Options

Is this actually a computer simulation?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is everything real, or a computer simulation?

I'm sure this subject has been done to death already (most have, eh?), but I came across this article on Twitter and decided to share it with other DSers.

I'm sure most people have, at some point, pondered whether life is real. While I feel that this is probably merely because we're always looking for answers, struggling to accept that this life is all there is (it's often so dull and painful), I still get excited by the idea that perhaps it's not just wishful thinking.

Here's the article (it's not that long):

http://www.gafnews.com/content/are-we-living-super-computer-simulation-aliens-beings

Comments

• Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've read some tripe on here but that link blew my mind

and not in a good way
  • Options
    danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either way you'll still end up dying so who cares?
  • Options
    TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone can present a view and then say "prove it's not".
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See also solipsism: the idea that everything exists only in your own mind (or should I say only in my mind).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    See also solipsism: the idea that everything exists only in your own mind (or should I say only in my mind).

Does that mean that I only exist in your mind then?

And I didn't really post this. You just imagined I did?

I'm glad you imagined beer. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Does that mean that I only exist in your mind then?

And I didn't really post this. You just imagined I did?

I'm glad you imagined beer. :D

Yes, I kind of invented you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hey, you invented beer. You are my god.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I wish you'd invented more veggie choices on restaurant menus. I'm getting a bit bored of risotto now :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Hey, you invented beer. You are my god.

I don't even remember doing it, that's the weird thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm. All interesting replies!

No, I suppose the fact that we all die anyway means that it doesn't really matter. True and good point! But I'm still fascinated by such theories.
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're buggered if they don't pay the leccy bill.:eek::D
  • Options
    Stever7Stever7 Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long ago did you watch the Matrix? 10 mins? -.-
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stever7 wrote: »
    How long ago did you watch the Matrix? 10 mins? -.-

Haha! Years ago. This thread was prompted by a tweet.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody useless simulation IMO.

I still haven't won the lottery and it's really cold outside tonight and I haven't even started my christmas shopping.:mad:
  • Options
    Mad Man MoonMad Man Moon Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like all theories, it's a possibilty. It's what philosophy is all about, debating the reasons for and behind our existence.

But I wouldn't put any money on it...
  • Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like any simulation, there would be glitches and bugs in the established physical laws find examples of these and you have evidence for it being a simulation
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Occam says "no".
  • Options
    MenoetiusMenoetius Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10 PRINT "I think therefore I am";
    20 GOTO 10
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mad_dude wrote: »
    Like any simulation, there would be glitches and bugs in the established physical laws find examples of these and you have evidence for it being a simulation

The 'faster than light' bug has been found, so it's only a matter of time before we find more.:p
  • Options
    Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    If it was all in our minds then everything would be perfect... Some great, funny posts here btw :D
  • Options
    pastanuttypastanutty Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    If its all a computer simulation/experiment, where are the talking mice...?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pastanutty wrote: »
    If its all a computer simulation/experiment, where are the talking mice...?

If I type 42 will we all disappear?:D
  • Options
    The PuzzlerThe Puzzler Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately a lot of people are closed minded when it comes to things like this - they don't want to question in any way the reality that's spoonfed to us throughout our lives.
    Now to the article, this line in particular was very thought provoking -
    Now think ahead 50 years: Where will computers be then, if our human race still survives?

How about 500 years? How about 2 million years? What will super-computers be doing by then? Yet, 2 million years is a drop in the cosmic bucket.
  • Options
    BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think theories like these, often from from misconceptions of theories from modern physics.

One of the current ones, is what is called the "holographic principal" which isn't really as groovy as it sounds. But what it does say is very interesting; that the universe doesn't really work the way that we think....it's "encoded" as a series of "bits" representing all the properties a particle can have, which string theory sort of take a step further and tries to discretely define the information that every type of phenomena can have.

(or atleast, that's my rough understanding of it. I could be hugely mistaken)

There's also what Einstein called "spooky action at a distance" where particle pairs assume the opposite charge of one another, instantaneously when observed. How can this happen, when there's no way that "information" can travel between these two particles faster than the speed of light?

Do I think we're living in a simulation? Probably. But I doubt it's a simulation run by a higher intelligence...I think that the universe works a lot like the way we store information in a computer simulation (something I have a lot of experience in) and also has a distinct time step (something like the length of quantum fluctuations in an absolute vacuum).
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometime in the 1950's or 1960's science fiction writer Frederick Pohl wrote a story called "The Tunnel Under The World" in which the citizens of a town discover that they are living in a model designed to test advertising and marketing. There's a brief mention in the author's Wikipedia artice, and in the Amazon details for the book. It was one of the stories dramatised in the BBC2 series Out Of The Unknown.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Pohl
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tunnel-Under-World-Frederik-Pohl/dp/146380136X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323515382&sr=8-1
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tunnel-Under-Galaxy-Project-ebook/dp/B005QQOA2M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323515382&sr=8-2
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_the_Unknown