Options

The CNBC Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Towards the end of NBC Superchannel, Today started airing on the same day at 2pm but they only showed the non newsy stuff and was only on for an hour.

I remember when the week of when Diana died and the Today team came to London and was interviewing the crowds in the street.

I was in America a couple of months ago and its so commericalised now that it felt like every 5 minutes, they went to an advert break.

With good reason, I guess... NBC basically only make money from their cable/satellite channels (USA Network, Syfy, The Weather Channel, CNBC, etc.), the Today Show, and their late-night lineup.

EDIT: and of course, it should be noted that the Today Show largely set the template for breakfast shows throughout the world (having debuted in 1952).

The 11 September, 2001 edition of Today
  • Options
    d2macrejectd2macreject Posts: 724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'NBC Nightly News,' 'Countdown with Keith Oberman'and other MSNBC stuff are available to download for free (not long after broadcast) on the American iTunes store under the Video Podcast area.

Quite often a West Coast edition of 'Nightly News' updated for late stories (though not every night.)
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    'NBC Nightly News,' 'Countdown with Keith Oberman'and other MSNBC stuff are available to download for free (not long after broadcast) on the American iTunes store under the Video Podcast area.

Quite often a West Coast edition of 'Nightly News' updated for late stories (though not every night.)

I was thinking of checking out the podcasts sometime. I have some from CNBC's Mad Money with Jim Cramer and also Fast Money. In fact there's several CNBC ones available on iTunes.
  • Options
    Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did any of you see this item on DS?
    CNBC to air opera and ballet on Sunday afternoons starting September 19:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/news/a275736/cnbc-to-air-opera-and-ballet.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^ I saw that, not sure what to make of that programming change. It seems like a strange thing for CNBC to show. IMO they'd be better off showing stuff from MSNBC.
  • Options
    Martin KongMartin Kong Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epsom wrote: »

For Sky viewers try using your TV remote and hit the text button and type page 340 and bingo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For Sky viewers try using your TV remote and hit the text button and type page 340 and bingo.

That for the CNBC schedules?
  • Options
    epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^ I'll check it out later :cool:
  • Options
    mr williamsmr williams Posts: 1,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never forgiven them for dropping "The McLaughlin Group" without notice or explanation. As somebody who's travelled extensively in America it was one of my favourite programmes but one Saturday morning I tuned in to find myself watching "Managing Asia" despite TMG being in the EPG.

The same happened the following week and the week after that TMG disappeared from the listings, never to be seen again.

I e-mailed both CNBC and the programme to ask if it was being dropped or rescheduled but never had a reply.

(They also dropped the 16.00 showing of "Meet The Press" but since the sudden and tragic death of Tim Russert it hasn't been the same anyway).

"If it's Sunday......it's Meet the Press"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've never forgiven them for dropping "The McLaughlin Group" without notice or explanation. As somebody who's travelled extensively in America it was one of my favourite programmes but one Saturday morning I tuned in to find myself watching "Managing Asia" despite TMG being in the EPG.

The same happened the following week and the week after that TMG disappeared from the listings, never to be seen again.

I e-mailed both CNBC and the programme to ask if it was being dropped or rescheduled but never had a reply.

(They also dropped the 16.00 showing of "Meet The Press" but since the sudden and tragic death of Tim Russert it hasn't been the same anyway).

"If it's Sunday......it's Meet the Press"

Who in CNBC did you email? I remember Russert's death, it was pretty awful. I remember being shocked by it for ages. I have a section of my bedroom wall with CNBC pics on I printed out (they're on a wooden noticeboard thingy hanging on the wall) and I have a pic of him and several other CNBC people on it. It's quite nice. Is The McLaughlin Group still showing in the US?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly The Mclaughlin Group transferd from NBC to CBS in the States and that was the reason why it left CNBC Europe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    epsom wrote: »
    If I remember correctly The Mclaughlin Group transferd from NBC to CBS in the States and that was the reason why it left CNBC Europe.

I never knew that :o I haven't watched CNBC as much as normal this week. That's what happens to me when I get home too late in the evenings. Stupid late evening lectures :( Once we get Sky installed tomorrow I can record US Street Signs and maybe US Closing Bell on it before leaving the house and then I won't have to worry about missing anything.
  • Options
    mr williamsmr williams Posts: 1,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, that's fair enough, that can't be helped but would it really have been so terrible to let regular viewers overseas know? They didn't have to mention CBS by name.

I didn't e-mail anyone specific, just the "contact us" link on the websites.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can often see whole shows on the programs website.

http://www.mclaughlin.com/

Or the YouTube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mclaughlingroup?blend=2&ob=1
  • Options
    klytamnestraklytamnestra Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im so happy i found their new Sunday afternoon opera and ballet season beginning today!! A real treat for the Autumn!:D
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a section of my bedroom wall with CNBC pics on I printed out (they're on a wooden noticeboard thingy hanging on the wall) and I have a pic of him and several other CNBC people on it.
    we have got to get you a real boy friend, it sounds like you see CNBC in the same way young girls see acts like TakeThat and Justin Beiber.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    we have got to get you a real boy friend, it sounds like you see CNBC in the same way young girls see acts like TakeThat and Justin Beiber.

I probably do :o
    Im so happy i found their new Sunday afternoon opera and ballet season beginning today!! A real treat for the Autumn!:D

Was it good?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I probably do :o
    tell me if you were to see one of CNBC anchors, would you scream, and then faint?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tell me if you were to see one of CNBC anchors, would you scream, and then faint?

I met one once in London and I was giggling for ages and found it hard to say anything to him! I was walking around in a dream world for the rest of the day afterwards. :D:D I have a photo of me with him as well, I'm just looking at it in my room as I type this. :) Didn't faint though. Last time I fainted was in really hot weather in 2001.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I met one once in London and I was giggling for ages and found it hard to say anything to him! I was walking around in a dream world for the rest of the day afterwards. :D:D I have a photo of me with him as well, I'm just looking at it in my room as I type this. :) Didn't faint though. Last time I fainted was in really hot weather in 2001.
    I dont know if this is something I should encourage or not.

On the one hand, you cleary need to take a step back, its only a news channel, and it sounds ilke you are bordering on an unhealthy obession.

however its not like CNBC is a shopping or Babestation channel, there are far worse TV channels to be obsessed with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I dont know if this is something I should encourage or not.

On the one hand, you cleary need to take a step back, its only a news channel, and it sounds ilke you are bordering on an unhealthy obession.

however its not like CNBC is a shopping or Babestation channel, there are far worse TV channels to be obsessed with.

Well I used to really love it but I don't watch as much any more. I still watch though, just not as often as I used to as I'm not in the house as much. Nobody in my family minds, in fact my mum is a fan herself. My dad doesn't really like it though as he's not interested in business stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I used to really love it but I don't watch as much any more. I still watch though, just not as often as I used to as I'm not in the house as much. Nobody in my family minds, in fact my mum is a fan herself. My dad doesn't really like it though as he's not interested in business stuff.
    I guess in alot of ways its no differnt than my behaviour towards some TV shows I hav e watched in the past, im sure my Doctor Who merchandise collection would be frown on by some.

Just never heard of someone displaying that behaviour towards a news channel, still as long as you dont start thinking CNBC is talking directly to you, you should probaly be ok.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I guess in alot of ways its no differnt than my behaviour towards some TV shows I hav e watched in the past, im sure my Doctor Who merchandise collection would be frown on by some.

Just never heard of someone displaying that behaviour towards a news channel, still as long as you dont start thinking CNBC is talking directly to you, you should probaly be ok.

I never think that and I never have done, I'm quite able to note the difference between TV and reality :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never think that and I never have done, I'm quite able to note the difference between TV and reality :)
    I figuresd that was the case.
This discussion has been closed.