Options

Goodbye espn hello sky atlantic

Asian ChannelAsian Channel Posts: 884
Forum Member
✭✭
So it looks like the money virgin will save when espn closes well that money will pay for sky atlantic I for one am not happy

I have watched sky Atlantic for 25 minutes and honestly it was boring

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    Really? When are we getting Atlantic?

Do you think 25 minutes is long enough to judge a tv station? I believe they have more than one programme on.
  • Options
    Asian ChannelAsian Channel Posts: 884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Virgin back in Sky Atlantic talks

27 June, 2013 | By Peter White

The prospect of Sky Atlantic becoming available to Virgin Media’s 3.8 million TV subscribers has moved closer after it emerged that talks between the two companies have reopened.

***** from broadcastnow*****
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really glad if it does happen, Virgin customers deserve to see it. So many shows which IMHO are top notch. Game of Thrones, In Treatment, The Borgias, Mad Men, Nurse Jackie, Veep, The Following, Blue Bloods, Stephen Merchant's new show, just off the top off my head. Don't even like all of those myself but I can see they are premium quality shows.

PJ
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sky will probably just set up another sky exclusive channel to put their premium shows on...........

Isn't that how Sky Atlantic started...........when Sky One came back to Virgin they just stuck all their new shows on sky atlantic
  • Options
    jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Sky will probably just set up another sky exclusive channel to put their premium shows on...........

They'll have to close a channel first or they would be spreading the content too thinly across the suite of channels. It's not a good idea to take on the cost of operating too many channels in the current economic climate.
  • Options
    Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,323
    Forum Member
    I posted more of the broadcastnow on another thread.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=66676444&postcount=71

I think Sky Sports News HD and Sky News HD will launch on Virgin Media aswell.
    DarthFader wrote: »
    Really glad if it does happen, Virgin customers deserve to see it. So many shows which IMHO are top notch. Game of Thrones, In Treatment, The Borgias, Mad Men, Nurse Jackie, Veep, The Following, Blue Bloods, Stephen Merchant's new show, just off the top off my head. Don't even like all of those myself but I can see they are premium quality shows.
    In my opinion Blue Bloods and The Following are awful , Game Of Thrones is overrated, the other shows you mention don't appeal to me. The only show i like which is shown on Sky Atlantic is Banshee.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sky Atlantic drop Nurse Jackie.
    Unfortunately, we can't reveal to you just yet when season five of Nurse Jackie, which begun in the US last month, will air over here, but having spoken to Sky Atlantic we will say this... don't hold your breath. Much like an NHS waiting room, it looks like you'll be hanging around for a while. We'll bring you more deets as we get 'em!
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/tubetalk/a479719/fresh-meat-dynamo-hannibal-tube-talk-qa.html
  • Options
    womblerwombler Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally could not give a toss if Atlantic comes, but more choice is good for everyone
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certainly keeping my fingers crossed for Atlantic. I used to watch quite a few shows on the channel when I was with Sky so it'll be good to have it if it does come.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    It would save me money and a wait just to have it for the excellent Game of Thrones. Anything else I might end up watching would be just a bonus. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    withnailukwithnailuk Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see what all the fuss is about with sky Atlantic. I do not think virgin getting this, will make up for the loss of espn.

Excluding Boardwalk empire, i don't see what else is on there.And you could see most show's with a vpn and a sub to hbo could you not?
  • Options
    Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Atlantic would really only be a big deal for me if they ran certain shows (such as Boardwalk Empire) from episode 1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    withnailuk wrote: »
    I don't see what all the fuss is about with sky Atlantic

Different strokes for different folks. I watch many shows on the channel and would be very happy to get it. if it's not your bag then it's not your bag.
  • Options
    withnailukwithnailuk Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Different strokes for different folks. I watch many shows on the channel and would be very happy to get it. if it's not your bag then it's not your bag.

Agreed Jason, Every one like's different channels. I just would like a few more channels added for the the loss of espn. Not just Sky Atlantic which seems to be the holy grail for some posters;)
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    withnailuk wrote: »
    I don't see what all the fuss is about with sky Atlantic. I do not think virgin getting this, will make up for the loss of espn.

Excluding Boardwalk empire, i don't see what else is on there.And you could see most show's with a vpn and a sub to hbo could you not?

Firstly, just because you think there's only 1 show on there, doesn't mean others think the same.

Also, you really think the average VM customer has a clue about setting up a VPN? Anyone who does would probably know how to watch the program's they want to without a sub to any provider.
  • Options
    OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    As Sky Atlantic has been around for a while now I wonder how many people who wanted to watch shows like Game of Throne have now just got used to illegally downloading it instead so adding it now wouldn't make much of a difference?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    I have no interest in this channel, but it would be good for VM to get it as it would stop all the will they won't they various discussions!!
  • Options
    jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch a lot of American shows, but not one that Sky Atlantic are currently showing, so doesn't bother me one bit if Virgin get this channel
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have no interest in this channel, but it would be good for VM to get it as it would stop all the will they won't they various discussions!!

Ah but there's plenty of other will they won't they ones to take over, BT Sports is already there, bound to be other channels people are waiting for as well!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Opaque wrote: »
    As Sky Atlantic has been around for a while now I wonder how many people who wanted to watch shows like Game of Throne have now just got used to illegally downloading it instead so adding it now wouldn't make much of a difference?

I have the complete season 3 of Game of Thrones that I haven't watched yet at "US Pace", but if Virgin did get Sky Atlantic then I'd gladly go back to watching/recording it when it's shown. I have no real qualms about watching things at "US Pace" but I actually do prefer watching them when they're properly screened in the UK
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A lot of people do that. I often watch things on tv even when I have the blu-ray right behind me on a shelf!

I just think that really that although there is a demand for Sky Atlantic it's gone past the time where it's as important as it used to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Opaque wrote: »
    A lot of people do that. I often watch things on tv even when I have the blu-ray right behind me on a shelf!

I just think that really that although there is a demand for Sky Atlantic it's gone past the time where it's as important as it used to be.

I get that, but then I think the fact that it's essentially "HBO Lite" will mean you'll always get quality programs on it so I think there'll always be a reason to have it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Certainly will. HBO anything is worth having.

Always a reason but now there is the BT Sports channel issues Sky Atlantic isn't as exciting as it used to be.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they get sky Atlantic it could go some way to please me. Im still swithering ditching the system with losing espn. This would help ease the pain a little
  • Options
    weetomuncherweetomuncher Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    Sky Atlantic is the only 'killer app' channel we're missing now apart from the BT Sport channels and I still think we'll get the chance to see them as BT probably can't afford to miss out on so many viewers.

Plus, the advertisers and sports leagues probably want their products to be showcased across all pay tv platforms.
  • Options
    jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Atlantic is the only 'killer app' channel we're missing now apart from the BT Sport channels and I still think we'll get the chance to see them as BT probably can't afford to miss out on so many viewers.

Don't be so sure of that, for BT it is a long term strategy... and apparently, they have deep pockets and aren't dependent on achieving a certain number of subscribers to stay in business.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-06-28/bt-sport-to-be-more-relaxed-than-sky