Options

£700 per month to rent flat, all bills included except electricity. Thoughts?

marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's a very nice one bedroom flat, near to the seafront, £700 a month, but the only problem is, there's no electricity. All the bloody flats I can just about afford, seem to have bills included, but no electricity. Is this the norm for flats with all bills included? How much would average cost of electricity be for a one bed flat? I know that's probably a difficult question to answer, but any rough ideas?

Anyway, thoughts on price of flat? I am earning just over £1000 per month. Yes, I know it's tight, but I really need to move out and get my own place, and I do not know anyone who I could share with to cut costs, and I don't really want to share a house with a buncb of strangers again, as it drove me just as insane as it is sometimes while living with my pops.

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    that would be quite cheap here, how does it compare with other rents locally?

edit: you might be eligible for housing benefit, that`s worth looking into.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    What do you mean all bills? Does it include council tax? Water rates? Is there gas central heating or electric heating? That'll make a difference. If £700 per month is ALL bills excluding electricity it isn't too bad. It'll leave you with over £300 cash each month based on your £1000 a month wage. Or £75 a week to cover electric and food and travel. I have a 2 bedroom house and use about £13 a week electric. Yours should be less than that, and if you can set up a DD, you should get a discount on the annual cost which will lower the DD.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    AlphaKAlphaK Posts: 3,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Price sounds ok to me . If everything is electric (no gas boiler/cooker) then the bill could be quite large. Any way of finding out from previous tenant or the current energy supplier what the annual usage is estimated to be ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that would be quite cheap here, how does it compare with other rents locally?

Quite cheap there? Wow! I still think it's quite expensive, but then I guess when you factor in all bills included (though, electric is a big deal) then it's not too bad.

Well, most flats around here are pretty grim and the upkeep is poor on the majority of them, but they still cost around £400-£500 per month, not including bills.

I kind of feel that this might be too good to be true, especially looking at how nice the interior of the flat is. I know electric costs will bump up the price, which is obviously a big issue.

Hmmm, I don't know. I would have around £400 of disposable income left after rent (that's guesstimating that electricity would cost a max of £100 a month).
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is it heated ? What does the cooker use ?

Are other bills such as council tax, water, etc included.

You REALLY need to write down a budget. Moneysavingexperts have an excellent template with over 100 categories that you need to think about.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/Budget-planning#bplanner
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean the council rates, water charge, gas are an all in price within the rent charge?
    I have never come across landlords who rent out apartments like that though before, but there is always a first time.

It does not leave you with much money left over for other things like TV licence, broadband, mobile phone charges, phone line, travel expenses, going out money, clothes and food.
  • Options
    steviexsteviex Posts: 132,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    AlphaK wrote: »
    Price sounds ok to me . If everything is electric (no gas boiler/cooker) then the bill could be quite large. Any way of finding out from previous tenant or the current energy supplier what the annual usage is estimated to be ?

Take the flat and then change your energy supplier to npower.

They are in such a mess with their billing system that they won't be able to send you a bill! :D
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Where is this flat?
    What's the service charge?
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    marc_p88 wrote: »
    Quite cheap there? Wow! I still think it's quite expensive, but then I guess when you factor in all bills included (though, electric is a big deal) then it's not too bad.

Well, most flats around here are pretty grim and the upkeep is poor on the majority of them, but they still cost around £400-£500 per month, not including bills.

I kind of feel that this might be too good to be true, especially looking at how nice the interior of the flat is. I know electric costs will bump up the price, which is obviously a big issue.

Hmmm, I don't know. I would have around £400 of disposable income left after rent (that's guesstimating that electricity would cost a max of £100 a month).

how did you come to that?
    1000 - 700 - 100 = 200 per month disposable income.

£200 per month on food, travel, etc is very tight
  • Options
    chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like a bad idea on your budget. £300 left a month for your electricity, food, clothes, mobile phone, travel, etc. I wouldn't do it.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My thoughts?

You can't afford it.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spending over 70% of your income on accommodation and household bills does seem to be a lot. I've seen plenty of articles on budgeting which say that you shouldn't be spending more than 30-40% on housing. If you rent though an agency then you may be asked for proof of earning and they could decide that you can't afford it. The agency I used to use required that your gross annual salary be 30x your monthly rent.

What part of the country is this in? £700 a month will get you a 3 or 4 bed house in some areas.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    It seems very tight. You would have hardly any money to save for an emergency. Like if you had to pay an unexpected fee, or had to replace something.

Would the flat be yours for as long as you like? You would barely be able to save for a deposit on another flat should the owner decide they no longer want to rent it out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wench wrote: »
    [/B]

how did you come to that?
    1000 - 700 - 100 = 200 per month disposable income.

£200 per month on food, travel, etc is very tight

No, I don't get exactly £1000 per month. I get a little over £1200. I added the £100 to that number as the maximum amount I would pay for electricity. Because electricity isn't included in the bills. I don't know what bills are included exactly as it doesn't state on the page. I would presume that the bills included the basic utilies.
  • Options
    chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, so you'd have £500 after your rent and bills, excluding food and electricity. That's more doable. Still tight, but doable. You wouldn't have much disposable income.

If I were in your position I'd suck it up and rent a room somewhere, and save for a deposit on a mortgage. You won't be saving jack shit out of your £500 a month.
  • Options
    MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suck it up and live at home while you can and save. You would barely have any money to spend on yourself. Andersonsonson would be horrified at that price. I'm surprised he hasn't been on here yet. Though he may have collapsed in shock. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Spending over 70% of your income on accommodation and household bills does seem to be a lot. I've seen plenty of articles on budgeting which say that you shouldn't be spending more than 30-40% on housing. If you rent though an agency then you may be asked for proof of earning and they could decide that you can't afford it. The agency I used to use required that your gross annual salary be 30x your monthly rent.

What part of the country is this in? £700 a month will get you a 3 or 4 bed house in some areas.

I live in Essex. I did rent a room for a short while, but the area was horrible and the people were unsavoury. There really aren't many good places around this area to rent, and the tenants are usually druggies or just not nice. It would help if I knew some people who wanted to move out and share, but I don't know anyone who wants to, or can afford to do that.
  • Options
    Max LoveMax Love Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    If you're paying that on your own it's a big drain with nothing to show for it at the end
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My OH and I pay £30-35/month for electricity - we live in a second floor flat with a generous neighbour dwnstairs who overheats his flat. My flat before - ground floor - cost me £30/month in electricity. It's a cliche, but buy a jumper and hotwater bottle, and anything is possible on a budget!

If the £700 includes water, council tax, tv licence, internet then go for it. If not, you may want to aim for somewhere a shade cheaper - plenty of time to live on the waterfront once you've saved up a bit.
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    No, I don't get exactly £1000 per month. I get a little over £1200. I added the £100 to that number as the maximum amount I would pay for electricity. Because electricity isn't included in the bills. I don't know what bills are included exactly as it doesn't state on the page. I would presume that the bills included the basic utilies.

Ok that is more doable but please remember that if you take this flat then any ideas of buying your own place or going to uni is NOT going to happen.

You will find that saving will be pretty much impossible.

As mentioned in your previous threads, you have a crappy job so if you rent this flat then be prepared to work that crappy job for many many years to come as you will find yourself in a stuck in a rut. Not having the skills to get a better job, but not having the money to improve your education or skills either.

We did advise before to improve your education and experience first before finding a better job and THEN move out. But if you move out first then it will be near impossible to better yourself. Your choice.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Essex. I did rent a room for a short while, but the area was horrible and the people were unsavoury. There really aren't many good places around this area to rent, and the tenants are usually druggies or just not nice. It would help if I knew some people who wanted to move out and share, but I don't know anyone who wants to, or can afford to do that.

Have a look at
    Www.spareroom.com
    UK.easyroommate.com
    Www.houseshare.com

If you don't have much money then its better to be sharing a nice big house with others than a tiny place on your own.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think you can afford this. Do you really not have a friend you could share a two bedroom flat with?
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its normal for landlords to show you the last few bills if you request them. You need to work out if you can afford the electricity bills on top
  • Options
    .Dozy Rosie.Dozy Rosie Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pay just over £500 a month for a bed sit...bills are included but we have no say in when heating is on and off!!! House is filthy...(we pay in our rent for all communal areas to be cleaned..) won't go into any more detail..but good luck!!!
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    We really need to know where the OPs lives - by the sea could be Northumberland or Brighton.

In most parts of the country £700 for a one bed flat would be excessive - in London it would be a bargain!