Options

Simon Hirst on Gold

Comments

• Options
    jamie smith909jamie smith909 Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    I thought it was fantastic, it worked really well for loads of reasons

He got a bit of publicity.
    He didn't alienate anyone who just had the music on in the background.
    He transformed a standard 4 hours of music into an real event.
    Excellent USP running through show.

Added to that boundless enthusiasm and of course he was LIVE !

I don't know if anyone remembers when 6 music did a vinyl New Years Day a couple of years ago ? It was totally pre-recorded, but more annoying was that the presenters (most failed pop stars) just didn't get the connection between vinyl and the public. Hirsty did, it was a great show well done !
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was fantastic, it worked really well for loads of reasons

He got a bit of publicity.
    He didn't alienate anyone who just had the music on in the background.
    He transformed a standard 4 hours of music into an real event.
    Excellent USP running through show.

Added to that boundless enthusiasm and of course he was LIVE !

I don't know if anyone remembers when 6 music did a vinyl New Years Day a couple of years ago ? It was totally pre-recorded, but more annoying was that the presenters (most failed pop stars) just didn't get the connection between vinyl and the public. Hirsty did, it was a great show well done !

Certainly a big improvement over what Neil Francis did in that slot. Deserves a bigger gig if he wants it of course.
  • Options
    jolly turnipjolly turnip Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Certainly a big improvement over what Neil Francis did in that slot. Deserves a bigger gig if he wants it of course.

Argument might be that he has one of the biggest gigs in commercial radio with breakfast on Capital Yorkshire (most listened to station outside London still?). That said I can see him going to Smooth or Heart in the future.
  • Options
    MusicmasterproxMusicmasterprox Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Argument might be that he has one of the biggest gigs in commercial radio with breakfast on Capital Yorkshire (most listened to station outside London still?). That said I can see him going to Smooth or Heart in the future.

Can see him doing Absolute Radio, if he decided to leave Global Radio completely.
  • Options
    COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

you can tell he loves doing both his Gold Show & the Dose which is coming up to its 11th Birthday next Month & still going strong
  • Options
    paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he's just signed a two year contract at Capital, so he's going nowhere soon.
  • Options
    COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hirsty is on Corrie Spin off
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sND8EWU6Cdo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It slipped through with everything going on at Gold, but Vinyl Heaven is back Hirsty on his EMT decks 12-4 VINYL ONLY, the only vinyl only radio show probably in the world
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it too, its a shimmer of light on what is now a pretty dull jukebox of a station. Lets hope it continues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He said he's going to be playing B sides too, a real Oxymoron !!
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    It slipped through with everything going on at Gold, but Vinyl Heaven is back Hirsty on his EMT decks 12-4 VINYL ONLY, the only vinyl only radio show probably in the world

Those EMT's are awesome!

Opps - sorry here's one...
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member

He would be wasted on Smooth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Right then vinyl lovers done some digging (if you excuse the pun) and aswell as Hirstys excellent show I've found some other vinyl shows

Tuesday

Dj Harv Jazz N Soul seems to be mainly vinyl, real groovy

Point Blank FM
    http://www.pointblank.fm/schedule_tuesday.html

Vision radio it's Technics Tuesday

http://www.visionradiouk.com/ def after 8 Matty G

Garage,Hard Core RNB, a real mixed bag some really good stuff, dance music only.

Sunday

Vinyl Selection 7-9 pure pop 80/90s I heard Scorpions Wind of change & Ultravox Vienna in the ten mins I listened before I had to go out

http://horizon.fm/

Resonance FM London

http://resonancefm.com/schedule

Apparently there is a vinyl only show on here, from "The Vinyl Library" .

And of course Turntable Tuesdays at CBS FM. Watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fueeNAJ2Hs

No stream for us though .

Anyway sorry to hijack thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Hirsty records his show now. No harm in that. Its not like the computer can drop the links in between the music for once!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I see Hirsty records his show now. No harm in that. Its not like the computer can drop the links in between the music for once!

I'm positive he doesn't George, people were posting questions on Facebook during the show and he was answering them on-air.

His show is available to listen again to. Cheers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm positive he doesn't George, people were posting questions on Facebook during the show and he was answering them on-air.

Ok thanks. It's says in the Gold public file that it is regularly recorded. I suppose it will be occasionally when he is on holiday and live when not?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok thanks. It's says in the Gold public file that it is regularly recorded. I suppose it will be occasionally when he is on holiday and live when not?

I haven't seen that mate, but listening to the show sounds like Hirsty would commandeer the decks at a local Hospital radio station if he was in having both his legs amputated, he loves doing it that much.
    LOL
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member

Indeed and he responds on air to "live" requests (assuming that they're not "made up").

But certainly all of the Saturdays shows I've listened to have been live.

Essential listening for me now. Screws my Saturday up though 12-4!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    CRTHD wrote: »
    Indeed and he responds on air to "live" requests (assuming that they're not "made up").

But certainly all of the Saturdays shows I've listened to have been live.

Essential listening for me now. Screws my Saturday up though 12-4!

My friend Mark just sent me the link to this thread...

Thank you for all the kind words regarding the show.

Show is live most weekends, only on tape when I'm manic busy or on holiday and if recorded, I do it all in real time, as I'm not a massive fan of VT'ing - You don't get the same energy if you do VT.

I do the show from home using my EMT's, all the songs are from my personal vinyl record collection, which I've been collecting since I was 5 years old.

It really is a dream come true to do this kind of show, as I love radio and vinyl; so I can't thank Global enough for allowing me to do it.

Here's a link to last weeks show if you missed it.

http://app.musicradio.com/gold/on-air/aod/?episodeId=257518

Thank you again!
  • Options
    bringbackGalaxybringbackGalaxy Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hirsty, as a fan of your breakfast show in the days when Galaxy was on DAB down hear in Kent all i can say is long may you continue on Gold.

Had you on in the garden Saturday (lucky enough to get Gold on DAB still) and was asked by a neighbour what i was listening to. Low and behold he was tuning in within minutes, so your following is increasing! Shame you cant transfer over to Gold at 10am and do a couple of hours live, have a work will you Hirsty, you know you want to!
  • Options
    sweaty71sweaty71 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    My friend Mark just sent me the link to this thread...

Thank you for all the kind words regarding the show.

Show is live most weekends, only on tape when I'm manic busy or on holiday and if recorded, I do it all in real time, as I'm not a massive fan of VT'ing - You don't get the same energy if you do VT.

I do the show from home using my EMT's, all the songs are from my personal vinyl record collection, which I've been collecting since I was 5 years old.

It really is a dream come true to do this kind of show, as I love radio and vinyl; so I can't thank Global enough for allowing me to do it.

Here's a link to last weeks show if you missed it.

http://app.musicradio.com/gold/on-air/aod/?episodeId=257518

Thank you again!

Best thing on Gold. Schools out on Saturday morning BBC 3CR and then Hirsty's show in the afternoon. Heaven!!
  • Options
    bringbackGalaxybringbackGalaxy Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think maybe Gold should look at some more of their presenters with 'passion' and give them a time slot. Im sure there are a few who would love the chance to 'work from home'!
  • Options
    FM_BanditFM_Bandit Posts: 2,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Career disc jockey with passion makes good radio - what an archaic concept! :p
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has now left Gold.
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    He has now left Gold.

That's a big shame vinyl heaven was the best show on Gold.