone who was legally a child with it began).

I don't think you could ever accuse Vanessa of even coming close to grooming. She pulled him in a nightclub and went back to his, where they slept together, in her view he was in his 20's and there was nothing inappropriate about it.

If you mean that her actions now, where she is attempting to grow close to him via a friendship, could be deemed similar to grooming, I'm not sure I could agree, he is legally a man, and quite mature for his age.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say 17 is an adult - he could marry, leave home, be a parent- but a 17 is at a very different stage from someone of 40 . It would have been much better IMO if Kirin had been say mid 20s. I just don't see how Vanessa and Kirin can have enough in common to build a long term relationship. I'm always surprised that Rhona and Paddy are so unquestioning of the relationship. I don' t think it shows Vanessa in a good light. I don't think Vanessa's taking advantage of Kirin, but it still makes me uncomfortable.

This is the other problem, characters seem unfazed by them together. As was said they could have made Kirin 19 going on 20 and then the cougar storyline they were clearly so desperate to do would have been less creepy and more plausible. Then they shove in a pregnancy too to only make the storyline even more dreadful.

Imagine if your 17 year old son got a 30 something year old woman pregnant, how full on weird and disturbing would that be. Teenage parents are bad enough without the other half being ineligible for a Club 18-30 holiday they're so old.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    craig_25 wrote: »
    I don't think you could ever accuse Vanessa of even coming close to grooming. She pulled him in a nightclub and went back to his, where they slept together, in her view he was in his 20's and there was nothing inappropriate about it.

If you mean that her actions now, where she is attempting to grow close to him via a friendship, could be deemed similar to grooming, I'm not sure I could agree, he is legally a man, and quite mature for his age.
    My apologies - I was half concentrating on something else, grooming wasn't the word I intended.