F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2013 Season

Comments

• F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LiamCarbin wrote: »
    Looks like Johnny Herbert to me

Looked like it to me. He's such a character. Who at the BBC in 2008 thought "Eddie Jordan!!" is a genius in my opinion. I know he annoys some but he is outspoken an entertaining. What more could you want. :D

Ken
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    F1Ken wrote: »
    Looked like it to me. He's such a character. Who at the BBC in 2008 thought "Eddie Jordan!!" is a genius in my opinion. I know he annoys some but he is outspoken an entertaining. What more could you want. :D

Ken

I'm an unabashed fan, far better to errrr on the too opinionated side of the ledger for sports punditary than sitting on the fence all the time! Unintentionally or not, I think he is really good at making his comments and speaking to people in a way that makes you think hes forgotten the camera is there (non swearing aside!) and he is just like he would be when the cameras aren't rolling, which is type of TV I prefer!

Ha maybe now after us hyping him up he will come out tomorrow morning and start claiming he has nothing much to say about the Red Bull drama and he sees both sides of the argument etc etc......:D
  • Chris_WilliamsChris_Williams Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Grosjean just went backwards on the driver tracker before the pit entry but the cameras didn't show him spinning or anything.....:confused:
  • F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,840
    Forum Member
    Jonpollak wrote: »
    What am I... the Aussie Tourist Bureau ??

http://www.charlesdickenstavern.com.au/

Fun place run by surly Serbians
    Jp

You're certainly an experienced traveller! ;)

Cheers have the F1 quali & race only which is good enough for me. Few pints & vodkas. Seems like a good bar
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone here...? Unusually quiet on here considering its a BBC live Qualifying session.
  • Richo2006Richo2006 Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm here DMN - agree, I kept hitting F5 to see if the forum was broken or something.

Unbelievable about Webber, its as if Red Bull are trolling us!
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Anyone here...? Unusually quiet on here considering its a BBC live Qualifying session.

It's about as quiet as on-track...!
  • coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so 8.07am, sky and bbc both talking to Ross, which one was live lol
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,396
    Forum Member
    Nice to see the BBC run the Pits channel from start to finish, Hope they do the same tomorrow.

Sky started it a minute or so late & cut it off pretty much as soon as there post session coverage started.
  • Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Good to see Sky keeping their skypad outside rather than the white tent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Good solid performance from sky through qualy, much prefer the sky commentary team.
    Chandhok did a great job on skypad in Anthony absence, as already said it works well outside.

Notice the BBC were broadcasting in HD for practice 3 and qualy today, must have been a glitch yesterday. The pq was good too.

Nice to have both broadcasters, made a good Sat morning, just watched BBC on recording.
    Suzi is doing a fine job, her tablet is always turned off! She worked well with mad Eddie.
  • EchtiEchti Posts: 435
    Forum Member

Kinda frustrating to see that these fantastic slowmotions shots from the pitlane are only shown during the highlight reel that basically no channel airs...
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so 8.07am, sky and bbc both talking to Ross, which one was live lol

Neither
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    I like to listen to 5live commentry but when I go to the Iplayer, all sessions are saying

'This content doesn't seem to be working, try again later'

Any ideas why?

Using IE9 and all other Iplayer content is working fine.

Thank you.
  • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jules 1 wrote: »
    Amazing how we managed all these years watching the coverage in plain old SD. ;):D

We managed watching in 4:3 with bars down the side, years after every other show had gone widescreen (because Bernie has his TV setup in stretchyvision and therefore couldn't see the problem with missing the 'bigger picture' as he put it). It was still frustrating though to have two black bars down the side of the screen...
  • madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nowt amiss with good 4:3 content though! Have you been watching Motor Racing at the BBC: That Petrol Emotion?
  • AdderAdder Posts: 1,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most impressed that F3 in Silverstone has managed to attract not just 1 Romain Grosjean to race, but ten!
  • DuncanEmeryDuncanEmery Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Richo2006 wrote: »

Unbelievable about Webber, its as if Red Bull are trolling us!
    as long as it isn't Sebotage :p

sorry :o
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as long as it isn't Sebotage :p

sorry :o

You really have to wonder.

As for BBC coverage I thought Suzi and Eddie worked well together.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Just watching the opening to BBC's coverage to free practice 3. All i can say is Suzi still needs to do her homework as she said the session was 90 minutes when the session is only 60 minutes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adder wrote: »
    Most impressed that F3 in Silverstone has managed to attract not just 1 Romain Grosjean to race, but ten!

I noticed that too :D.
  • EastendwhovianEastendwhovian Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Watched both of the Quali shows today. Sky live and I recorded the BBC effort and watched not longer afterwards. Enjoyed both although I felt Sky only had enough content for a 'normal' Quali show i.e. with the adverts and sometimes struggled with little pockets of time, here and there, to fill. I feel Sky need to make a decision over whether to put adverts in the show or not. The adverts don't really bother me they allow me to get a drink or something to eat etc. I think that people who watch Sky when the BBC are live, watch Sky because they genuinely prefer there coverage, I would class myself as one of those people and I feel that Sky should focus producing a high quality show week in, week out no matter whether it is exclusively live or not. I would prefer a consistent show in terms of ad structure whether that means 0,1,2 or 3 ads in a pre-qualifying show, I'm not that fussed just wish Sky wouldn't alter there coverage so deliberately when they are against the beeb.

From what I saw of the BBC coverage, it looked good, Suzi is still settling in and needs time to find a style that she can use that also suits EJ and DC. She stills looks a little nervous, but I'm sure with time her personality will come through. On the whole really enjoyed it...well done Lewis; tough job tomorrow. Should be a good race.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    Adder wrote: »

Andrew Marriott is a terrible commentator though, people moan about Carlton Kirby but at least he is entertaining.
    Marriott won't let his co-commentator finish a sentence, interrupts live commentary on overtakes to read out facts about the drivers past history from his fact sheet and generally is intolerable and annoying.

It got so bad for race 1 that I thought "to hell with this" and went to see if Radio Le Mans were covering the F3 races....
    Yes, they were. Marriott was there too...ARGHHHHHH :p

I knew someone would pull Suzi up on her 90 minutes mistake....
    Awful mistake to make, horrendous, please replace her immediately as she is completely clueless as to session length and therefore F1 itself....RUBBISH, ATROCIOUS AND APPALLING!

Ehhh, we all make mistakes ;)
  • AdderAdder Posts: 1,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew Marriott is a terrible commentator though, people moan about Carlton Kirby but at least he is entertaining.
    Marriott won't let his co-commentator finish a sentence, interrupts live commentary on overtakes to read out facts about the drivers past history from his fact sheet and generally is intolerable and annoying.

It got so bad for race 1 that I thought "to hell with this" and went to see if Radio Le Mans were covering the F3 races....
    Yes, they were. Marriott was there too...ARGHHHHHH :p

No idea who "Johnny" the co-commentator is, but for race 1 they said they had not worked together before, that's clear! Obviously didn't agree beforehand who was going to play what kind of role. It'd be much better if Andy let Johnny call the race and chipped in analysis.
This discussion has been closed.