The presenters

MaestraMaestra Posts: 1,521
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My, how they show up Bruce and Tess's cringeworthy efforts!

He's so suave and witty, Bruce couldn't match his adlibbing in a million years. And then the glam sidekick who manages to read the autocue while looking amazing and NOT gurning at the camera when it's his turn to speak...
The US shows wins on so many counts for me - all they lack is Craig on the panel!

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find Samantha Harris highly irritating. Tom Bergeron is ok though, he's pretty laid back and amusing at the same time.

I like Bruce and think he does a good job considering he's now 80.
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    I feel that Tom and Samantha play the funny man/straight girl just as Bruce and Tess do, although perhaps more in tune with the U.S. sense of humour. Samantha I find is a bit too matter- of- fact in her delivery, but I do like Tom's dry wit.
  • martyboymartyboy Posts: 1,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom is very cool and capable whenever the unexpected happens, as it so often seems to.

I imagine he's getting advice down his earpiece, but he's still pretty cool.

When Marie Osmond collapsed Tom was right on it, while Len and co looked on with mouths open.

Tom's handling of events is quite different to Bruce's say, when Ramps and Karen had to stop. Bruce was funny, but quite flustered, looking round and openly asking for permission on what to do. Maybe that's just Bruce's style. Bruce's joke with the girl who came on to fix the mike was funny, but he seemed all of a dither.

Tom mangages to be able to ad lib back on top of a lot of the judges jokes too, which requires some quick thinking, seeing as he's directing the events at the same time (I suppose those jokes are not prerehearsed).

And he's very natural and warm when he did things like sitting down on the floor with Shannon when she was tired out. And getting on his knees to talk with the kiddie dancers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    Tom has really grown on me since I started watching DWTS; I thought he'd be generic but he has a great sense of humour and a ready wit for the unexpected (like when the autocue gave him the wrong lines to read).
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like Tom and Sam, they seem to be able to bring in just enough humour to keep the program lighthearted without trying to turn it into some cheap comedy as Bruce does in Strictly. And Sam's dresses are amazing.
  • ElsaElsa Posts: 3,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know Mark and Karen had to stop dancing once -- did one of them get hurt?

And to stay on topic, I'm in America and I love Tom, whom I think is very quick-witted, but Samantha makes me cringe - she's stupid, I think, and asks daft questions backstage.

I love to watch both Brucie and Tess. They both seem very sweet - and Brucie's ad libs are cute (though some of his scripted stuff seems a bit corny.) So SCD wins out on the presenter score for me - well, on every score I guess, but I love both shows.
  • martyboymartyboy Posts: 1,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elsa wrote: »
    I didn't know Mark and Karen had to stop dancing once -- did one of them get hurt?

It was during a salsa. Mark's microphone, which was attached to his shirt, got snagged on Karen's dress, and so they had the microphone lead tying them together, and they had to stop.

There seemed to be some debate, on the floor, about whether they should, or should not, be allowed to restart the dance.

They did restart from the beginning and gave probably the best performance they ever did.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom is laugh out loud funny and very quick but sometimes the way he delivers his lines he sounds like Chandler from Friends and that's off putting. From little comments he's made I think Tom is closer to and knows the pro dancers a lot more than Bruce does.
    I can't think of anything positive to say about Samantha's presenting, she's awful! Dresses are much nicer than Tess' though.