#2 Avril Lavigne vs Kelly Clarkson

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    So 3008 wrote: »
    Now that is just not true. Avril's albums have sold 17m, 10m, 6m and 1.3m WW respectively. Outside of Breakaway, Kelly hasn't had a single album sell anything close to those first three figures. In fact her last three albums will have all been lucky to have sold 2m or more each WW. Even Stronger didn't sell much more than Avril's flop album!
    Kelly is not really popular internationally except for the odd smash hit single like 'Stronger' and her sound gets more and more country as the years go by, so obviously her sales outside of the US will be lower than Avril's. I think Avril's overall record sales are still a bit higher than Kelly's, but if she keeps underperforming like that, Kelly will catch up soon, especially considering how stable and consistent her sales are.

EDIT : Just checked my facts. Avril's album sales are way higher than Kelly's, but Kelly has sold slightly more singles than Avril has.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think too much emphasis is put on sales fior some singers. There are some who rely on that, but others don't. Kelly is someone who whilst aside, from Breakaway, her sales figures aren't exceptional, she has a huge fan base, is well respected amongst her peers and can tour world wide.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kelly Clarkson is absolutely horrible to listen too, every single song follows the same formula...

Plaintive verses.
    Overwrought choruses.
    Annoying breathless tic singing.

Ugh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kelly, by miles
  • ChateauMarmontChateauMarmont Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breakaway by Kelly Clarkson was the best album ever in 2005 or whenever it was it was out. Nothing even now beats Addicted. Her later albums have got a bit samey...all about power to the people and standing up for yourself. Stronger has some great tracks on still, Let Me Down, War Is Over and Honestly.

Avril was good on that one album that had Skater Boy on...I haven't really liked her since.
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kelly can sing Avril cannot, it really is that simple.

And Kelly has a great personality, and Avril..well nothing at all.