Options

UK election looking Tory/Unionist/Ukip Gov.

ZimmieZimmie Posts: 1,244
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Looking at everything i think Tories will scrape it in england after osbourne pension budget, backed by extreme ulster parties and a few ukip.

Comments

• Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Zimmie wrote: »
    Looking at everything i think Tories will scrape it in england after osbourne pension budget, backed by extreme ulster parties and a few ukip.
    Remind me how far the Tories are behind in the polls, then let me know how your blind optimism works.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if that happens UKIP voters will feel even more ripped off than LIBDEM voters.
    this latest stunt by the Tory supporting Times hasn't done relations between UKIP and the tories much good.

I think you raise a very good point the mere fact labour could be looking at a patchwork Centre Right Government should make them feel deeply ashamed of how these past 4 years have been handled. At this very moment even with the better news on the Economy as other posters have said there are massive flaws in the Raw Data.

Labour could steal a march on just about everyone by saying if they win in 2015 they will have an in out referendum on the EU by the autumn of 2015 stating they will be pushing for a yes vote (covering both bases) giving people a vote but also supporting the idea of the EU.

If this patchwork government did happen I could see another Gordon brown situation they would want a new leader and not Cameron. His remarks on UKIP would make it nearly impossible for a working relationship.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    UKIP will be lucky to get more than a small handful of seats at the general election because Tory voters that are currently disillusioned will no doubt return to voting Conservative come the election.

Even though UKIP are doing well in the polls at the moment for England as a whole, they need to be doing particularly well in localised areas in order to gain an MP.
  • Options
    WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKIP have to make a new voting system as a priority. If a political party gets 20% of the vote and no representation in a parliament, can it really be called democratic. If Russia had such a system and the opposition got no seats it would be called for it.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member

No UKIP wins, the Tories won't get a majority, the Lib Dems will lose seats, and there will be a Labour government with a small majority. That's my prediction.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    A Tory/Unionist/UKIP coalition will be hilarious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jjne wrote: »

Yep, toys thrown out of the playpen every couple of minutes.

Coalitions with liberals always work better as the ability to compromise is in their nature.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjne wrote: »

By hilarious do you mean "terrifying"? ;-) Of course, it might be worth it just to see the reaction of UKIPers to their anti-establishment 'party of the people' showing its true colours...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    By hilarious do you mean "terrifying"? ;-) Of course, it might be worth it just to see the reaction of UKIPers to their anti-establishment 'party of the people' showing its true colours...

You mean like the Taliban if it was run by the head of the local cricket club?
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    UKIP will get one or two MPs next time - not exactly kingmakers, then. And the Ulster Unionist Parties will back whoever gives them the most concessions, to be honest. It's not an ideological thing for them
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    riceuten wrote: »
    UKIP will get one or two MPs next time - not exactly kingmakers, then. And the Ulster Unionist Parties will back whoever gives them the most concessions, to be honest. It's not an ideological thing for them

I'm not so sure about that. Both DUP and UUP are incredibly far to the right. They would be more likely to side with the Tories than Labour, though neither of those parties exactly match the Christian fundamentalist brand of right wing nationalism the unionist crowd advocate.
  • Options
    AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about that. Both DUP and UUP are incredibly far to the right. They would be more likely to side with the Tories than Labour, though neither of those parties exactly match the Christian fundamentalist brand of right wing nationalism the unionist crowd advocate.

I don't think you know what you are talking about do you?
  • Options
    Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    No UKIP wins, the Tories won't get a majority, the Lib Dems will lose seats, and there will be a Labour government with a small majority. That's my prediction.

That's probably the most realistic outcome for now anyway, trouble is there is so much divide within the coalition, wheras labour seem more united. Labour seem more in touch with the people too and that ain't pie in the sky talk, its fact! :cool:
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This article in the Huffington Post sums it up nicely: Doomed: Nigel Farage, UKIP and the Battle for Brussels.

In many ways UKIP are like the 1970s left wing Union Leaders. They thrive on voter apathy and ensure their supporters will be out in droves to maximise their election prospects. The European Union elections next month is their chance to shine whilst the rest of us can't be bothered.

Sadly, though, that reality will be ignored by the like of Fararge moving on to next year's General Election.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, toys thrown out of the playpen every couple of minutes.

Coalitions with liberals always work better as the ability to compromise is in their nature.

They're certainly compromised at the moment.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

I seriously doubt UKIP will get even one seat - so really don't think Cameron will get an opportunity for a coalition of the right. The possibilities for the election are almost endless but this one I'd put on the highly unlikely.

We could have a minority Labour government, a Labour coalition with the Liberals or a Labour majority (none of which hold much joy and the last Lib/Lab Pact did not exactly fill one with confidence).

We could have a minority Conservative Government, A majority conservative government or a coalition with the Liberals - although for the latter case I'm not sure that the Liberals are exactly overjoyed at the prospect.

I doubt a Labour/Conservative coalition there are too many fundamental differences over economic policy.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    How much confidence would you have in a Conservative government with a small or no majority? Cameron is a worse leader than Major and there are more illdisciplined bastards around now than in the 1990s. A Labour government would not be good for the economy, but at least it would not fall apart into squabbling factions.
  • Options
    Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a possiblity that there could be a bit of a post referendum problem.

If the outcome of the referendum is close but the result is a no vote, there will be a lot of people in Scotland who although not normally inclined to vote SNP in Westminster elections might just vote SNP (to piss off the tories) resulting in more than the current 6 SNP MP's.

A minority conservative government negociating with the Lib/Dems, UKIP and the SNP - who would be gunning for Devo Max and/or a second refurendum - would be interesting to watch.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sid Law wrote: »
    If the outcome of the referendum is close but the result is a no vote, there will be a lot of people in Scotland who although not normally inclined to vote SNP in Westminster elections might just vote SNP (to piss off the tories) resulting in more than the current 6 SNP MP's.

Nah, I suspect the vast majority of Scots are secretly Tory at heart. They just treat Hollyrood as a county council. As often happens in local elections people vote for whoever is in opposition on the principle that they get the best of both worlds, rather than having the council toe the company line. This also has the added benefit of giving them someone to blame "In Westminster"

The referendum will give them enough of a scare and put the backs of the unionists up so much that I see a massive swing to the Tories up there.

:D
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    riceuten wrote: »

I'll predict right now that UKIP will get no MPs.

A UKIP vote will not achieve a UKIP MP, it will simply take votes away from the other parties, potentially allowing whoever would have been 2nd or 3rd, to steal the seat.
  • Options
    Ashford SteveAshford Steve Posts: 2,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remind me how far the Tories are behind in the polls, then let me know how your blind optimism works.

And multiply by the number of UK Parlaimentary Seats, Mayoralties, and Council majorities at County, City or Borough currently held by UKIP?

:D
  • Options
    SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    A UKIP vote will not achieve a UKIP MP, it will simply take votes away from the other parties, potentially allowing whoever would have been 2nd or 3rd, to steal the seat.

Which we will be seeing a lot in the Tory/Libdem Marginals, with the Tories taking them by the backdoor.
  • Options
    spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Mine too.
  • Options
    tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Godfrey Bloom maybe Foreign minister and Farage could take Mays job but after that I'm struggling to think what other MP's UKIP are going to get to make the coalition
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you know what you are talking about do you?

Care to substantiate that? I would love to hear your deep knowledge of the Northern Irish unionist parties. I might learn something. Or then again, maybe not.