Options

Paying to return someone else's phone

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 714
Forum Member
✭✭
A boy on my Facebook last night asked if anyone wanted to buy a Blackberry he'd found on a bus for £10. As he's always posting things about anarchy and communism and how we should all live together and help each other, I said the right thing to do would be to ring 'home' on the phone and offer to return it. He agreed with me, but then said "what if the owner is a racist EDL supporter?" and that he was too poor to care and needed the money. All he's going to do is spend it on cigarettes.

I told him I'd meet him today and buy it off him, but is it worth it? I fully intend to return the phone to the rightful owner once I have it. It just seems unfair that someone could be panicking about losing such an expensive phone, and I keep imagining it's a kid that's lost it and how much trouble they'd get in :( I don't have any income other than my student loan and money my relatives gave me for Christmas, and I probably won't get the tenner back but I think it's a small price to pay for returning such an expensive phone.

I'm a bit worried that, if the police find out, that I could get in trouble for paying money for it, even though I intend to return it. Could the boy selling it also get in trouble, or would it not matter as he found it rather than stole it? Is it worth paying £10 for it?

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    what a lovely thought.
  • Options
    Colin HuntColin Hunt Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    Technically your boy is guilty of theft, as he's dishonestly appropriated property belonging to another - despite it obviously having been lost by it's original owner.
    Your boy knows it's lost, yet intents to trouser it, for his own gain.

Your offer to pay him £10 and then return it is admirable though :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Colin Hunt wrote: »
    Technically your boy is guilty of theft, as he's dishonestly appropriated property belonging to another - despite it obviously having been lost by it's original owner.
    Your boy knows it's lost, yet intents to trouser it, for his own gain.

Your offer to pay him £10 and then return it is admirable though :)

So what should I do? I don't really want to reward a criminal with money, but if I don't it'll get bought off him by someone else. Could I get in trouble if it's found out that I payed for it?
  • Options
    lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but would be in reciept of stolen goods surely? The guy would be guilty of theft by finding so anyone buying must be guilty of buying stolen goods.
  • Options
    NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he has wiped the contacts from the phone, there will be no way to return it then & in that case my advice would be to take it to the police station & tell them where it was found but just don't mention the rest of the situation. The person who lost it may well report it missing. If not then the police may return the phone to you in 6 months anyway as the 'finder' and you may well be able to recoup your £10 outlay

I really hope you get some great karma in return for your incredibly kind gesture. It's lovely to see :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm, I'm also worried that when I return the phone I'll be accused of stealing it or something. Should I phone the police and let them know what I'm doing, then hand the phone in to them? Would they deal with this? I don't want to treat them like a big Lost and Found department :/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he has wiped the contacts from the phone, there will be no way to return it then & in that case my advice would be to take it to the police station & tell them where it was found but just don't mention the rest of the situation. The person who lost it may well report it missing. If not then the police may return the phone to you in 6 months anyway as the 'finder' and you may well be able to recoup your £10 outlay

I really hope you get some great karma in return for your incredibly kind gesture. It's lovely to see :)

I don't think he's wiped it, as he mentioned yesterday he was going to look through it.

• Options
    Forum Member
    Hmm, I'm also worried that when I return the phone I'll be accused of stealing it or something. Should I phone the police and let them know what I'm doing, then hand the phone in to them? Would they deal with this? I don't want to treat them like a big Lost and Found department :/

The Police won't accuse you of nicking the phone if you hand it in, but they will want to know details of where it was found, so you'd need to know the rough area that was.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Agreed :):)
  • Options
    WizsisterWizsister Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    Its a lovely gesture and i wish there were more people like you in the world.
    However, i wouldnt get involved at all because in a real worst case scenario he could exploit you and make a habit out of this knowing it will play on your conscience, and where do you stop? I know its drastic but you cant go around returning everybodys stolen items.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't get involved, you can't right all the wrongs in the world and there's plenty worse than this.

I suggest you tell your FB friend that what he's done is theft and he should hand it in to the appropriate Lost & Found office for the bus company. Give the £10 to a worthwhile charity instead.
  • Options
    iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be very careful or you could potentially end up as an accessory to theft :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    That's such a lovely gesture, OP and I think it's a great idea. Maybe if you do return it, tell them your neighbour found it and asked if you could return it.
  • Options
    morganb1611morganb1611 Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    Don't networks block phones once they are reported missing so they become essentially worthless? Assuming the owner reports it missing of course.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iCandy77 wrote: »
    I'd be very careful or you could potentially end up as an accessory to theft :o

From what the OP is saying, there is no accessory to a crime at all. If the owner appropriates the property with the intention of returning it to its owner it simply isn't theft. Although if caught with the phone before its returned it could be difficult to prove.

HOWEVER, with the millions upon milliions of phones that there are and the millions that go missing, lost, stolen or whatever, I don't think the police are going to be pulling out the stops to find a stolen or missing blackberry even if it is reported. I also doubt if anyone is going to report a missing phone, they are so cheap and available these days (particularly second hand) and the expectation is probably more that it has been found by a dishonest person and sim changed or phone unlocked.

OP, just tell the guy to hand it in to lost property or to the police, where is will no doubt go unclaimed and eventually auctioned off.

Admirable attitude though OP! :)
  • Options
    boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    From what the OP is saying, there is no accessory to a crime at all. If the owner appropriates the property with the intention of returning it to its owner it simply isn't theft. Although if caught with the phone before its returned it could be difficult to prove.

HOWEVER, with the millions upon milliions of phones that there are and the millions that go missing, lost, stolen or whatever, I don't think the police are going to be pulling out the stops to find a stolen or missing blackberry even if it is reported. I also doubt if anyone is going to report a missing phone, they are so cheap and available these days (particularly second hand) and the expectation is probably more that it has been found by a dishonest person and sim changed or phone unlocked.

OP, just tell the guy to hand it in to lost property or to the police, where is will no doubt go unclaimed and eventually auctioned off.

Admirable attitude though OP! :)

i think if it's unclaimed from the police, it goes to the finder who handed it in.
    I once found a phone on the road and just dialled the "home" number on it, spoke to the owner's husband and left it for them to collect at the customer service desk of a nearby supermarket.
  • Options
    Hildas HairnetHildas Hairnet Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice to hear that there are some good people around. Well done OP

Perhaps print off this thread and have it with you, if I had lost my phone and somebody had gone to that much effort to return it to me, I would (at the very least) compensate them for what they have paid out.

:D:D
  • Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,447
    Forum Member
    Tell your mate to call the home number or hand it into the police as found or you'll tell the police. Yeah, you'll be a grass but I'd rather do that than be mates with a thief
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    el_bardos wrote: »
    You’ve got that back to front – you don't need to prove innocence, they need to prove guilt.

Ok, should have used the word 'explain' rather than 'prove'!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boab34 wrote: »
    i think if it's unclaimed from the police, it goes to the finder who handed it in.

Yes you're right, things are clearly different these days! The police will actually hand the item back to the finder, after a record is made, who will be notified, generally, within 4 weeks if someone has claimed it unless the item is restricted. If the police take it, it would appear that it is disposed of after 14 days!

May as well just keep the thing!!
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call the police and report him. Its theft by finding and theres evidence on facebook.

They'll take it off him and find the rightful owner
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a scummy friend you have!

I admire you big time though! Not worth getting involved as your friend seems the kind to happily drop you in the shit if given the chance to squeal his way out of a situation
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not in North Wales are you? I lost my blackberry on a bus, although this was early December!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Tell the Police unless he returns it
  • Options
    GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the person reports the phone stolen then the Blackberry will be blocked, he will not this as it will display "Phone not allowed MM6"

Then its just a case of him one day getting arrested for something trivia, going to the station to be processed and having the stolen phone checked on the database....