Latest Scam doing the rounds....

MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,391
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Looked in my mailbox today and found this:
Dear customer,

We attempted to deliver your item at 10:10 AM on Oct 11th, 2013.

The delivery attempt failed because nobody was present at the shipping address, so this notify has been automatically sent.

If the parcel is not scheduled for redelivery or picked up within 72 hours, it will be returned to the sender.

Label Number: 9F6A78CE93
Expected Delivery Date: Oct 11th, 2013

Class: Package Services

Service(s): Delivery Confirmation

Thank you,
(c) 2013 Copyright DHL INC 2013. All Rights Reserved.

*** This is an automatically generated email, please do not reply ***

Had not ordered anything, nor was expecting a parcel or package or any description. The tracking number quoted did not show up on the tracking system on the DHL website. Also the email was dated 24th October when the delivery was "supposed" to of taken place on 11th October. What I did notice however was the addition of a .zip file attachment with the e-mail which i did not open for obvious reasons.

Comments

• Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    I've had several of these in the last month. Ignored them all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    There's a couple of such scams doing the rounds.

One has, as you say, an attachment that they want you to run to try and install malware, likely to try and install something like a keylogger to get passwords etc, or to take over your PC.

The other is that a legitimate company delivers a parcel, or attempts to. When you do take delivery you then get a phone call supposedly from the courier company saying it's been delivered in error and someone will come and collect it. Later someone turns up and collects the parcel, you are none the wiser thinking it';s a genuine mistake. In fact the parcel usually contains a phone, laptop or some other such goods normally bought in your name and address. The "courier" who calls you to advise of the wrong delivery is the scammer, who comes round and collects the goods leaving you with the bill or the hassle of trying to sort things out and prove identity theft.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Looked in my mailbox today and found this:

Had not ordered anything, nor was expecting a parcel or package or any description. The tracking number quoted did not show up on the tracking system on the DHL website. Also the email was dated 24th October when the delivery was "supposed" to of taken place on 11th October. What I did notice however was the addition of a .zip file attachment with the e-mail which i did not open for obvious reasons.

I was going to ask what the point was in sending a scam email that the sender didn't want you to reply to. That was until I saw the bit in bold.

Edit: Just to say that if anyone gets an email from a company that they haven't had dealings with around the time it was sent, it should be obvious that it's a scam.
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    been getting these type of emails for a while now, just ignore them

also get ones about having a flight booked with delta airlines,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had loads like that. I just delete them.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a couple of such scams doing the rounds.

One has, as you say, an attachment that they want you to run to try and install malware, likely to try and install something like a keylogger to get passwords etc, or to take over your PC.

The other is that a legitimate company delivers a parcel, or attempts to. When you do take delivery you then get a phone call supposedly from the courier company saying it's been delivered in error and someone will come and collect it. Later someone turns up and collects the parcel, you are none the wiser thinking it';s a genuine mistake. In fact the parcel usually contains a phone, laptop or some other such goods normally bought in your name and address. The "courier" who calls you to advise of the wrong delivery is the scammer, who comes round and collects the goods leaving you with the bill or the hassle of trying to sort things out and prove identity theft.

I fell victim to this under my company name. Someone hijacked my company domain and registered a fake business address and used my company to order a laptop. Luckily it didn't take me much effort to prove my innocence but I'm baffled as to how these people can get credit accounts from PC world etc without much in the way of proving ID,
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sites like Snopes or Hoax Slayer are always good for checking these thoughts of things out, if in doubt...Google it. They must work however for these sorts of things to continue. Flight confirmation tickets was one that I got a spate of for a while.
  • Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking of scams, has anyone had the one from Dave, who is stranded in Kiev after having his wallet, phone and passport stolen. He wants £1850 to get home. He will check his emails every 30 mins to see if I have replied.
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a real shame because I actually do have five million American dollars which I need someone to keep in their bank account for me but nobody ever trusts me enough to share their account details.
    I suppose I'll just have to let the Nigerian government have it after all.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hasn't this one (or at least a variant) been doing the rounds for years?