Options

Man dies after being forced to attend Atos/DWP assessment when he shouldnt of had to

Comments

• Options
    Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like he was on his death bed anyway, going a bit earlier saves a bit of money I suppose.

What a nasty, callous thing to say. But it does say a lot about you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    A sad case and no doubt there are issues with these assessments but no one is forced to attend them.
    tim59 wrote: »
    Yes you are attend or lose your benefits.

Is the wording
    It is important that you attend. If you fail to attend, your benefit may be affected. If you are unable to attend, or if you need any help whilst you are at the examination centre, please inform the appointments help desk on ...... as soon as possible.
    The wording could certainly be better, however the fear surrounding ATOS and ESA I think has mainly been spread by others not the DWP and ATOS.
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    Is the wording

The wording could certainly be better, however the fear surrounding ATOS and ESA I think has mainly been spread by others not the DWP and ATOS.

Due to tge actions of the DWP and ATOS
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Sounds like he was on his death bed anyway, going a bit earlier saves a bit of money I suppose.

And this is what is wrong with the policy, nothing about helping sick and disabled people. Just about saving money, if a person is going to cost the state money then lets make their life hell and hope the stress and strain makes their condition worse so they die sooner than later.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    And this is what is wrong with the policy, nothing about helping sick and disabled people. Just about saving money, if a person is going to cost the state money then lets make their life hell and hope the stress and strain makes their condition worse so they die sooner than later.

As paranoid delusions go, that's a belter.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not one for keeping people alive just for the sake of it, so yeah, sounds reasonable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not one for keeping people alive just for the sake of it, so yeah, sounds reasonable.
    What do mean for the sake of it., you are coming across as not a particularity nice person
  • Options
    Forum Member

That is not the same, as someone might not ever be fit again to work or because they are not ever going to be fit for work and so not productive they have no worth
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    The illnesses he was supposed to have died of, in hospital, were unconnected to his claim. Apparently with the medical condition he was claiming for, you can lead a normal life. If he was that ill, why didn't he go to his GP, the day before. If he wasn't ill then, why should ATOS get the blame?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What you are saying is repugnant because your passing judgement on someone else's right to life. If quality of life is to be the determining factor of who should live, surely the person whose life it is should get to make the decision on if their life is worth living, it should not be for other people like you to pass judgement on their life and say good they were put out of their misery as you think they should not be left to linger on. Not that everyone agrees quality of life should be the determining factor, many people hold all human life as sacred.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fear of losing his claim is probably why
    Valuing money more then life says a lot if terrible things about people who hold that view
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fear of losing his claim is probably why
    Valuing money more then life says a lot if terrible things about people who hold that view

Like Broken Arrow?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nomad2king wrote: »
    The illnesses he was supposed to have died of, in hospital, were unconnected to his claim. Apparently with the medical condition he was claiming for, you can lead a normal life. If he was that ill, why didn't he go to his GP, the day before. If he wasn't ill then, why should ATOS get the blame?

the whole process has been shown to be a mess and not fit for purpose, admitted by atos even lots of tory MPs have made complaints about the whole process, and has now turned into nothing more than all people involved with blaming each other, atos blaming the DWP the dwp blaming atos and the labour government. And atos saying we want out of this mess because the system no longer works for atos the dwp or the claimants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »
    He is said to have died of Pneumonia a lung infection (polycytheamia can be caused by lung problems and polycytheamia can cause lung problems including fatal lung problems) with liver (he had liver problems) also mentioned as contributory to death.

The medical condition polycytheamia too many red blood cells can be caused by bone marrow disorder or a disorder of the lungs or kidneys depending on severity and complications it can range from the person having a normal life expectancy to killing the person. The other medical condition mentioned was the liver, liver problems range from people having a normal life expectancy to people dying. Both conditions under the old DWP list would of resulted in a medical expert being consulted before deciding if calling for an assessment was appropriate or not. I would presume that safeguard existed for a reason.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member

i take it you would rather save money than save a human beings life, how cold, i really pity you :(
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect those suggesting it was a logical fallacy and/or a mere unfortunate conseqeuence would be beside themseves if it affected them or those they love.

"Honi soit qui mal y pense".
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    i take it you would rather save money than save a human beings life, how cold, i really pity you :(

it's a bit of an oversimplification don't you think? money is lives and quality of life.

every pound spent has to be best spent. a pound wasted here is a delayed hip operation there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    it's a bit of an oversimplification don't you think? money is lives and quality of life.

every pound spent has to be best spent. a pound wasted here is a delayed hip operation there.

a bit of avoiding the question works wonders
    he should have been able to see his doctor as opposed to being scared into attending
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have every sympathy for this man and his family.

But pointing the finger at ATOS is taking the focus away from the people who should be apologising for intimidating and bullying people into being so scared of losing their benefits that they put their health at risk, i.e. the DWP and the callous pieces of work at Westminster, in various Parties, that have bought this situation about.

Those hypocrites are now ducking and diving responsibility by scape-goating ATOS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Peter_CJ wrote: »

But pointing the finger at ATOS is taking the focus away from the people who should be apologising for intimidating and bullying people into being so scared of losing their benefits that they put their health at risk, i.e. the DWP and the callous pieces of work at Westminster, in various Parties, that have bought this situation about.

Those hypocrites are now ducking and diving responsibility by scape-goating ATOS.

Agree with this statement, and that is why this contract is so toxic for any company taking over the contract, the whole thing needs to be looked at, as the problem is more the WCA then the people doing the assessment
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    On Friday, victims of fit-to-work tests welcomed the news that Atos are ending their contract to carry out Work Capability Assesments for the Department for Work and Pensions.

Too little, too late in my opinion. The people at the very top should be held accountable for the deaths and suffering of all those who have suffered under this cruel and idiotic system.
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter_CJ wrote: »

I can see why you say that, though companies have and continue to grab health and welfare contracts when they are probably ill equipped to fulfil them. You could say they were set up to fail, but equally ask how complicit were they in this process.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    I can see why you say that, though companies have and continue to grab health and welfare contracts when they are probably ill equipped to fulfil them. You could say they were set up to fail, but equally ask how complicit were they in this process.

Atos themselves started to point the finger at the DWP last year, and point out we have been doing this work for 15 years without problems, and problems only started after 2010, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=440341672767048
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Within reason yes, if the cost of your treatment is a million pounds per annum to keep you alive to just sit at home watching television, then I would not provide the funds for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Within reason yes, if the cost of your treatment is a million pounds per annum to keep you alive to just sit at home watching television, then I would not provide the funds for that.

So what is a reasonable amount, for someone who will never work again, how do you define what a person is worth