What do you think of neighbours who have wind chimes?

rufusrainrufusrain Posts: 923
Forum Member
✭✭
One of my neighbours has one at the front of their house and I always find the sound eerie and unworldly when I come and go.

I wonder why they have one and what can be gained from such an item in a public location.

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have ours in the kitchen window, it's decorative and I like the tinkling sound when the wind blows through it. But in deference to not everyone might appreciate it I have it inside so when the window is closed it isn't annoying anyone.
  • chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    rufusrain wrote: »
    One of my neighbours has one at the front of their house and I always find the sound eerie and unworldly when I come and go.

I wonder why they have one and what can be gained from such an item in a public location.

My neighbour has some outside their front door.

She plays music often and its loud enough to hear the lyrics of the songs through the connecting wall.

I figure she has the wind chimes because she seems to like noise.

I find the sound of them eerie, too.
    Her loud music is just annoying.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have much of an viewpoint either way about people who fit wind chimes, but my opinion of people who complain about other people's wind chimes without good reason isn't very high.

They'd have to be the size of a set of tubular bells to bother me much personally outside of the few times I'm leaving or entering my house on a windy day.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I think it should be legal to shoot them and bury them in their own back garden with said wind chimes >:( ;-)

Seriously, I hate them. There was one in our garden when I was growing up that I hated bitterly. I was relieved when it broke even if my parents still think it was me that broke it (I'm completely innocent I swear).

If someone must have one in their garden I would prefer it was a wooden one, they are slightly more bearable.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I think windchimes are lovely :)
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind them, but they can get a bit much when it's really windy. During the storms when it was blowing like mad through here there were fence panels getting knocked down, I don't imagine wind chimes would have stood much of a chance, lol.
  • DenonDaveDenonDave Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    I find the smell quite offensive, and please stop calling me chimes.
  • rufusrainrufusrain Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think people should consider others when thinking about where to locate a wind chime. It's like being in a horror movie where something creepy is about to happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like wind chimes, I used to have a set hanging in a tree in my garden, but sadly the tree had to go as the roots were threatening to interfer with the foundations of my house ( the man at the garden center said it was a dwarf variety but he lied lol).
    Now I have a glass teardrop set just inside my bedroom window, I find the sound really restful and soothing.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like them. They are at a pitch/frequency that is very jarring to me. It's not a pleasant sound at all.
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Can't stand the bloody things, ching chang ching every time there's the slightest breeze! Luckily neither of my next door neighbours have them, otherwise it would be a late night raid with the garden shears.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i have loads of wind chimes..two in bathroom, one in bedroom and one in kitchen :D
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My neighbour has a set in the garden. They used to annoy me, but now I've got used to them, I quite like the sound.

It's infinitely preferable to the constant clucking and squawking from the chickens on the other side. They drive me bloody demented.

I think they might have to be kidnapped by the Chicken Liberation Front before it gets warm enough for me to want to sit in the garden.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    yea i reckon the garden ones can be annoying at night when your sleeping..an old neighbour in our old place used to have those big wooden ones on their tree..All i heard was bong bong bong..very annoying
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    I have it inside so when the window is closed it isn't annoying anyone.

So when the window is closed, there is no wind blowing....
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    they should be shot
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    they should be shot

Took the words right out of my mouth. :D
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have one set in my garden just outside my bedroom window, I also have a fountain going.. its lovely laying there with my window open at night and listing to both sounds. Its a memorial garden and have frogs and hedgehogs all making noise but its noise that to me is relaxing not annoying.

I would not have one before as was always worried about the lady next door not liking them even though they are only medium size ones
    . Now I dont really care if she can hear them anymore. I'm more relaxed about bothering the neighbour these days.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So when the window is closed, there is no wind blowing....

Yes hence they don't annoy people at night when the window is closed - quite a simple concept really.
  • jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,634
    Forum Member
    I quite like the sound of the wind on it's own thanks very much.

Wind chimes are unwelcome noise pollution IMO and fortunately my neighbours seem to feel the same way.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never complain to a neighbour about them so that if they were to disappear in the dead of nght you wouldn't' be a prime suspect.
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    I love wind chimes and own quite a few, wooden and metal ones which hang inside and outside the house.

I find their eerie clinking/woody rattling quite relaxing!
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am utterly outraged by their arrogance.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Yes hence they don't annoy people at night when the window is closed - quite a simple concept really.

So you agree they are annoying, but only when you have the window open?
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    So you agree they are annoying, but only when you have the window open?

I think you have got the wrong end of the stick I'm sure Molliepops has them inside her home not outside.

Otherwise you post makes no sense :D