Options

ITV HD - Not HD

mikehadfieldmikehadfield Posts: 2,221
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have noticed that my ITV HD (am in Sheffield so get ITV HD Granada) is ot actually showing stuff in HD, but they are upscaled SD.

The logo in the top left just says "itv" rather than "itvhd".

I also have Freesat so have checked ITV-HD on there and that is fine - showing proper HD with the "itvhd" logo.

Does anyone know if there are any problems with ITV-HD at the moment that could be causing this?

Comments

• Options
    Thames/LWTThames/LWT Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Looks like you're receiving the test feed that will become ITV Yorkshire HD on Freeview that's been running on satellite for a few weeks. That has the DOG you described. (It's also brighter). Checked during programme before Granada Reports.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,947
    Forum Member
    I have noticed that my ITV HD (am in Sheffield so get ITV HD Granada) is ot actually showing stuff in HD, but they are upscaled SD.

The logo in the top left just says "itv" rather than "itvhd".

I also have Freesat so have checked ITV-HD on there and that is fine - showing proper HD with the "itvhd" logo.

Does anyone know if there are any problems with ITV-HD at the moment that could be causing this?

Same here in the Tyne Tees (Bilsdale) area, as to on air logo on ITV HD on Freeview. Any new ITV HD Yorkshire looks likely to be available in the Tyne Tees area as well - in place of Granada. My EPG listings still show Granada Reports up to next Wednesday - will keep an eye out to see if it changes to Calendar at some point. Still just a test feed on Sky with the normal ITV HD Granada at 178.
  • Options
    Sun Glasses RonSun Glasses Ron Posts: 17,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mentioned this a few weeks back

We receive ITV HD central region via DTT & sat

Recently the regional news moved to a new studio/location

The outside broadcasts/vt runs are in HD where as the live studio broadcasts are definately not in HD

Cant understand the logic of moving to new studios & whilst it would appear to use old equipment
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's been speculation that ITV may be supplying the SD feed by down converting the HD feed, meaning that they cannot put the HD logo on.

This is similar to when 625 line television started, they eventually fed the 405 line service by downscaling the 625 line signal with the use of a standards converter.
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    I mentioned this a few weeks back

We receive ITV HD central region via DTT & sat

Recently the regional news moved to a new studio/location

The outside broadcasts/vt runs are in HD where as the live studio broadcasts are definately not in HD

Cant understand the logic of moving to new studios & whilst it would appear to use old equipment

ITV News Central is from the same studio as before, it's just the set that's been changed.
  • Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange - so is it upscaled SD or original HD downscaled? I was told that the change on 4 August would be that Emley Moor's HD feed would change from Granada to Yorkshire but it looks as if Granada is being sent via Leeds and back again - so not getting HD at source? Winter Hill feed of HD also has "itv" DOG rather than "itvhd" DOG.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strangely tonight the picture on ITV HD Central News seems to have improved

Maybe someone flicked the switch or read these posts:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    ITV News Central is from the same studio as before, it's just the set that's been changed.

Thanks for the update

You would have thought they would use HD as industry standard !
  • Options
    wilson500wilson500 Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's been speculation that ITV may be supplying the SD feed by down converting the HD feed, meaning that they cannot put the HD logo on.

This is similar to when 625 line television started, they eventually fed the 405 line service by downscaling the 625 line signal with the use of a standards converter.

This may be the case, but wouldn't actually stop them having the HD logo on the HD picture. An image store can be added into the HD chain at a point after the picture for down conversion is tapped off.

The image store can still be controlled by the automation system allowing the bug to be dynamically turned on and off.
  • Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,744
    Forum Member
    ITV HD Meridian was upscaled SD today from 2.00 to 6.00 p.m. despite listings as HD. There was no HD on the logo. This used to happen when I had ITV HD London on Sky before I moved: there were often afternoon non HD sessions. No idea why.
  • Options
    epsilonepsilon Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »
    Strange - so is it upscaled SD or original HD downscaled? I was told that the change on 4 August would be that Emley Moor's HD feed would change from Granada to Yorkshire but it looks as if Granada is being sent via Leeds and back again - so not getting HD at source? Winter Hill feed of HD also has "itv" DOG rather than "itvhd" DOG.

Don't over-think it. BBC B is still grouped as a northern macro region with TSID 16521 carrying ITV HD Granada SID 17609 across the entire region.

Presumably Granada / Border and Yorkshire / Tyne Tees will split services at some point with their own individual TSIDs & ITV HD SIDs. That hasn't happened yet.
  • Options
    Toxteth O'GradyToxteth O'Grady Posts: 8,497
    Forum Member
    You would have thought they would use HD as industry standard !
    There's no 'industry standard' like that. You won't find anything new installed as SD, but existing plant will stay SD until it gets replaced
  • Options
    LiamCarbinLiamCarbin Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    No ITV HD DOG here in Stoke-on-Trent (Central West) been like this for about a week now
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So is the picture 720 now instead of 1080? Same here at winter hill no itv hd dog
  • Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no HD dog at all now. All regions swapped over on Thursday. The northern batch changed on Wednesday.
  • Options
    n_a1n_a1 Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Jackpot247 still showing as 'Upscaled HD' on belmont, guess they mean 720p upscaled to 1080i but to me it looks like sharpened 576i, it has edge ringing artifacts on text and skin has that plastic / washed out detail look.
  • Options
    AdamAnalogueAdamAnalogue Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    In Nottingham, on Virgin Media cable, this week I have been seeing a few ITV programmes which should have the ITV HD logo on channel 113 (ITV HD on Virgin) but do not. Examples are Emmerdale and Gino's Italian cooking thing. We also saw the AD logo appear at the start of Emmerdale - this is not usually seen on 113. These changes were only noticeable this week. I'm aware of changes around this week on DTT feeds of ITV HD in the north of England, but am surprised it is affecting cable in Nottingham. Usually the ITV HD feed we see here is the Central West Midlands variety.

Has anyone else noticed this? Would be interesting to know the geographical spread.
    Picture on these programmes still looks better than on 103 (ITV SD - East Midlands) but it might just be upscaled SD showing on 113.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    So is the picture 720 now instead of 1080? Same here at winter hill no itv hd dog

720 is not used in the UK, Winter Hill ITVHD looks like good quality SD, no idea what is happening but hopefully it will be resolved soon.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was watching the ITV HD regions on satellite yesterday and Central's picture quality was poor, especially the local weather insert at 3:58pm which was sub-SD quality. Granada still looked like full HD though.
  • Options
    Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,601
    Forum Member
    My signal comes from Crystal Palace and I haven't got HD on the 103 DOG either but the current picture (Jeremy Vyle is on) on 103 is better than on 3. On Thursday this week I noticed that This Morning was upscaled, which seems odd for a live broadcast.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,947
    Forum Member
    Kevin1960 wrote: »
    My signal comes from Crystal Palace and I haven't got HD on the 103 DOG either but the current picture (Jeremy Vyle is on) on 103 is better than on 3. On Thursday this week I noticed that This Morning was upscaled, which seems odd for a live broadcast.

Just to be clear - the HD part of the ITV HD DOG has been removed. ITV HD now has simply a "itv" DOG irrespective of whether content is upscaled SD or HD.

As for This Morning it isn't broadcast in HD anyway so is always upscaled SD. The studio used still isn't HD equipped.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although it doesn't say HD on the Winter Hill ITVHD transmission it is in HD this morning. Yesterday it looked upscaled. SD is very poor in comparison.
  • Options
    MrAlexEdohHDMrAlexEdohHD Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    No, ITV have made HD the default, so they are instead downscaling the HD feed to show the SD feed that's why they don't have the 'HD' tag. I think it's good they've done this.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    No, ITV have made HD the default, so they are instead downscaling the HD feed to show the SD feed that's why they don't have the 'HD' tag. I think it's good they've done this.

This thread is over a year old!!

and they do the same for ITV2, 3 & 4, all that have the 'HD' tag on them!
  • Options
    MrAlexEdohHDMrAlexEdohHD Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    This thread is over a year old!!

and they do the same for ITV2, 3 & 4, all that have the 'HD' tag on them!

When I watch them on the HUB (they do show the HD channels) they still have the 'HD' tag, but the SD channels on my TV don't have the 'HD' tag.