Options

The eviction production is excellent compared to CBB8

Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
Forum Member
✭✭
I just re-watched clips of the first CBB8 eviction. Holy cow, how cheesy, embarrassing and awful! It is so weird how much it has changed for the better ever since Emma has taken over. Brian D was awful at presenting (sorry) and the evictions were horribly produced in my opinion. Compare that to last night, it felt like a classic Ch4 era BB eviction.

Comments

• Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It felt better, but they still need to go back to having Big Brother do the "Please leave the BB House" thing. I don't like Marcus doing it, never will.

1. It sounds silly, he booms over the tannoy, it used to be said in an emotionless, restrained voice.

2. It makes no sense for the narrator of the show to be doing it.

Frankly, they overuse him imo, what with him introducing the host and saying the little housemate tidbits as they climb the stairs in the launch shows (which Davina used to do).

So, yes, while it's getting better, overusing Marcus in the live shows is still a big thing for me. I'm not saying get rid of him, but just have him do what he always did instead of trying to have him to so much more.

I don't love how the live shows are now heavily focused on the whole production aspect too, with random explosion noises, sirens as the evictee leaves, eviction music, etc.

By adding more to the live shows, they've ironically lost a lot of tension and atmosphere imo. It's very generic now, but my main thing is Marcus being overused and I'd be very happy if they went back to how it once was in just this one aspect.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I agree that it's improving (and if Emma throws the towel in, I hope they don't even consider bringing Brian back) but I'd like them to make the actual moment of eviction more dramatic.

I want tension music, the voice of Big Brother announcing every 10 seconds the amount of time left and a countdown. I'd also like to see a door separating the stairs from the house and no music upon eviction.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    i cant agree, whilst they have improved slightly, i find the eviction shows are still pretty horrific.

for starters the crowd is TOO BIG. they should have that size crowd for the finale only, nobody at home wants to hear or see these gutter rats (harsh, but lets face it, true) ;-)

the constant vote freezing is a pain in the arse, not only giving away basically everything about whos popular, crowd noise etc, but actually cutting into valuable highlights time!

and ofcourse we are bound to see some ''begging for votes'' set up at some point. christ thats truley cringeworthy. they even did it during the last civilian BB where it was vote to 'evict', so they were asking them to beg people NOT to vote for them :confused::confused: further proof that a trained chimp could run this show better.

i would say the only stand out improvements are Emma not encouraging that awful crowd like Brian used to.
    And the fact they close the ''eye door'' during interviews so we can actually HEAR them.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It felt better, but they still need to go back to having Big Brother do the "Please leave the BB House" thing. I don't like Marcus doing it, never will.

Perhaps he's being overused because Channel 5 couldn't get Davina to present, with her memorable "Big Brother house, this is Davina" line an' all that, so they're showing off that they've still got the show's other iconic voice on board. It really does add to the current cheap and tacky production of the show though!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    My complaints about the eviction shows:

The arena setting of the outdoor stage. I'm not a fan of the stands creating a closed setting. I loved the open setting of when it was back on Channel 4; wasn't overdone at all. Plus, I don't like the fact that they don't change the stage for finale night. It almost feels like the

Too much sound effects. Is it really necessary to make a silly siren noise when a housemate is evicted? It screams cheesy. Plus, do they have to play that silly sound effect when they segue to commercial?

Stop with the vote freezing! Actually, stop manipulating with the vote lines; just open the lines and close them for good during the eviction show. Also, PLEASE GIVE US THE DAMN EVICTION PERCENTAGES! There's not a single valid excuse I can think of that wouldn't warrant the results being revealed.

Marcus Bentley is way too involved with the eviction show. I'd rather the voice of Big Brother do the countdown in a neutral voice, and that the countdown not be like NYE in NYC. I hate that about the eviction shows. Open the doors, and let the crowd rip at the housemate. No horrid EDM music and no silly sound effects. Oh, and bring back the door that separates the stairs from the main house. Considering the producers are in love with the secret room twist, such a house design is a necessity. They are breaking the fundamental rule of "no contact with the outside world" by physically putting the housemates out of the house and then putting them back in. Then again, it's not like Channel 4 didn't do it before (i.e. Fake Eviction of Charley).

As for launch shows, I'd rather Emma was situated somewhere isolated from the cat walk and stairs when revealing the housemates. I'd rather the housemates come out of the eye to no music, walk down the catwalk, take a few photos for the press, and make their way into the house. All the while Emma is commentating on the housemates for us the viewers.
  • Options
    lynwood3lynwood3 Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1. It sounds silly, he booms over the tannoy, it used to be said in an emotionless, restrained voice.

Frankly, they overuse him imo, what with him introducing the host and saying the little housemate tidbits as they climb the stairs in the launch shows (which Davina used to do).

So, yes, while it's getting better, overusing Marcus in the live shows is still a big thing for me. I'm not saying get rid of him, but just have him do what he always did instead of trying to have him to so much more.

I don't love how the live shows are now heavily focused on the whole production aspect too, with random explosion noises, sirens as the evictee leaves, eviction music, etc.

By adding more to the live shows, they've ironically lost a lot of tension and atmosphere imo. It's very generic now, but my main thing is Marcus being overused and I'd be very happy if they went back to how it once was in just this one aspect.

I agree.
  • Options
    humpty dumptyhumpty dumpty Posts: 4,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Emma does a great job.

My one wish is that the housemates don't get to hear the boos/chants at the time the names are being announced. Half the time its not even reflective of the public vote, and it does change things in the house. I'd much rather the dynamics of the house take their own natural path, rather than being effected by a group chavs chanting and booing.
  • Options
    lynwood3lynwood3 Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope the vote begging has gone for good.......It was cringeworthy, and the bit where Emma talks to individual members of the audience and asks who they want to save should go too. Utter waste of time and simply padding.
    We all know that there will be a spokesperson for each potential evictee and that those interviewed are simply desperate to get their faces on TV and will say anything to do so.
  • Options
    JVSJVS Posts: 12,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree, the anonymous BB voice is so much better.

Plus, Marcus Bentley says 'avicted', which gets on my nerves.
  • Options
    icefallicefall Posts: 7,709
    Forum Member

I agree with this, I think Marcus is starting to sound a bit like the devil of vengence telling them to go to hell, it should be more understated when they leave the house.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Ideally, I'd like any talking to the house to be BB10 style when there was no crowd noise whatsoever.

Keeping the housemates isolated from public opinion might make them less guarded.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    You know what I was thinking? Considering Channel 5 promised when it launched that we'd have films, football, and fornication, and as a slight jab to Davina's famous catchphrase, why not change Emma's spiel to "Big Brother House, this is Emma. You are live on Channel 5, please don't effin' swear." Brilliant! :D
  • Options
    sominsomin Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    josha19 wrote: »
    My complaints about the eviction shows:

The arena setting of the outdoor stage. I'm not a fan of the stands creating a closed setting. I loved the open setting of when it was back on Channel 4; wasn't overdone at all. Plus, I don't like the fact that they don't change the stage for finale night. It almost feels like the

Too much sound effects. Is it really necessary to make a silly siren noise when a housemate is evicted? It screams cheesy. Plus, do they have to play that silly sound effect when they segue to commercial?

Stop with the vote freezing! Actually, stop manipulating with the vote lines; just open the lines and close them for good during the eviction show. Also, PLEASE GIVE US THE DAMN EVICTION PERCENTAGES! There's not a single valid excuse I can think of that wouldn't warrant the results being revealed.

Marcus Bentley is way too involved with the eviction show. I'd rather the voice of Big Brother do the countdown in a neutral voice, and that the countdown not be like NYE in NYC. I hate that about the eviction shows. Open the doors, and let the crowd rip at the housemate. No horrid EDM music and no silly sound effects. Oh, and bring back the door that separates the stairs from the main house. Considering the producers are in love with the secret room twist, such a house design is a necessity. They are breaking the fundamental rule of "no contact with the outside world" by physically putting the housemates out of the house and then putting them back in. Then again, it's not like Channel 4 didn't do it before (i.e. Fake Eviction of Charley).

As for launch shows, I'd rather Emma was situated somewhere isolated from the cat walk and stairs when revealing the housemates. I'd rather the housemates come out of the eye to no music, walk down the catwalk, take a few photos for the press, and make their way into the house. All the while Emma is commentating on the housemates for us the viewers.

I agree with all the above.
  • Options
    Radical JoeRadical Joe Posts: 15,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The show's gotten more openly contrived, which I'm not a fan of in general, although I've always seen CBB slightly differently than normal BB.

And, perhaps I've managed to filter the awful soundtracks accompanying the tasks etc out of my mind, but I can't remember hearing any lately.