'Outrage' as Tesco employees post abusive comments about its customers on the Net

Comments

• GoodMikeyGoodMikey Posts: 2,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as long as this is not said in Tesco to customers whilst working, I just think that if they post it on facebook they are off duty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    They are not always right though I believe that you should always be curteous towards customers.

The public in various situations can be downright rude and there are times in which you shouldn't bend to them.

My daughter works at Sainsburys and told me about a customer making various demands such as opening new packs of ham instead of the ones being used.

I was being sarcastic. :o
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GoodMikey wrote: »
    as long as this is not said in Tesco to customers whilst working, I just think that if they post it on facebook they are off duty.

It is a bit stupid though isn't it? If I went round bad mouthing clients I would expect to be shown the door, regardless of whether it was at work or in a social situation.

If you work for a company surely one of the first rules is don't cause it embarrassment, which is what they have done. The second is probably don't be thick enough to give your real name while you are doing it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well they are stupid making those comments on a public arena where their real names and pictures are.

Can you imagine a school facebook group where the teachers slag off kids or parents?
    There would (rightly) be outrage, and the teachers sacked.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paper Doll wrote: »
    Digital Spy forums = Gays who hate the Daily Mail :yawn:

So this describes you as well?:confused:
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What made them think it was acceptable to be part of a Facebook group which smears the Tesco brand in the first place? Just goes to show how immature and spiteful some of these Tesco employees are.

If you criticise your company's customers under your real name, you deserve everything you get.

I think it is natural for staff to want to let off steam - I have worked in retail and know exactly how horrible some customers an be.

However........

They did it publically under their real names - which was silly. I bet in their contract they are required to act in a manner which does not damage the Tesco brand (I know I have something along those lines in my current jobs contract - which isnt in retail).
  • lumpbottomlumpbottom Posts: 18,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are not always right though I believe that you should always be curteous towards customers.

The public in various situations can be downright rude and there are times in which you shouldn't bend to them.

My daughter works at Sainsburys and told me about a customer making various demands such as opening new packs of ham instead of the ones being used.
    Much as I detest Tesco, the deli in one ALWAYS opens a new joint of pork for me as I want it cut at about three times the thickness of that already on the counter.
    One person said no because there was some cut and was soundly told off by the manager.'
    Morrisons will do the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wiz Net wrote: »
    Last week some idiot told me that when we discovered out Christmas turkey had green stuff growing on it (on Christmas Eve) we should have put it in the freezer and then taken it back into the store. Excuse me, but how many health and safety rules must that have broken?

None. Keeping spoiled food frozen before return is standard though whether you should be expected to know that is debatable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    judging by some comments on the DS threads from somewhat unhappy customers I can see why retail workers post threads about chavvy customers. British people could be labeled with that old aussie nickname couldnt they?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What made them think it was acceptable to be part of a Facebook group which smears the Tesco brand in the first place? Just goes to show how immature and spiteful some of these Tesco employees are.

If you criticise your company's customers under your real name, you deserve everything you get.

They have to get proof thought that it was you.. how do you know it is not some weird person with all those accounts who has a list of all there staff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bosses of retail chains aren't stupid. They know their employees are going to go on the internet and bitch about customers. It's when stupid employees do it so blatently, giving away their name, location, store they work in and describing events in such detail that it's not unthinkable the actual customer being ridiculed could find it and recognise it.

Somebody who worked in a shop in the town centre where I live posted a lot of abusive comments about customers on the website of the local Newspaper - it didn't take long at all for several customers to recognise the scenarios being bitched about.

Doing it on Facebook is silly in the extreme. Even if your profile is private, anybody with access to the group can see who's posting as they have their name and location displayed. They can expect to be in serious trouble when they next go into work.
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lumpbottom wrote: »
    Much as I detest Tesco, the deli in one ALWAYS opens a new joint of pork for me as I want it cut at about three times the thickness of that already on the counter.
    One person said no because there was some cut and was soundly told off by the manager.'
    Morrisons will do the same.

The ham is cut as required and not pre cut. The customer in question just wanted a new pack opening.

She was apparently awkward about everything and tested my daughters patience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She was apparently awkward about everything and tested my daughters patience.

Well she was just asking to be abused on an internet site then:rolleyes:

Heaven forbid that people should asked for what they actually want.
  • lumpbottomlumpbottom Posts: 18,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the joint is used up enough for the slices to be smallish, in Tesco and Morrisons they will open a new joint anyway.

Some of them seem to forget they are paid to serve and are not doing people a favour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lumpbottom wrote: »
    If the joint is used up enough for the slices to be smallish, in Tesco and Morrisons they will open a new joint anyway.

My Gran would call that :Finnerky, Felicity :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well she was just asking to be abused on an internet site then:rolleyes:

Heaven forbid that people should asked for what they actually want.

I don't condone abusing anyone but customers/the public can be hard work and difficult. People should be able to ask for what they want but to be difficult for the sake of it is not acceptable in my eyes.

In my job I have to deal with situations though thankfully rarely.

I also deal with the public in something I do voluntarily and on occassion people can be downright rude and offensive for no reason even to the point of lying.

It happened to me last year but I had kept an e-mail from the person in question which proved she was lying.
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Paper Doll wrote: »
    Digital Spy forums = Gays who hate the Daily Mail :yawn:

You're half right with me. Which half of this is the worse insult in your book? And what does it have to do with Tesco?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The whole idea of public groups is that people get together who share something in common and chat about stuff. In this case they all work for Tesco. I have had numerous discussions with friends about how horrible customers can be. I could set up a group tomorrow saying how rude Tesco employees are but no one would bat an eyelid. If action is going to be taken for saying something bad about a company or customer of the company then we are taking a huge step backwards and limiting free speech. It is all swings and roundabouts. I will be professional on my job and am always pleasant even if they don't make the effort, but out of work I can say whatever I want. Obviously if you was a more high profile person, say a chief exec or celebrity or politician you would probably be best advised to keep opinions to yourself unless you want a huge PR problem.
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After a cetain period of my life working wintin retail and dealing a lot with the general public there are a lot of stupid and annoying, aggressive and pointless people out there, however there are a lot of lovely people as well, the worst seem to be between the ages of 40 to 60 who think they know everything and demand to be treated like royalty where the other age groups are pretty dam cool.
    The customer isnt always right they are generally wrong but if you are polite and smile and sort it out for them they are aways bemused and backdown straight away where if you are defensive it just makes them agitated.

that was a bit stupid for tesco staff to link thier photos names with thier comments but there should always be a vent for retail staff somewhere. Plus the daily MAil is a piece of crap in teh first place and would slate anything that didnt fit within its so called morales.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't condone abusing anyone but customers/the public can be hard work and difficult. People should be able to ask for what they want but to be difficult for the sake of it is not acceptable in my eyes.

You claim to be not condoning it but you've now made two posts that appear to be justifying it.
  • deltadelta Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AaronG wrote: »
    So anyone who thinks a story in the Daily Mail is a bit of a non-issue is "gay" ?

Not a very grown up attiude is it.

Your post = 'a straight' who hasn't made a very good point

The Mail tells it as it is, that's what upsets so many people, they cannot handle the truth. As for Tesco, I despise them, they have the attitiude that they are doing the customer a favour by being there. They are far too big and powerful and need bringing down. It will happen one day...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    cybergirl3 wrote: »
    I was being sarcastic. :o

Sorry Cyber ;)

xx
    You claim to be not condoning it but you've now made two posts that appear to be justifying it.

I am pointing out that I feel customers can be very difficult, retail workers appear to get some flak at times.

I personally wouldn't put something on a website, well certainly not anything nasty or offensive.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kyussmondo wrote: »
    The whole idea of public groups is that people get together who share something in common and chat about stuff. In this case they all work for Tesco. I have had numerous discussions with friends about how horrible customers can be. I could set up a group tomorrow saying how rude Tesco employees are but no one would bat an eyelid. If action is going to be taken for saying something bad about a company or customer of the company then we are taking a huge step backwards and limiting free speech. It is all swings and roundabouts. I will be professional on my job and am always pleasant even if they don't make the effort, but out of work I can say whatever I want. Obviously if you was a more high profile person, say a chief exec or celebrity or politician you would probably be best advised to keep opinions to yourself unless you want a huge PR problem.
    As Moony said, it is not uncommon for an employment contract to have a clause about damage to the company's reputation. I think you'll find many (or even most) employees have already agreed to a limit on their free speech.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As Moony said, it is not uncommon for an employment contract to have a clause about damage to the company's reputation. I think you'll find many (or even most) employees have already agreed to a limit on their free speech.

Yes but discussing a customer out of work is a confidentiality breach, surely?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,786
    Forum Member
    GoatHoof wrote: »
    In fact, if I were to be named and shamed, then punished for it, i.e. sacked, I would want to sue the paper (but not have a clue how to go about doing this)
    It would be a long shot to say the least.

These individuals put their comments into the public domain. There is nothing to stop the Mail from reporting them.