Adults who have never learnt to drive

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    I'm 32 and have never learned to drive. Have always lived in central locations with no real need to drive. From where I live now, it's less than 10 minutes walk to work, Tesco, Asda, Lidl, train stn, bus stn and a host of town center shops. My town has great transport connections to anywhere i'd want or need to go.

Yes, I suppose a car would come in handy from time to time, but I don't NEED one, and i'm MUCH better off financially without one. Also, it keeps me fit and healthy walking everywhere. I'm sometimes amazed at the short distances people drive!!
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no need to drive just now so there's not much point in passing my test. I cycle if needed but I don't mind walking since this place is so small. I will need to pass it eventually when we move away but that could be many years from now.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Danny_Girl wrote: »
    My brother and sister aged 46 and 48 have never learnt to drive. It's not a financial thing. I've asked them both why and they both say they've just never got round to it. Love them both to bits but still can't fathom why they would not want the freedom of just being able to get into a car and drive where they want to go.

Is it just me or do you agree that in the 21st century being an adult and not driving is unusual? Anyone else out there who doesn't drive and if so why?

I don't need to drive. Buses and trains go everywhere.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have driven since 17. Although I live with good transport links I like travelling around England and go camping three or 4 times a year. I love driving. I take my car to work as I need it for my job. I use public transport when I have to. My OH on the other hand has a driving license but doesnt drive unless he has to.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I'm 57 and have never passed my test. I've had two tests - one when I was thirty and one when I was forty. I didn't make a total hash of the tests but obviously didn't instil confidence in the examiner.

TBH - I'm not that confident in my own abilities - my spatial awareness is a bit awry if I'm honest. Most people worry about their kids learning to drive (my three and my husband all passed on first attempt) - they all beg me never to take my test as they say they'd never stop worrying.

I live in a small village but we have an hourly bus service - I get by. Must confess it'd be nice to jump in a car and go visit my family down South at the drop of a hat but ...........I get by.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's plenty of adults who I wish didn't have a licence to drive.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't drive for which you should all be very grateful.

I can do it all, gears etc, except steering. I cannot steer properly which makes driving a bit dangerous. No parked car would be safe from me.
  • Tamryn29Tamryn29 Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 32 and having driving lessons at the moment. I'm not really enjoying them, I'm very nervous about them beforehand and during and don't know whether I'm going to keep it up tbh.
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    I don't drive for which you should all be very grateful.

I can do it all, gears etc, except steering. I cannot steer properly which makes driving a bit dangerous. No parked car would be safe from me.

I steer forwards quite well TBH - it's once you have to do it backwards my head just goes :o - the instructor says things like - see that little line in the back window, you just line up with that then turn hard etc. etc. I nod very enthusiastically but haven't a clue what he's talking about:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I steer forwards quite well TBH - it's once you have to do it backwards my head just goes :o - the instructor says things like - see that little line in the back window, you just line up with that then turn hard etc. etc. I nod very enthusiastically but haven't a clue what he's talking about:D

Oh I'm far worse than that. Told to pull over in a long wide road devoid of any cars I still managed to leave it face in to the pavement with one wheel on the kerb.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,244
    Forum Member
    My dad kindly paid for driving lessons when I was 19, however I really didn't like driving because the cars I tried felt so heavy and unsafe. Cars like Vauxhall Astra, Corsa, Ford Mondeo, Renault Megane...

Tried so many and all felt like navigating a oversized lump. However the gift of a Skoda Estelle changed my view on driving completely. No longer was parking or narrow roads a worry, no longer did driving feel like a chore. My mum had not driven for years because the cars available did not work for her. I got her a Skoda Estelle too and now she enjoys driving. But I hope that they last a long while as nothing as good is available these days (production stopped in 1989).
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't used public transport for many years. I am scared of getting raped or abused or sneezed on. In my car I am safest of all. :D
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny_Girl wrote: »
    Is it just me or do you agree that in the 21st century being an adult and not driving is unusual? Anyone else out there who doesn't drive and if so why?

My parents never learned to drive so we didn't have a car. But we lived near the centre of a small town where literally everything was within five minutes walk or less (main shopping street 5 mins, station 4 mins, cinema 2 mins, doctor 1 min, etc). Even my primary school was ten minutes walk. (Secondary school was two miles, so had to take the bus, but a car wouldn't have helped as I was too young to drive! Bus stop was 1 min away though)

That was the 20th century however.

Where I live now in the outskirts of a different larger town, getting anywhere would be a nightmare without a car (it's bad enough with a car). Main supermarket maybe 60 mins walk (and 60 min walk back with half-a-dozen heavy bags), station 40 mins, doctor 50 mins. Of course without a car, I wouldn't have lived where I do ...
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Oh I'm far worse than that. Told to pull over in a long wide road devoid of any cars I still managed to leave it face in to the pavement with one wheel on the kerb.

I'll be totally honest here ......I sometimes think my head was put on back to front as I have no idea when it comes to manouvering etc.

I did do an online test a while ago and found that the left side of my brain is about 85% dominant - I don't really know if that's relevant. I do know that I wouldn't really feel fully confident behind the wheel though as my judgement is suspect and I am a bit impulsive.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have my test today. I've never actually enjoyed driving as I find it incredibly stressful so if I don't pass today, I wouldn't be surprised if I give up.
    Hopefully it won't come to that though. I've been practising a lot recently.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have friends who have moved out of outer London Boroughs into Essex, Kent and parts of Sussex. Most of them really regret it because they need cars to go everywhere. To buy houses near amenities is really expensive and some of them work in London. So they have to pay parking at the station plus the fare into London is really expensive. One of them is trying to move back into the London suburbs but cant afford it.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I learnt to drive as soon as I turned 17, and passed my test 7 months later first time. That was almost 7 years ago to the day, and I can't imagine not being able to drive. I don't drive often any more, as I now get the train/tube to work, but after I'd passed, I would drive to school and drove to my previous job. But just being able to pop in the car, as opposed to having to rely on public transport or others to give you a lift is great. My brother will be 28 next month, and he's never learnt and doesn't seem to have any want to either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be totally honest here ......I sometimes think my head was put on back to front as I have no idea when it comes to manouvering etc.

I did do an online test a while ago and found that the left side of my brain is about 85% dominant - I don't really know if that's relevant. I do know that I wouldn't really feel fully confident behind the wheel though as my judgement is suspect and I am a bit impulsive.

I cant cant dance or kick my feet when swimming so my coordination isnt the best a lot of the time. I think thatd my problem. Plus being married to a knight of the road, well its his duty to ferry me about. (Can someone tell him that please).
  • dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have my test today. I've never actually enjoyed driving as I find it incredibly stressful so if I don't pass today, I wouldn't be surprised if I give up.
    Hopefully it won't come to that though. I've been practising a lot recently.

Best of luck fezzer, fingers crossed!

To those saying don't need to drive, so never learnt.. I doubt many really NEED to drive, same as they don't need a mobile phone, or more than one pair of shoes. It's a good skill to have though.
  • Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never learnt to drive and probably never will, mainly because I will never be able to afford to run a car.

I'm not that bothered most of the time, but if I could comfortably afford it, it would make life a lot easier.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    As my family are disabled we could actually get a free car (well the money comes weekly out of benefits we get for mobility) and everything would be sorted by them the MOT Tax ect only thing we would have to do is pay outright for the petrol so it's not a money thing it's just that I have 0% interest in driving and have no real need to anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 40 in a few months and don't drive. Did some lessons at 18 and again about 5yrs ago. It's not that I couldn't, I hated it.

I'm too nervous, scared of the others on the road and it was a trial from start to end. I wound up with fibromyalgia anyway and with the amount of meds I'm on I wouldn't dream of getting behind the wheel.

I'm even a nervous passenger. It's just not something I want and there really isn't a 'need' to drive at all. I'm also a mother of four and while the kids have a father to drive them around they love the public transport with me. If anything, it's those who can't imagine survival without a car I feel for. It 'can' be a convenience, no more than that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I learned to drive from the age of 18, I don't know how I would cope in an emergency if I didn't drive. I have had to take my children to A&E at various times and my mother when she was ill. I would be lost without it
  • justamummyjustamummy Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    I don't drive. I don't need to. My daughter doesn't miss out on days out as we use public transport. To drive to her school I would have to park further away than the bus stop. Cars park outside my house to go to the children's hospital.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am dyspraxic and have never been told I cannot drive because of it, But I am clumsy on occasion so do not trust myself totally.

Besides that I prefer to keep fit by walking and save money by not having the financial burden of a car.