Options

Is this an overreaction?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 714
Forum Member
✭✭
I thought I would ask on here because you will give me an honest answer, rather than just agreeing with me like my mom and friends will. You will probably think this is just teenage drama, but I need to know whether how I feel about the situation is rational or not.

My friend invited me to his birthday meal about 2 weeks ago. One of my other friends was invited the meal but declined because she doesn't like the restaurant that the meal is at. She later said to me "I don't like sleep-overs either", which I was confused about as I hadn't been told about a sleep-over.
I forgot about it until this morning, when he sent me a text which basically said that there is a sleepover after, but he assumed that I wouldn't want to go and only a few people were allowed anyway so I couldn't go, but I could still come to the meal.
At first I was just going to go to the meal and not think anything of it, but when I started thinking about it I got a bit annoyed with him. Not only because he just assumed I wouldn't want to come, but because he hadn't even told me about it at all until 2 weeks after I got the invite, when other people that were going knew straight away. Also, if the girl who dropped out was invited to the sleep-over, surely there would be room for another person?
I'm now considering not going to the meal at all, because it seems to me that he is only inviting me for the sake of it. If you invite someone to a birthday outing, you don't just tell them to go home halfway through but keep all the other there with you. I find it quite rude.

Is it childish if I don't go to the meal, or am I overreacting? Thanks if you read this and reply. Sorry if I just wasted 2 minutes of your life.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I would ask on here because you will give me an honest answer, rather than just agreeing with me like my mom and friends will. You will probably think this is just teenage drama, but I need to know whether how I feel about the situation is rational or not.

My friend invited me to his birthday meal about 2 weeks ago. One of my other friends was invited the meal but declined because she doesn't like the restaurant that the meal is at. She later said to me "I don't like sleep-overs either", which I was confused about as I hadn't been told about a sleep-over.
    I forgot about it until this morning, when he sent me a text which basically said that there is a sleepover after, but he assumed that I wouldn't want to go and only a few people were allowed anyway so I couldn't go, but I could still come to the meal.
    At first I was just going to go to the meal and not think anything of it, but when I started thinking about it I got a bit annoyed with him. Not only because he just assumed I wouldn't want to come, but because he hadn't even told me about it at all until 2 weeks after I got the invite, when other people that were going knew straight away. Also, if the girl who dropped out was invited to the sleep-over, surely there would be room for another person?
    I'm now considering not going to the meal at all, because it seems to me that he is only inviting me for the sake of it. If you invite someone to a birthday outing, you don't just tell them to go home halfway through but keep all the other there with you. I find it quite rude.

Is it childish if I don't go to the meal, or am I overreacting? Thanks if you read this and reply. Sorry if I just wasted 2 minutes of your life.

Yes and yes, sorry :o
  • Options
    Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A similar thing happened to my daughter last year and she didn't over-react to it, but I did.

In this instance a girl who had been at our house for umpteen sleepovers, meals out and all the rest of it had a birthday party including a sleepover for "selected" guests and my daughter didn't get invited AT ALL. She was clearly trying to get in with the "in crowd" and obviously considered my daughter not part of this.

She claimed she was going to have a separate party for her "close" friends afterwards only this never materialised, partly because the sleepover party was a fiasco and her parents forbade her to have another one.

Anyway, sorry for waffling but what I'm trying to say in a very ham fisted way is that I feel your pain. Though as I said, this all happened not to me but to my daughter and she dealt with it an awful lot better than her stupid old mum did! :o

Sometimes it can come as a bit of a slap in the face that certain people we trust and would not expect to be treated badly by can let you down.

Don't cut your nose off to spite your face, if you fancy going along to the meal then go, if you don't then say "Nah, I've got better things to do that night".

Good luck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stickler wrote: »
    Yes and yes, sorry :o

Don't be sorry, I asked for opinions. Thank you :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A similar thing happened to my daughter last year and she didn't over-react to it, but I did.

In this instance a girl who had been at our house for umpteen sleepovers, meals out and all the rest of it had a birthday party including a sleepover for "selected" guests and my daughter didn't get invited AT ALL. She was clearly trying to get in with the "in crowd" and obviously considered my daughter not part of this.

She claimed she was going to have a separate party for her "close" friends afterwards only this never materialised, partly because the sleepover party was a fiasco and her parents forbade her to have another one.

Anyway, sorry for waffling but what I'm trying to say in a very ham fisted way is that I feel your pain. Though as I said, this all happened not to me but to my daughter and she dealt with it an awful lot better than her stupid old mum did! :o

Sometimes it can come as a bit of a slap in the face that certain people we trust and would not expect to be treated badly by can let you down.

Don't cut your nose off to spite your face, if you fancy going along to the meal then go, if you don't then say "Nah, I've got better things to do that night".

Good luck.

Thank you :) I kind of feel like that's what he's doing too. I'm not sure I want to go any more now I know he doesn't want me there, but I'm unsure whether it's just me being stubborn about it or genuinley not wanting to go :o
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will have to excuse me if I get anything wrong here as I don't have my glasses on and found it a bit difficult to read the OP.

I'm sorry but it does come over as a bit of a teenage drama to me, the person cannot have that many people to stay over, maybe it was rude of him to make assumptions but he did ask you to come to the meal (in my expirience people don't want to sit around having food with people they don't like so don't over think it).

Are you the only one not going to the sleepover from the group going out for the meal? To be honest, either way I would go, it's your friend's birthday so on this occasion be gracious for the invite to the meal and just relax and stop over-thinking it. If you don't go you will just spend the whole evening getting annoyed about the whole thing and it's a rather silly thing to get wound up about (although I'm sure it doesn't feel like it at the moment). Hope you do go and have a good time!
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well of course he's only inviting you for the sake of it - because you are his friend - what other ulterior motive could there be ? Go and have fun.

Can I ask how old you are ?

A Birthday MEAL is quite an adult thing ( unless it's a party bag at McDonalds ) but mass SLEEPOVERS are the sort of thing children have, aren't they ? My friend's daughter has sleepovers and she's nine.
  • Options
    MadameLaMinxMadameLaMinx Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have teenage nieces and I do know that there have been occasions where they have done something to celebrate a birthday with a larger group and then a few select friends have then stayed on afterwards for a sleepover but not all.

I wouldn't take it too personally - chances are this is the same sort of thing and that he's only been allowed a certain number to sleepover afterwards- because of space or whatever.

Assuming you haven't slept there before and given the parents reason to think it would be a bad plan for you to sleepover, it's probably just something like this ^^
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neb Adra wrote: »
    Are you the only one not going to the sleepover from the group going out for the meal?

I think there's one other person, but I'm not sure. The rest are all definitely going. I can kind of accept the fact that he doesn't want too many people there, but if he invited my other friend and she's not going, then he has at least one space free.

Babe Rainbow, I'm 15.

Thanks for your posts everyone. I think I'll just get over it and go. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there's one other person, but I'm not sure. The rest are all definitely going. I can kind of accept the fact that he doesn't want too many people there, but if he invited my other friend and she's not going, then he has at least one space free.

Babe Rainbow, I'm 15.

Maybe he invited too many people for the sleepover without checking with his parents and they were annoyed. Might have been relieved when someone pulled out :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Babe Rainbow, I'm 15.

Well if he doesn't want that many there maybe he didn't want to replace the one who dropped out, but like I said previously there's not much point in thinking about it since he's already made the plans. Glad to hear you're going though, have a good time!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hadn't thought of it like that before. I should really just stop assuming the worst from everyone :o

Thank you :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think he would have invited you for the meal for the sake of it, I take it is going to cost him money for you to be there? So that seems like a genuine invitation to me. Go and have a good time :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you should go for the meal - it sounds like he extended a genuine invitation to you, but things got changed along the way, not through any fault of his. He invited you two weeks ago, & there could be any number of reasons why you didn't get told about the sleepover at the time your other friend did, such as the decision to add the sleepover being made after the meal had been decided & him not getting round to telling you at the time.

I suspect he's just found out or has just realised that you didn't know about the sleepover, & either didn't think you'd want to stay or didn't have room. Sometimes events are out of your control, & as he's living at home the final decision on things like numbers won't have been his. If you wanted to go to the meal until you spoke to him, there's no point not going - he invited you because you're his friend, so don't let the way you found out about the sleepover get to you too much. If you don't go, you'll probably hurt yourself more than him - to put it bluntly, the chances are he'll miss you but not for long as he'll have so many other people around him that night, plus I bet you'll still be thinking about it even when you're not there. :) If you decide not to go, then just let him know that something else has come up so you can't make it now, but you hope he has a good time. :)
  • Options
    CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignore-wrong thread :o
  • Options
    smile371smile371 Posts: 10,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How close friends are you with this friend? There are some people who i would consider friendly enough to go out for a meal with, but would feel totally uncomfortable to have stay round. :) But it sounds like you have decided to go, which i think is the right descion :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smile371 wrote: »
    How close friends are you with this friend? There are some people who i would consider friendly enough to go out for a meal with, but would feel totally uncomfortable to have stay round. :) But it sounds like you have decided to go, which i think is the right descion :)

That is a very good point - there are loads of folks I would go out for a meal with but I wouldn't want to spend the whole night with them and then get up in the morning to all that uncomfortable stuff about who gets in the bathroom first and small talk over the breakfast table. I think you have to be very close to someone to spend the night in their home.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can understand if he can only have a certain amount of friends for a sleepover. He has just assumed you wouldn't want to go. When this girl pulled out then he wouldn't have thought to ask you because in his mind he was still thinking that you wouldn't want to go.

So I think you should still go to the meal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm wondering why the OP's friend 'assumed' OP wouldn't want to stay over? Has OP ever stayed over with this friend before?

FWIW, my opinion is that OP should go to the meal, but arrange to go on to do something else afterwards, eg late cinema, over to another friend's house for a stay over ,etc. That way, before the meal finishes, OP can get up and leave (in a friendly manner) birthday boy and the other mates at the table without feeling like Billy Nomates?

I was a bit surprised to hear that a 15 yr old girl was invited for the sleepover, who then rejected it. Perhaps that shows my age!
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    OP, I agree with the advice you've been given. I want to add that when I read your responses, I thought you must be a lot older than you are - I know this is going to sound patronizing but I promise you it's not meant to: Wow! Just wow! You're an exceptionally mature person!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teenage boys have sleepovers?

But no, i dont think youre overracting OP. I couldn't be arsed going either if i was in the same position.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    OP, I agree with the advice you've been given. I want to add that when I read your responses, I thought you must be a lot older than you are - I know this is going to sound patronizing but I promise you it's not meant to: Wow! Just wow! You're an exceptionally mature person!!

Haha, thank you :)

I thought I'd drag this thread back just to say that I'm meant to be quite good friends with this boy. We've been friends for about 3 years and we get on really well. I was a bit confused about why he thought it wasn't my thing because I actually really like sleep-overs. But I'm not going to the meal now at all because of what I've found out today.

He's invited 2 other people who he isn't that good friends with to the sleep over, and one of them is a girl that he says he doesn't like. The other one is my best friend. I asked my best friend if he was going to the sleep over and he said yes, then he asked me and I said no. He then said "I can't not tell you this because I think he's being horrible. He said to me on msn that he's not asking you because he 'knows what you can be like, she thinks she's always right'". I admit that can be true sometimes, but I didn't understand why that was an excuse to not invite me. We're meant to be close friends, and I wouldn't miss out any of my friends over something like that.
    Then my best friend said "And he's said to me and Kim (the other girl) that we might feel a bit awkward because someone else is bringing weed to the party" :rolleyes:

So I figured out that I haven't been asked to the sleep-over because there's going to be drugs there and he knew I would have something to say about it. I would rather not go at all now knowing that we aren't good enough friends for him to tell me the real reason I wasn't invited and what he's said. I know that is immature on my behalf, but I just feel as though he's been a bit rude to me by lying. I'm not bothered about the sleep-over either now I know what it's going to be like.

I've been invited to another meal on the same night now anyway, so hopefully that will be fun :)

Thank you all for replying! I'm sorry I'm going against most of your advice but I think it's for the best now :o
  • Options
    MadameLaMinxMadameLaMinx Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you are right not to go. Have a much better evening at your other meal!! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you all for replying! I'm sorry I'm going against most of your advice but I think it's for the best now :o
    The advice you got was before the information you've just discovered, & that information does change things quite a bit. :) To be honest, if you come across as always thinking you're right, that can be a pain to be around sometimes, but at least on a normal day/night it might be easy for people to deal with it or ignore you. However, when someone's having a celebration, they might not want that person around because they're worried about things getting tense & other people's feelings been hurt by them. I've known people not to be invited to someone's home for dinner for the same reason - who wants to be around someone who hogs the conversation & insists on having the last word, insisting they're right no matter how long it takes them? Although it wasn't nice the way you've found out in the end, perhaps now you know that the way you come across led to you being excluded from the sleepover it might encourage you to address that - even if you're right, it might be worth you keeping that to yourself a bit more & giving other people a chance. :)

I think you are absolutely right to stay away from something involving drugs. It seems you've previously made your views about drugs known, so it was decided not to invite you to the part of the evening where drugs might be present. You're well out of that - apart from not knowing where the drugs could lead to that night, I can't imagine that the parents of the people involved would be too impressed by it. If one set of parents finds out, your own parents are very likely to hear about it. It seems the girl who originally turned down the invitation had the right idea. :)
  • Options
    Maidenfan666Maidenfan666 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    I got really interested in youre story, it reminded me of a certain situation i had to help my wee cousin with when she was 13. dont ask me HOW i got embroiled in it but i did, as she was really upset, and i ended up having to mediate between two warring, shrieking little harpies on the day i took her out to alien wars (which is SHIT by the way, i could have just given a quid to some tramp and asked him to follow me down a dark alley).... anyways lol:

He has apparently treated you very badly, very badly indeed. Youre true friends in life are those that can take you as you are, regardless of what little personality deficiencies you may have. Exluding you due to one of said "deficiencies" is a nasty thing to do, tbh he doesnt sound like someone you could put much faith into. and i think thats vital to a friendship - a developed trust.

I realise that isnt neccesarily advice, but i just thought id add in my musings, sorry!