The first 68 episodes of Eastenders from 1985 now on Youtube

2»

Comments

• Options
    dale0693dale0693 Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    June Brown was 58 when she first appeared in episode 40. The lady really is an EE legend!

She is a legend

The queen vic looked a lot more realistic back in 1985 it looked really dark inside the vic now it looks a lot brighter

And the BBC Should upload more than the first 68 episodes
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dale0693 wrote: »
    She is a legend

The queen vic looked a lot more realistic back in 1985 it looked really dark inside the vic now it looks a lot brighter

And the BBC Should upload more than the first 68 episodes

Watching through the videos Albert Square looked a lot grimmer and rougher than it does nowadays.

Also you will not see the side of Albert Square where the B&B is, that part of the Square was not built originally and followed a couple of years later.

You can see why EE was on top form back then, characters that really stand out include Den and Angie, Lou Beale, Sue Osman and dear old Ethel.
  • Options
    NickJordanNickJordan Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Ethel
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there any way to download these?

Yes. Just goto http://www.kibase.com/YoutubeDownloaderAdv.html then enter the video URL in the box then press submit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member
    NickJordan wrote: »
    I love Ethel

I love willy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first handful of episodes were actually filmed in late 1984.

A few pictures of the early days:

EE's ladies dancing in the square

Set under construction in 1984

1985 filiming

Original cast with where are they now captions

EE in happier times

Cast doing the hokey cokey

Montage (can be enlarged by clicking on image)
  • Options
    dale0693dale0693 Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would they have started filming in December 1984? They usually film Two months in advance or was it different back then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dale0693 wrote: »
    Would they have started filming in December 1984? They usually film Two months in advance or was it different back then?

Possibly, the very early episodes had snow on outdoor location shots.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    Yes. Just goto http://www.kibase.com/YoutubeDownloaderAdv.html then enter the video URL in the box then press submit.

Have you tried it that way?

I think they have it some way protected to stop downloads.
  • Options
    hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    I can't see it. The video won't start :( So disappointed. Any advice?
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you tried it that way?

I think they have it some way protected to stop downloads.

I haven't tried it for EE.

Have you got Real player installed? It has a one click download option. Maybe try that.

http://www.real.com/resources/download-video/
    I can't see it. The video won't start :( So disappointed. Any advice?

What browser are you using? Any error message appearing?
  • Options
    hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    cooler wrote: »
    I haven't tried it for EE.

Have you got Real player installed? It has a one click download option. Maybe try that.

http://www.real.com/resources/download-video/

What browser are you using? Any error message appearing?

I am using chrome - the screen just stays black and the video doesn't start..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    I've watched them all, finished about a month ago. I hope they upload another batch of episodes soon but I doubt they will until at least January, still they're much more entertaining then today.
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    I will watch the 80s ones when I get time. I hope they put up 90s Eastenders episodes at some time too- 95 til the Millenium was my fave, but I could even handle watching Sharon again (never my favourite) for the earlier years.

I haven't watched Eastenders for years now but I loved it back then.
  • Options
    The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the show started recording in early autumn 84 as it was due - I believe - to go out at Christmas that year, but was shelved into February as the show just wasn't ready to go out and needed more time, not least with the replacement of the original actress cast as Angie, which prompted a host of re-shoots...don't quote me on that, just what I think I recollect from a book I read.

It's important NOT to judge the halcyon days of 80's EE on 1985, I've said this before, that while 1985 is a healthy start to the show, many elements that would take EE to the top of the pile did not come into place until 1986 when the show knew its strengths and parted company with its weakeness. There's a lot of wooden acting in 1985 (Tony, Ali, Sue, Naima, Saeed, Debbie, Andy, Mary, original Mark (I'm going to hell for that but its true)) some overacting (Lou, Nick...and gasp even Den and Angie) and some bland storylines ('the golden circle', Mary as a stripper)..but there were high points, don't get me wrong (Hassan's death, Dot's arrival, Nick terrorising Kathy)

1986-88 (technically Feb 89) is the true golden era for EE, 85 was just a practice run.
  • Options
    dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    edited 05/10/17 - 18:54 #42
    Annoyed that they took these off! :( Did anyone manage to download them? They were better than VHS ripped versions that I've seen elsewhere.
  • Options
    HomefieldsHomefields Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    I don't understand the motivation for removing them. I was well peeved when they went I can tell you! I'd just got past the cot death episode when they were taken down. With the help of some dailymotion uploads I managed to limp on to Dot's debut, and then I had to stop :( Appropriately though, as I recall the day I watched Dot's debut was the same day she said farewell to the launderette. Sad times for her, even sadder for me lol!
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in the process of uploading 1985 to my group, only on April though as its hard finding places that won't block or delete them and DM only allows 5 video uploads a day before they suspend your privileges, but if you can get a invite to one of the private sites you can download whole years.
  • Options
    BcphBcph Posts: 4,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    omg - something for the long, cold and dark Danish winter
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC Youtube page now has the first 68 episodes of EE. hopefully they will add more in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/user/EastEnders/videos

excuse me - just used link - and all I could find was small excerpts, one minute here and two there ... no full lengths and NO dates
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bcph wrote: »
    The BBC Youtube page now has the first 68 episodes of EE. hopefully they will add more in the future.

excuse me - just used link - and all I could find was small excerpts, one minute here and two there ... no full lengths and NO dates

They use to be on there this is a old thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 05/10/17 - 20:10 #48
    Harlowe wrote: »
    Bcph wrote: »

They use to be on there this is a old thread.

sorry too quick - didn't notice date or nothing ... there goes the winter entertainment

BBC probably had a clear out - happened once to me while I have used it for EE - can't remember when, but one night, all EE gone, and I mean ALL. Then just a couple of days later, they started appearing again, and thank god - haven't disappeared again, unless over a weekend and start week where I did not watch Monday/Tuesday till Wednesday, so did not notice/knew they had been deleted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 05/10/17 - 20:24 #49
    would it be possible for us to recreate a list (in special thread) with links from 85 to ? e.g. starting February - was it around 15th Feb 85 - ok, starting Feb 15, 2018 to find the same date but in 1985, next day, the one from the 16th etc. - and post links every day - forgot, how often was it shown to start with ? twice a week, half hour? - well, someone will know, and we can find a calendar online and write down dates each month and we take turns in finding links. Just like some of the people who write about the evening's episode sometimes add "on this day .. year ....."
    '