DVB-T Freeview tuners compatible with Mac

Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,663
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Are there any Freeview USB tuners which are compatible with a Mac?

A friend wants to be able to record to her Mac after seeing how I'm able to, but I'm using Windows 7.

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are there any Freeview USB tuners which are compatible with a Mac?

A friend wants to be able to record to her Mac after seeing how I'm able to, but I'm using Windows 7.
    Good luck with that. I think Macs make pretty poor HTPCs.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google for a brand called Elgato - much of their Eye TV range works with Macs. Probably better to go for a FreeviewHD version.

I've seen a few people use them with Mac Minis.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Good luck with that. I think Macs make pretty poor HTPCs.

I disagree. A Mac Mini plugged into a TV wouldn't be a bad HTPC. Course with the new ones you need an optical drive if you want to watch DVDs on it but they would get the job done. Even a Mac Mini/Apple TV combo would work out alright.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree. A Mac Mini plugged into a TV wouldn't be a bad HTPC. Course with the new ones you need an optical drive if you want to watch DVDs on it but they would get the job done. Even a Mac Mini/Apple TV combo would work out alright.

I meant that OSX isn't the choice for most people as an Media PC, it can't even do Blu-Ray. In fact, a lot of people put Windows or Linux on Mac Mini.

I do have an AppleTV and its great for music and video streaming, put I have a Windows PC which records terrestrial and satellite TV.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    I disagree. A Mac Mini plugged into a TV wouldn't be a bad HTPC.
    They were promising as a media centre until Apple decided in their wisdom to do away with the optical drive, and (probably more importantly) remove FrontRow from OS X

I would imagine XBMC is probably the best bet now.