F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2012 Season (Part 5)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,496
Administrator
R410 wrote: »
Hardly surprising the figures were down, India was a pretty boring race.

I can tell the difference, even on my 3 year old 19" TV.
This was using the HD channels on satellite though, not the pathetic excuse you get via Freeview.
    Admin Notice: This thread is a continuation of: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1673172

Comments

• D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      @BenFranklin - yeah, BBC had an afternoon re-run last year
    • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
      Forum Member
      In that case I'm not surprised India got such good figures last year, it basically got two goes at the BBC daytime schedule.
    • farfar Posts: 3,697
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      In terms of the BBC HD channels, some have argued that the HD channels on satellite are poorer compared to the Freeview ones - no 1080p for a start. I have access to both and can't tell the difference though...
    • LesterForbesLesterForbes Posts: 1,244
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      yay! i'm on the 1st page!
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      on another note..... that RedBull 360 degree camera http://www.redbull.no/cs/Satellite/no_NO/360-F1/001243262600173 is amazing!

I would love that on all F1 cars! You know, there's another way Sky or FOM can make more money from me for this, have every available camera viewable after the race and you get to choose how you watch the race.... either from a 360 degree cam on massa's car or from a mirror cam looking into Vettel's face for a few laps! would be quite brilliant I'd say!
    • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      far wrote: »
      In terms of the BBC HD channels, some have argued that the HD channels on satellite are poorer compared to the Freeview ones - no 1080p for a start. I have access to both and can't tell the difference though...

That because of the BBC's stupid policy of making their HD channels only as good as the weakest system can handle.
      The HD channels on better systems such as satellite and cable can provide better quality HD, so it should be higher.
      I still don't see Freeview as a HD TV provider, it is just too bandwidth restricted.
    • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Edwards and Wattie in the 5 Live box for FP1 tomorrow
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      what :p
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      and F1 on TV goes full circle as the BBC team from last year end up on sky and the F1 Digital + commentary team end up on the BBC! how times have changed
    • F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,835
      Forum Member
      lol what a crazy situation
    • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,563
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Now we on Part 5 when the F1 is live on the BBC this weekend;)
    • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,721
      Forum Member
      Viewing figures very poor for India. I guess overall comparisons compared to last year may come in lower now.
    • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Do the forum team realise that the link at the end of Part 4 goes straight to the start of Part 4, and not to Part 5.

I know Part 4 was good, but not that good, :cool:
    • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,018
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Now we on Part 5 when the F1 is live on the BBC this weekend;)

and? :confused:
    • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
      Forum Member
      Viewing figures very poor for India. I guess overall comparisons compared to last year may come in lower now.

Or that last year the race was new and held some curiosity to casual fans but ended up being a complete turd, so that knowledge combined with the fact that Vettel was on pole and looked likely to dominate the race didn't exactly ensure people were rushing to their TVs when the race was shown...
      Jules 1 wrote: »
      Do the forum team realise that the link at the end of Part 4 goes straight to the start of Part 4, and not to Part 5.

I know Part 4 was good, but not that good, :cool:

Yes I hope the Moderators fix it, otherwise our entire continuity will be broken and future generations reading through this groundbreaking and epoch making thread will be very confused. :D
    • Guv'norGuv'nor Posts: 1,656
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      D.M.N. wrote: »

Woof Woof Mr Watson !!
    • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I do hope FOM are paying strict attention to this.

"You can press red to view our on-board feed or log on to it on it on your Tablet/Phone/laptop and direct it yourself!"

Willing to bet this appears in NASCAR before it gets anywhere near F1 though.

It's a nice feature, but we're a long way off seeing anything like this in a real race I'd expect. Before it goes anywhere, they'd have to figure a way to deal with the amount of data it'll be producing out both in terms of getting from the car to the TV truck and then processing it all in real-time. Oh and they'd need to make it a lot smaller.
    • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,563
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Or that last year the race was new and held some curiosity to casual fans but ended up being a complete turd, so that knowledge combined with the fact that Vettel was on pole and looked likely to dominate the race didn't exactly ensure people were rushing to their TVs when the race was shown...

Yes I hope the Moderators fix it, otherwise our entire continuity will be broken and future generations reading through this groundbreaking and epoch making thread will be very confused. :D

We should contact them to tell them of there mistake, F1 history could be of risk here;)
    • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
      Forum Member

AND I hope a link to Eddie Jordan in pit lane, for old times sake.

"So, Eddie, what engines will you be running next year?"

Oh this is gonna be sweeeeet.

Is John doing all the weekend then? He'll be alongside James for the rest of it?
    • dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭

Could be a warm up for next year.
    • F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,835
      Forum Member
      Ben & Wattie full time for BBC 2013?
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
      Forum Member
      R410 wrote: »
      That because of the BBC's stupid policy of making their HD channels only as good as the weakest system can handle.
      The HD channels on better systems such as satellite and cable can provide better quality HD, so it should be higher.
      I still don't see Freeview as a HD TV provider, it is just too bandwidth restricted.

To be fair to the BBC, some of their HD content has improved recently, but the F1 is still lower quality than that of sky on satellite.
      Downloaded quite a bit of content last few days from the BBC iplayer catchup on sky and that is very good quality HD. Hope they put up some hd content on catchup from this weekend.
      I agree Ive not been really amazed when I watch others freeview hd content, the pq always looks poor.
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
      Forum Member
      Just had a survey re a SKY and BBC content comparison, quite detailed.
      Has anyone else had this? It drilled down to individual ratings of the broadcasters.
      This was from one of the major uk survey companies that I do a number of surveys for each week.
      It seemed to be issued from one or other of these broadcasters.
      I have participated in a few f1 surveys this year, but not ever seen a survey that drilled down to individuals before, was very interesting.
    • Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
      Forum Member
      I read that It was done by putting 5 GoPro cameras in a housing & then using software to stitch all the videos together to create the 360 shot.

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4...sredb20123.jpg

Oh wow, interesting way of doing it. Long way to go then before they can live stream five cameras.. They'd be better going down the 360 degrees lens with 1 camera option if they want it live. But then, the quality will be rubbish.
    • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      lettice wrote: »
      To be fair to the BBC, some of their HD content has improved recently, but the F1 is still lower quality than that of sky on satellite.
      Downloaded quite a bit of content last few days from the BBC iplayer catchup on sky and that is very good quality HD. Hope they put up some hd content on catchup from this weekend.
      I agree Ive not been really amazed when I watch others freeview hd content, the pq always looks poor.
      We already know that Sky Sports F1 has a higher bit rate than the BBC HD channels so there is a difference in the picture quality. Not a massive difference but it is noticeable when you compare the two.
      lettice wrote: »
      Just had a survey re a SKY and BBC content comparison, quite detailed.
      Has anyone else had this? It drilled down to individual ratings of the broadcasters.
      This was from one of the major uk survey companies that I do a number of surveys for each week.
      It seemed to be issued from one or other of these broadcasters.
      I have participated in a few f1 surveys this year, but not ever seen a survey that drilled down to individuals before, was very interesting.
      Someone mentioned that they took part in a survey like this, could have been redsnapper not sure though.
    This discussion has been closed.