Adults who have never learnt to drive

Comments

• nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    all very nice for the few people that want to hike miles and miles, but it doesnt represent most of the population.

its like saying human beings commit murder. no, a few do but most dont.

We are not talking about most of the population, the post was made in relation to the idea of a camping holiday and, I dare say, that wouldn't appeal to most of the population either.
    Thats true, hence why I would get the bus/train to somewhere like London. However if I fancied a camping trip in rural North Wales, getting a train there might be a lot harder! :)
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i manage to get everywhere i need or want to go without a driving licence, including camping holidays and festivals, if there isn`t public transport and it`s too far to walk i get a taxi for that leg of the journey, it isn`t difficult.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,007
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Only because somebody else does the driving.

This is the reason why I have never entertained the idea of a partner who just won't learn to drive. I drive, I have a car, I enjoy driving and the freedom it gives me but I'm not ferrying someone else around.
  • Colino GreenColino Green Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Failed three tests in the early nineties. Gave up trying till 2005 when, at 34, finally passed on my 2nd attempt I think (fifth in all) in December 2005.

Drove between 2006 and late 2009 when I gave up my deteriorating car. Haven't driven since. Have been looking for work now for the last couple of months and in my line of work (IT) it appears that I could walk into a job if I had a car anywhere in Greater Manchester/Cheshire so I may have to spend some of my savings on one... but I'd rather not as it all seems such a hassle, especially the insurance expense.

Was never a great fan of driving anyway, but I wouldn't mind some advanced refresher lessons before even trying to drive a car on my own again. Seems a long time since I did the 'Pass plus' certification. :o
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    This is the reason why I have never entertained the idea of a partner who just won't learn to drive. I drive, I have a car, I enjoy driving and the freedom it gives me but I'm not ferrying someone else around.

Why would you have to ferry a partner around? Its a bit narrow sighted not to have a partner who does not drive.

Still there we go, I would never expect anybody to "ferry" me around thanks.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not to mention air pollution as witnessed in London recently.
    Which was imported pollution. I remember days out in London in 60s and 70s when the pollution from vehicles was almost tangible. And I always returned home with a raging headache. Now that's largely gone.
    Not to mention all the idiots with licences and high parking charge costs,and if you go into a big city they prefer park and ride via a bus anyway.

I think i will stick to the bus/train.:D.
    I live 2.5 miles from my town centre. Going by bus involves hanging around at the bus stop (with all the other losers!), a slow meandering route all over town until it arrives at the town centre, and will cost £2-£3 one-way. If you want to go to the cinema, you need to set off at least an hour in advance!

By car it takes ten minutes and might cost 40p in fuel. I know where to park for free. And if two of us are going, it will cost exactly the same: 80p for the return trip, compared with £8-£12 by bus!

Actually you can add in all the fixed costs of the car, and even have fuel at £10/litre, and it would probably still be cheaper. And even if it cost a bit more, I would still use the car because it's more comfortable, more convenient and quicker than the bus.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which was imported pollution. I remember days out in London in 60s and 70s when the pollution from vehicles was almost tangible. And I always returned home with a raging headache. Now that's largely gone.
    I live 2.5 miles from my town centre. Going by bus involves hanging around at the bus stop (with all the other losers!), a slow meandering route all over town until it arrives at the town centre, and will cost £2-£3 one-way. If you want to go to the cinema, you need to set off at least an hour in advance!

By car it takes ten minutes and might cost 40p in fuel. I know where to park for free. And if two of us are going, it will cost exactly the same: 80p for the return trip, compared with £8-£12 by bus!

Actually you can add in all the fixed costs of the car, and even have fuel at £10/litre, and it would probably still be cheaper. And even if it cost a bit more, I would still use the car because it's more comfortable, more convenient and quicker than the bus.

The City of London has been found to be one of the most polluted places in Europe after monitoring equipment recorded dangerous levels of minute particles for the 36th time this year. Under EU rules, Britain is allowed no more than 35 "bad air" days in the whole year, and now faces court cases and unlimited fines by Europe.

Poor air quality is now considered one of the biggest public health issues now facing the UK. A recent report by the House of Commons environmental audit committee included evidence that air pollution could be contributing to 50,000 deaths in the UK a year. A study (pdf) commissioned by Boris Johnson, mayor of London, calculated that more than 4,300 deaths are caused by poor air quality in the city every year, costing around £2bn a year.

From the Guardian.

Where is our pollution coming from then in London if it is one of the most polluted in Europe.:confused:

Nothing like the self interest of me me me car drivers is there.;-)

Add in car depreciation,road rax,congestion charge in London,maintainance,Fuel ect ect it certainly is not cheaper.
    Forum Member
    Why would you have to ferry a partner around? Its a bit narrow sighted not to have a partner who does not drive.

Still there we go, I would never expect anybody to "ferry" me around thanks.

I don't think it's narrow sighted at all. No, I don't "have" to ferry anyone around, it's not the law, but if one person drives (and has a car) and the other doesn't, chances are that will be how things end up. I've seen it loads of times.
  • Evenstar120Evenstar120 Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    I was late in learning to drive, I passed last year aged 30. I had lessons in a manual car in my teens and absolutely hated every moment of it, I dreaded the lessons and never really clicked with either of my instructors. My confidence was shattered. In 2012 I decided to give it another go, in an automatic and had such a lovely instructor and I passed my test on 7th October last year. Now I love driving and love my car, I love the independence and the freedom and just to prove to myself that I could do it and I could be a safe confident driver, I took myself to Alton Towers alone, which is a 200 mile round trip and I loved every minute of the trip, I drove on the motorway for the first time and I found it so easy to deal with. For any of you who are really struggling with learning to drive or had bad experiences with learning in the past, I would recommend that you switch to automatics as it gave me so much freedom.
  • BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's narrow sighted at all. No, I don't "have" to ferry anyone around, it's not the law, but if one person drives (and has a car) and the other doesn't, chances are that will be how things end up. I've seen it loads of times.

I absolutely understand where you are coming from, my brother never learnt to drive and his wife is his chauffeur she has to drive him everywhere he just wouldn't contemplate the bus!! They are retired now but when they worked she had to drive him to work and home as well as her self to her place of work. Absolute rubbish imo as she hates driving.

I live right out in the sticks so have to drive, I wouldn't be able to live where I do if I didn't!
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

Before I moved I lived about 5 miles from the town centre I walked there and back almost everyday still no need for a car and it didn't cost me a penny.
    Forum Member
    I was late in learning to drive, I passed last year aged 30. I had lessons in a manual car in my teens and absolutely hated every moment of it, I dreaded the lessons and never really clicked with either of my instructors. My confidence was shattered. In 2012 I decided to give it another go, in an automatic and had such a lovely instructor and I passed my test on 7th October last year. Now I love driving and love my car, I love the independence and the freedom and just to prove to myself that I could do it and I could be a safe confident driver, I took myself to Alton Towers alone, which is a 200 mile round trip and I loved every minute of the trip, I drove on the motorway for the first time and I found it so easy to deal with. For any of you who are really struggling with learning to drive or had bad experiences with learning in the past, I would recommend that you switch to automatics as it gave me so much freedom.

Great advice. Glad you are enjoying it so much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the Guardian.

Where is our pollution coming from then in London if it is one of the most polluted in Europe.:confused:

Nothing like the self interest of me me me car drivers is there.;-)

Add in car depreciation,road rax,congestion charge in London,maintainance,Fuel ect ect it certainly is not cheaper.

A large part of local pollution will be from buses, taxis, vans and trucks. Much of it probably caused by stationary traffic waiting at unnecessary red lights.

But whatever the EU says, London air seems cleaner than I remember it from decades ago.

London is a special case anyway. Outside the capital, you often see a great, slow, lumbering bus with only two passengers, stopping every couple of hundred yards, while a queue of vehicles crawl along behind, being blamed for their extra emissions when in reality it's the fault of the bus!
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    22 and never so much as sat in the driver's seat. Doesn't really interest me. I know NOTHING ABOUT CARS. I have a sister who's 19 and she's been driving for about a year or more.

I'm happy walking everywhere or getting public transport
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before I moved I lived about 5 miles from the town centre I walked there and back almost everyday still no need for a car and it didn't cost me a penny.

Life is too short to waste three hours a day walking to town and back. Why didn't you just cycle it? That would have saved two hours.

And it's not true it wouldn't cost you a penny. Aside from the value of your time (which could have been spent earning money), your body will need extra energy for all that effort.

It's difficult to work out exactly how much, but at, say, 180 kcal/hour walking, and 100 kcal/hour at rest, that gives 30 kcal per mile. A 20p Fredo bar is 100 kcal, so we could be talking about 6p or 7p per mile! A car would be more economical if there were two people going.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    Er, you'll find that driving or being driven to A&E is perfectly normal.

Not everyone who needs to visit A&E is a life-threatening emergency.

http://www.hscic.gov.uk/catalogue/PUB13464

Just 24% of arrivals at A&E in 2012-13 were by ambulance or helicopter.

Blimey, imagine if the other 76% of arrivals had dialed 999 and waited for an ambulance.

But thanks for your concern.

Considering that a huge number of cars have been parked in our A&E bay preventing ambulances from entering I stand by my post, public transport is best for non life threatening injuries, 999 for everything else.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Life is too short to waste three hours a day walking to town and back. Why didn't you just cycle it? That would have saved two hours.

And it's not true it wouldn't cost you a penny. Aside from the value of your time (which could have been spent earning money), your body will need extra energy for all that effort.

It's difficult to work out exactly how much, but at, say, 180 kcal/hour walking, and 100 kcal/hour at rest, that gives 30 kcal per mile. A 20p Fredo bar is 100 kcal, so we could be talking about 6p or 7p per mile! A car would be more economical if there were two people going.

I did cycle on occasion but preferred walking it as I enjoyed the walk since I moved one of the things I miss the most is my walk I lived on the other side of the seafront so got to walk down the beach everyday.

Never needed extra energy I have never eaten much anyway I can now and did then go days without eating if I do eat it's just usually one small meal a day if I eat breakfast I don't eat again that day.

Today I'm going to the supermarket ans it's out of town about two and half maybe 3 miles walk I guess.
  • Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cringe when I see parents who can't drive

A because you're responsible for a small human being and you can't even drive

B what kind of life do kids have when their parents don't drive? Every little activity must be a whole day out if you're using public transport or everything you do with them is within 2 miles of your house. No surprise trips to the seaside or anywhere else

Anyone got kids and can't drive or grew up with parents that couldn't drive?

My mum passed her test when I was 12 but before that, we had to walk everywhere because our house was in a bleak village not on a bus route and with no shops or facilities, only a pub. 2 miles up and down hills to school with bags, folders, PE kids etc is not fun when you're at primary and I was often very cold and tired when I got home. It was no great hardship really - the only times it was dreadful was when I was ill and had to be marched to the doctors and back - a 4 miles round trip..which made me much more sick. It's ok if you're in a city with public transport a plenty or you are wealthy and can have an account with a taxi company - but if you live in a place without public transport, it's pretty selfish not to drive.

People say 'oh but kids in the olden days did ok' - but what they don't realise is that school is mentally and physically harder now with added pressures and absent days are closely monitored and children are sent to school out of fear of the action the school will take and not when a parent deems it ok. I was doing some research once on school absenteeism around 1880 and found that some kids had a terrible attendance records - the reasons given were 'missing shoe, can't walk to school' 'still tired after flu' 'too cold to walk to school' 'must help father work today' 'will attend next month perhaps when tears for deceased grandmother have stopped welling'. What I'm saying is - a tired or cold child who had to walk to school was often kept off if ill or tired where is in the modern world, they can't be. So if you have a kid - you need to drive, really. I missed out on so many after school things, going round friends houses etc because there was no-one to pick me up...and it also meant every Saturday morning was spend with my bad tempered mum and dad battling Sainsburys in the nearest town because we could only shop when my dad was available to take us shopping. My mum passed her test...and it was so momentous we had a party!
    Forum Member
    Considering that a huge number of cars have been parked in our A&E bay preventing ambulances from entering I stand by my post, public transport is best for non life threatening injuries, 999 for everything else.

A couple of years ago my brother developed cellulitis in his arm. Not only could he not move it, even the slightest "bump" was incredibly painful. He had recurring hospital appointments over several days. He could not drive himself, obviously.

It would have been 2 bus journeys from his home to A&E with a journey time of approximately one hour. I was able to collect him from home and drive him in 15 minutes via the city bypass.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum passed her test when I was 12 but before that, we had to walk everywhere because our house was in a bleak village not on a bus route and with no shops or facilities, only a pub. 2 miles up and down hills to school with bags, folders, PE kids etc is not fun when you're at primary and I was often very cold and tired when I got home. It was no great hardship really - the only times it was dreadful was when I was ill and had to be marched to the doctors and back - a 4 miles round trip..which made me much more sick. It's ok if you're in a city with public transport a plenty or you are wealthy and can have an account with a taxi company - but if you live in a place without public transport, it's pretty selfish not to drive.

People say 'oh but kids in the olden days did ok' - but what they don't realise is that school is mentally and physically harder now with added pressures and absent days are closely monitored and children are sent to school out of fear not when a parent deems it ok. I was doing some research once on school absenteeism around 1880 and found that some kids had a terrible attendance records - the reasons given were 'missing shoe, can't walk to school' 'still tired after flu' 'too cold to walk to school' 'must help father work today' 'will attend next month perhaps when tears for deceasted grandmother have stopped welling'. What I'm saying it - a tired or cold child who had to walk to school was often kept of where is in the modern world, they can't be.

But do you class people who can't drive and have no interest in doing so as freaks, I use the word because that's how some are in all but name calling non drivers. I don't hold a pilots license or even a gun license and I'm certain that those that do will not regard me as a lesser person.

The problem is clear some people need to label others unusual to justify their sad pathetic existence, would we be happy if they said it was unusual for a person to be gay, black or disabled then use it to mock, pretty certain it would be unacceptable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of years ago my brother developed cellulitis in his arm. Not only could he not move it, even the slightest "bump" was incredibly painful. He had recurring hospital appointments over several days. He could not drive himself, obviously.

It would have been 2 bus journeys from his home to A&E with a journey time of approximately one hour. I was able to collect him from home and drive him in 15 minutes via the city bypass.

You complain about ferrying people around but you did exactly that in this instance.
    Forum Member
    You complain about ferrying people around but you did exactly that in this instance.

Not really. I took someone to hospital who couldn't actually manage to drive themselves there and it would have been very uncomfortable for him to have travelled by bus. However, I think you do realise that what I am talking about in that instance is quite different to having a partner who just enjoys having a chauffeur on hand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really. I took someone to hospital who couldn't actually manage to drive themselves there and it would have been very uncomfortable for him to have travelled by bus. However, I think you do realise that what I am talking about in that instance is quite different to having a partner who just enjoys having a chauffeur on hand.

On that I do agree with you, I can drive but now choose not too because I was never really interested in it and the opportunity came along where I stopped completely, I live near to work and a large retail park and since my own health scare some years back I now walk where I can and public transport, sure if I go on holiday I'll hire a car to see the sights but I'm happy not driving here, saying that I don't ask or expect others to ferry me about, that is unfair.

If I'm being honest my only real beef is with anyone who believes not holding a qualification or skill makes the person inferior.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    On that I do agree with you, I can drive but now choose not too because I was never really interested in it and the opportunity came along where I stopped completely, I live near to work and a large retail park and since my own health scare some years back I now walk where I can and public transport, sure if I go on holiday I'll hire a car to see the sights but I'm happy not driving here, saying that I don't ask or expect others to ferry me about, that is unfair.

If I'm being honest my only real beef is with anyone who believes not holding a qualification or skill makes the person inferior.

Me too ............................I hold many qualifications and have many skills driving just doesn't happen to be one of them. I don't look down disdainfully on people who don't have the same skills/qualifications that I have.
  • yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good advice, I switch to automatic and past but according some people, driving automatic is not manly and I'm cheating.

Also most peoples views in this thread say you are happier if you hold a full driving license than people who don't.

Now that is sad.