Dog ate something inedible

Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
Forum Member
Can someone please let me know if im panicking for nothing.

I ordered something breakable online and it came in a bag full of polystyrene bits to keep it safe. They are blue coloured and about the same size and shape as wotsits crisps.

My dog managed to grab one that fell on the floor and before i could get it off him he had chewed it and swallowed it. It was only the one and hes a large dog so size wise it shouldnt affect him but im worried about it being in him whether it could cause problems or will it just pass out eventually?

Hes never (since weve had him anyway) eaten something that isnt food so im a bit panicked as to what will happen to him.

At the minute hes fine but it was only a few minutes ago he ate the blue thing. Is there anything i should look out for?

Comments

• TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    he should be fine it will break down in his system and pass.

Look out for any lethargy change in eating and drinking, toileting habits but I cant say I would be worried
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Thank you.

When we got him 2 years ago i obsessively removed anything he could eat in the house but hes never been interested. Even when he pulls stuffing out of his toys he spits it out.

For some reason once he had chewed this thing he swallowed it. Hes had a drink since then and seems fine but i just panic that it will stay in his intestines. I will keep a look out everytime he goes to the toilet so i can stop worrying!

I wasnt concerned about choking since hes a big dog and ive seen him swallow food bigger than that, i guess im just worried it wont break down in his stomache and it will cause a blockage.

I looked on google and the advice seems to be to make him sick by giving him hydrogen peroxide :o that sounds more dangerous than him swallowing the blue thing.
    Forum Member
    Update, i just squished one in my hand and ran it under the tap. When it got wet it shrank and with a bit more squeezing it disolved into nothing.

Presumably that means its ok then because the stomach acid and water will dissolve it? Am i right to think that means i wont see it come out whole?

I am relived if thats a good thing as i know i would panic forever if it hadnt dissolved!
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Update, i just squished one in my hand and ran it under the tap. When it got wet it shrank and with a bit more squeezing it disolved into nothing.

Presumably that means its ok then because the stomach acid and water will dissolve it? Am i right to think that means i wont see it come out whole?

I am relived if thats a good thing as i know i would panic forever if it hadnt dissolved!

That's useful to know thanks.

They do look like potato snacks though don't they?

Mind you, you'd think a dogs sense of smell would tell it, it's not food.

Anyway hopefully it turns out ok.
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a lot of the packaging 'peanut' stuff are made from corn starch now and are harmless...so i would try not to worry too much.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    mine ate a whole rubber glove when I was out gardening and took it off to answer the phone in his late puppy phase, put my arm right back his throat but it was too late and was gone, I took him to the vets to be made sick and he threw it up was a bit paler than when it went down :D

But like I said what your swallowed is nothing to worry about
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone please let me know if im panicking for nothing.

I ordered something breakable online and it came in a bag full of polystyrene bits to keep it safe. They are blue coloured and about the same size and shape as wotsits crisps.

My dog managed to grab one that fell on the floor and before i could get it off him he had chewed it and swallowed it. It was only the one and hes a large dog so size wise it shouldnt affect him but im worried about it being in him whether it could cause problems or will it just pass out eventually?

Hes never (since weve had him anyway) eaten something that isnt food so im a bit panicked as to what will happen to him.

At the minute hes fine but it was only a few minutes ago he ate the blue thing. Is there anything i should look out for?

My fattie eats cupcake wrappers (if he can) you have to be quick and put them in the bin. He has done it a couple of times now. Its never given him any problems.
  • CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That stuff will more than likely have to be safe for children, incase they accidentally eat it. So a general rule of thumb is, if its child friendly, its likely non-toxic, and won't cause harm. As your dog had already chewed it up, it's going to be in small pieces, so highly unlikely to block anywhere in his digestive tract. If you notice any problems, him being sick / off his food/ generally unwell, then see a vet, but I would just wait until nature passes its course. You should be able to see the bits, polystyrene isn't degradable:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    My old boy used to eat anything and everything (a terribly chewy puppy!) including lots of things that weren't exactly edible. He was always right as rain after so the odds are that yours will be perfectly fine. It's surprising what they can eat and be ok with! Although do keep an eye on him and watch for any changes in eating/ drinking/ toileting just to be on the safe side.
    Forum Member
    Update. He seems perfectly fine today! No change in appetite, behaviour or toilet habits.

When my oh got home and i told him what had happened he told be not to be so silly by worrying. He said they were safe and ate one to proove it!

So yeah so far they are both ok.
  • UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update. He seems perfectly fine today! No change in appetite, behaviour or toilet habits.

When my oh got home and i told him what had happened he told be not to be so silly by worrying. He said they were safe and ate one to proove it!

So yeah so far they are both ok.

Lol love your oh eating one too. :D:D