Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 9)

Comments

• Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    peter3hg wrote: »
    Personally I can't see a more fitting tribute than a game against local rivals with a minutes silence. When Manchester United had the 50th anniversary of Munich game against Manchester City in retro kits that was a fantastic tribute. The game on Sunday isn't until 6pm. Surely a memorial could still be held at midday?

That's Manchester United's decision. Liverpool's decision may be different. Both should be respected, without "well (X) did it so (Y) should do it it too!" arguments.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's Manchester United's decision. Liverpool's decision may be different. Both should be respected, without "well (X) did it so (Y) should do it it too!" arguments.

We should really wait for Fergie to have is say on this before making a decision. He's left it a bit late but I'm sure we'll be happy to play on Sunday if he sees fit;)
  • SweetlikeheavenSweetlikeheaven Posts: 5,035
    Forum Member
    Just had a look at the table and it's very likely we'll slip into the bottom half on the weekend if we don't beat Blackburn

The problem is I don't think we'll beat Blackburn

Imagine being sat in the bottom half with 5 games to go :eek:
    When was the last time that happened ?
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Just wanted to say thanks to the guys on this thread who said some nice things about me the other day. Much appreciated.

Liverpool should NEVER have to play on the anniversary so long as there are friends and relatives of the victims still alive who would normally attend games. I can't imagine anything worse than having to pick between attending a game or paying my respects to a friend/relative id lost through doing the exact same thing.

Other clubs play and thats fine and totally up to them but if Liverpool don't want to then that should be the end of the matter.
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    Miss_Moo wrote: »
    Have you ever watched one of the memorial services?

Contrast that with Batdude who earlier today said that if he was unable to watch it even he as a MUFC fan would record it and watch it afterwards which shows that JFT96 transcends clubs and all other tribal loyalties.

Now BD is a MU nut, and I bet we disgaree on many things football wise, no doubt he prob hates Suarez, loves Evra, hates Kenny, loves Ferguson and as a MU fan that is his right but on the Hillsborough issue he is right with us - as imo all fans should be. Respect to him and the many others for that.

Yes I can see that some clubs play on their anniversaries and that is their choice, LFC choose not to and that is our choice too. In some ways dare i say it, perhaps it is illogical but now it is a tradition in the club which I doubt will ever be broken. Current players all attend as do many former players and players from other clubs too - simply cos they want to pay their respects at what is always a very moving service and to demonstrate that some things are more important than a game of football. The behaviour of Itandje a year or two ago was nothing short of disgraceful and showed modern footballers in the worst light and it is why he was unsuitable to be a LFC player, he did not play again after that. Of course the ongoing fight for justice too motivates people to turn up and show solidarity. Could you imagine telling the families that the players would not be there cos they had more important things to do - play a game of football in order to help out Chelsea FC. Imagine the hurt that would cause the families and others closely involved.

Just think it through before you post again on the matter Peter. Perhaps you did not realise how wrong you are but hopefully maybe you do now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Just wanted to say thanks to the guys on this thread who said some nice things about me the other day. Much appreciated.

Liverpool should NEVER have to play on the anniversary so long as there are friends and relatives of the victims still alive who would normally attend games. I can't imagine anything worse than having to pick between attending a game or paying my respects to a friend/relative id lost through doing the exact same thing.

Other clubs play and thats fine and totally up to them but if Liverpool don't want to then that should be the end of the matter.

Well said, and thank you! I believe you are a long lost legend in these forums, so welcome back! :)
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    Just had a look at the table and it's very likely we'll slip into the bottom half on the weekend if we don't beat Blackburn

The problem is I don't think we'll beat Blackburn

Imagine being sat in the bottom half with 5 games to go :eek:
    When was the last time that happened ?

shocking!!
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,509
    Forum Member
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    No, not when your posts are oozing bitterness, accusing us of being disrespectful to other clubs and then making snide comments about some past LFC fans' behaviour at OT. Liverpool FC will not play on April 15th through respect to the families, victims and to remember the tragedy. Liverpool AND Everton fans lost friends and family that day. LFC as a club has the right to request not to play on such a painful anniversary. Will that do you?

What an aggressive post?
    People outside of Liverpool simply do not understand why the team will not play on April 15th. Juventus fans play on the anniversary of Heysel, Rangers on the anniversary of Ibrox, Bradford play on the anniversary of their stand blaze etc. We play on Remembrance Sunday which commemorates millions of lives lost.
    Not being religious and hating hymns and preaching, I cannot think of a more fitting tribute than playing a game of football; considering the tragedy that affected football fans and their families and friends.
    If Liverpool fans don't get others confusion fair enough and everyone has a right to hold their opinion. No need to be aggressive in response.
    Forum Member
    Osusana wrote: »
    What an aggressive post?
    People outside of Liverpool simply do not understand why the team will not play on April 15th. Juventus fans play on the anniversary of Heysel, Rangers on the anniversary of Ibrox, Bradford play on the anniversary of their stand blaze etc. We play on Remembrance Sunday which commemorates millions of lives lost.
    Not being religious and hating hymns and preaching, I cannot think of a more fitting tribute than playing a game of football; considering the tragedy that affected football fans and their families and friends.
    If Liverpool fans don't get others confusion fair enough and everyone has a right to hold their opinion. No need to be aggressive in response.

If i had lost a family member at a football match i genuinely can't think of a less fitting tribute than being expected to attend a football match on the anniversary of their death.

However maybe Liverpool SHOULD play - i really don't know and i don't think i would unless i was in that situation, but the fact remains that Liverpool don't want to play on that date and i think a bit of empathy from the rest of the football world isn't a huge ask tbh, there by the grace of God and all that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welcome back Cantona07. Common sense. Long missed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an aggressive post?

What's to not understand or be confused about exactly? We don't want to play on that day. Deal with it.
    Forum Member
    If i had lost a family member at a football match i genuinely can't think of a less fitting tribute than being expected to attend a football match on the anniversary of their death.

However maybe Liverpool SHOULD play - i really don't know and i don't think i would unless i was in that situation, but the fact remains that Liverpool don't want to play on that date and i think a bit of empathy from the rest of the football world isn't a huge ask tbh, there by the grace of God and all that.

You see that's the bit I have trouble with - Hillsborough was absolutely nothing to do with any divine influence and worshipping said divine influence in commemoration is not fitting IN MY OPINION.

Having said that - I TRULY respect Liverpool Football Club's stance on this whilst at the same time I do have trouble understanding it.
    Forum Member
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    What's to not understand or be confused about exactly? We don't want to play on that day. Deal with it.

Aggression again instead of a balanced attempt to explain?
    Forum Member
    You see that's the bit I have trouble with - Hillsborough was absolutely nothing to do with any divine influence and worshipping said divine influence in commemoration is not fitting IN MY OPINION.

Having said that - I TRULY respect Liverpool Football Club's stance on this whilst at the same time I do have trouble understanding it.

The victims that day could have been guys supporting my club or your club so therefore its a football fan issue on the whole not a specific football club issue.

To me its a total non-issue. Liverpool lost 96 brothers sisters husbands wives sons and dads and they don't want to ask people to have to do the same thing on the anniversary that the victims did - attend a game. Why is it a big deal, let them have their memorial and play on a different day. Its the compassionate and right thing to do.
  • TribecTribec Posts: 9,330
    Forum Member
    Now I've had discussions else where with others in here over the whole 15th April debate. I know I'm not the best person to debate it for the reasons I've stated to them. I do believe that sooner or later Liverpool will play on that date.

One thing though that I think a lot of people are missing out on from other clubs here. Is that by trying to force Liverpool to play this up coming game on Sunday, we forget that this would be first time since 1989 they'd be playing on that date, and significantly it would be an FA Cup Semi Final, just as it was back then. Had Liverpool had played on this date before, then I could understand the the constant sniping by certain area's of the press. However they have not and it would cause a lot of hurt within the fan base for sure had they agreed to switch to a Sunday.

Thanks to those that I spoke to, I know my opinion isn't exactly "normal", but I do respect this particular tme the more I think about it for the above reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aggression again instead of a balanced attempt to explain?

I wasn't being aggressive (you know that of course) and there's nothing that requires explanation (you know that too).

:)
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    shocking!!

Still gotta go to Norwich & Swansea as well and I'll don't think we will win either game.
    Forum Member
    The victims that day could have been guys supporting my club or your club so therefore its a football fan issue on the whole not a specific football club issue.

To me its a total non-issue. Liverpool lost 96 brothers sisters husbands wives sons and dads and they don't want to ask people to have to do the same thing on the anniversary that the victims did - attend a game. Why is it a big deal, let them have their memorial and play on a different day. Its the compassionate and right thing to do.

Fair enough and for the record I am not, nor ever have said, that LFC should play on that day. It just seems that a reasonable debate is not possible.
  • CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tribec wrote: »
    Now I've had discussions else where with others in here over the whole 15th April debate. I know I'm not the best person to debate it for the reasons I've stated to them. I do believe that sooner or later Liverpool will play on that date.

One thing though that I think a lot of people are missing out on from other clubs here. Is that by trying to force Liverpool to play this up coming game on Sunday, we forget that this would be first time since 1989 they'd be playing on that date, and significantly it would be an FA Cup Semi Final, just as it was back then. Had Liverpool had played on this date before, then I could understand the the constant sniping by certain area's of the press. However they have not and it would cause a lot of hurt within the fan base for sure had they agreed to switch to a Sunday.

Thanks to those that I spoke to, I know my opinion isn't exactly "normal", but I do respect this particular tme the more I think about it for the above reason.

I don't think any manager or chairman in charge of LFC will ever let that happen. I hate the scousers with a passion, most of my family are LFC fans, my old man and brothers watch a lot of LFC games and could easily have been there that day. Luckily for me and my family they weren't. I have to say I have the utmost respect for LFC in the way they have handled everything to do with Hillsborough and their dignity in dealing with the lies and their search for the truth.
  • peter3hgpeter3hg Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would just like to apologise for my comments in this thread (which were not trolling or being bitter as some very unhelpful people claim).
    Clearly I was not fully aware of how important this memorial was to those affected.
    Forum Member
    Fair enough and for the record I am not, nor ever have said, that LFC should play on that day. It just seems that a reasonable debate is not possible.

Well as a United fan i can take a step back from it a bit which may be very hard for a Liverpool fans to do given the way the whole tragedy had been handled. Its understandable that it sparks huge emotions.

I think its important to put club loyalties aside for things such as this because in many ways the whole of football were the victims that day - the colours the fans wore shouldn't matter and if Liverpool don't want to play on the date all football fans should respect it IMO.
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an aggressive post?

I thought you'd turn up at some point. You're entitled to your opinion, but to suggest Liverpool should play on the anniversary just because other teams do is narrow-minded and simplistic. I nearly lost my dad at Hillsborough. If I lived in Liverpool I would be gutted to have to choose between attending a football match or attending the Hillsborough memorial service, which I'm guessing you've never watched or experienced otherwise you'd have more understanding of Liverpool FC's POV. Aggressive? Perhaps, but I stand by my opinion that that FM was not solely interested in our stance on this, considering the snide comments and the inability to understand where we're coming from.
    peter3hg wrote: »
    I would just like to apologise for my comments in this thread (which were not trolling or being bitter as some very unhelpful people claim).
    Clearly I was not fully aware of how important this memorial was to those affected.

Thank you - oh and call me unhelpful all you like, I stand by my post 100%.
    Well as a United fan i can take a step back from it a bit which may be very hard for a Liverpool fans to do given the way the whole tragedy had been handled. Its understandable that it sparks huge emotions.

I think its important to put club loyalties aside for things such as this because in many ways the whole of football were the victims that day - the colours the fans wore shouldn't matter and if Liverpool don't want to play on the date all football fans should respect it IMO.

Welcome back C07. You've been missed. And thanks for your constructive post on this sensitive subject.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said earlier, I will never, and would never say anything bad about your tragic event, just as I hope that no-one here says anything bad about our own very personal tragic event.

Just to add my own opinion on the matter, I may not like a lot of things about your club, but one of the things that I do admire greatly is your standpoint on this matter, the fact that you have a whole day dedicated to an event that is way, way bigger than any football match, a match can be moved, replayed etc, a service to honour and mark the dead, on the actual day, cannot be moved, so on this matter I do actually congratulate you, and if I am to be one hundred percent honest, I am a tiny bit envious that we don't have this stand over the Air Crash situation/date.

So I say, good on you for standing up for your principles, it is one area where people should come together, put aside their differences and just pay their respects, as at that time, it could have happened to any club at any time, Liverpool and their fans were just at the wrong place and the wrong time.
    I hope that the service is a good one, good luck with it, I hope that there will be no morons trying to spoil it.
  • peter3hgpeter3hg Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    I Thank you - oh and call me unhelpful all you like, I stand by my post 100%.

Find any other post I've made that was "trolling". Unless you think I've hung around on here for 5 and a half years biding my time just to troll the Liverpool Supporters thread. If that was the case wouldn't I have been in here goading you after half your games this year?
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Welcome back, it's great to see a sensible comment on this. We didn't always agree, but it's good to see someone return who is capable of sensible debate.
This discussion has been closed.