BBC concerns over Doctor Who - Daily Mail

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The people who moan about the Overnights need to realise that it isn't the 1980s anymore,overnights aren't the be all and end all of the situation

Overnights are only important to commercial TV stations such as ITV, Channel 4 and 5.

So that advertisers can place their adverts, in the advert breaks of the highest shows.

Advertisers don't want people to DVR or watch itv-player....

Viewers would just fast forward past their very expensive adverts!
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJB 2007 wrote: »
    Overnights are only important to commercial TV stations such as ITV, Channel 4 and 5.

So that advertisers can place their adverts, in the advert breaks of the highest shows.

Advertisers don't want people to DVR or watch itv-player....

Viewers would just fast forward past their very expensive adverts!

i know they did try to come up with ways of making their ads work even when being Fast forwarded, didn't hear anything since
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hardylane wrote: »
    In your opinion.
    Who else's would I post? It is an increasingly common one, though.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SJB 2007 wrote: »
    The most telling stat is that this series has the same average as Series 3 !!!

Was there the same gnashing of teeth then as there is now?

"It's all Freema Agyeman's fault!"
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could technically be true that the BBC want to get rid of Moffat, but I'd take anything the Daily Mail says with a pinch of salt...or a bucket load.

"Only 4.6 million people have tuned in to some episodes, and though the BBC insists the resurrected drama has eight million viewers, even this is well down from the ten million when the show was revived in 2005."

This of course is complete BS. 4.6 is ignoring time shifting and the BBC aren't "insisting" the drama is getting 8 million viewers; they're stating a fact (well, it's actually closer to 7 million, but anyway). And the show received 10 million viewers on the first episode ONLY in 2005. Every other episode was around 7/8 million.
    A shameless distortion of the facts. Just what you'd expect from the Daily Mail.
  • Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually if we are getting technical then the show has more than 8 million fans, just 8 million tvs, as a lot of households have more than one person at a time....;) :D:p
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Banks246 wrote: »
    I can imagine it went something like this...

Daily mail person tries to get into the BBC studio and fails.

They bump into the cleaner and get his opinions of the show and the state of it and print it as an official story and breaking news. -_-

More like:
    "There's lots of Doctor Who attention at the moment with the finale coming up - time to jump on the bandwagon and stir up controversy at the same time. Google 'doctor who i hate steven moffat everything is rubbish'."
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are so many things the DM deliberately ignores to make its Anti BBC points.

1 Doctor Who has had the headwind of the ratings Juggernaut of BGT on ITV to battle with, and also the FA Cup final, Anything which is shown against these will suffer.

2. Iplayer views and BBC 3 repeat's are ignored completely, whilst its ok to add ITV1 + ITV1+1 for BGT, its not a level playing field as journalists ignore the very high catch up with Doctor Who.

3 The inconsistent time of DW on a Saturday is hurting it, we was SCD get hurt in 2011 with random start times but in 2012 did very well with a set start time.

4 DW is still becoming more and more popular world wide and has a cult following.

5 The overall figures show DW holding up well against a majority of shows falling off in Spring.

6 All popular newspapers obsession with anything DW, plot lines new doctors, assistants would indicate they know is very popular otherwise they would devote so much newspaper coverage to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    It could technically be true that the BBC want to get rid of Moffat, but I'd take anything the Daily Mail says with a pinch of salt...or a bucket load.

"Only 4.6 million people have tuned in to some episodes, and though the BBC insists the resurrected drama has eight million viewers, even this is well down from the ten million when the show was revived in 2005."

This of course is complete BS. 4.6 is ignoring time shifting and the BBC aren't "insisting" the drama is getting 8 million viewers; they're stating a fact (well, it's actually closer to 7 million, but anyway). And the show received 10 million viewers on the first episode ONLY in 2005. Every other episode was around 7/8 million.
    A shameless distortion of the facts. Just what you'd expect from the Daily Mail.

There's also this posted at the end of last month. Apologies, I don't know if it's been posted on here, or how much credibility it has (the original blog has been deleted) but it's all very interesting...
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,476
    Forum Member
    I wonder how DM's circulation figures have been going the last few years? :rolleyes:

The general decline in newspaper circulations and the lack of take up on pay wall editions will be the reason of course. But then they never apply the same journalistic standards to themselves or let the truth or a fair interpretation of the truth get in the way of a good story.

Who would seriously pay any newspaper any attention at all these days?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's get one thing clear, it would make no sense to come out and say anything this close to the finale and before the 50th anniversary.

The fact it is an anonymous source makes it even more dodgy.

A worst it is a bitter individual who just has a grudge against Moffat and wants to cause trouble.
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Banks246 wrote: »
    Let's get one thing clear, it would make no sense to come out and say anything this close to the finale and before the 50th anniversary.

The fact it is an anonymous source makes it even more dodgy.

A worst it is a bitter individual who just has a grudge against Moffat and wants to cause trouble.
    Anonymous source - the journalist on the next desk who probably pulled a story out of their hat.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Another day, another sensationalist tabloid article on Doctor Who ratings. :yawn:
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    I wonder how DM's circulation figures have been going the last few years? :rolleyes:

The general decline in newspaper circulations and the lack of take up on pay wall editions will be the reason of course. But then they never apply the same journalistic standards to themselves or let the truth or a fair interpretation of the truth get in the way of a good story.

Who would seriously pay any newspaper any attention at all these days?

The paper version I expect is down, like others. But MailOnline is now the worlds biggest newspaper website - it says so Here - so it must be true;)

Yes the Daily Wail will always, always twist the knife in dear old auntie Beeb - but for me the Moffat years have been less than stellar and I'd welcome a change at the top.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Typical Daily Fail rubbish.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amyy. wrote: »
    There's also this posted at the end of last month. Apologies, I don't know if it's been posted on here, or how much credibility it has (the original blog has been deleted) but it's all very interesting...

I've never heard any of that before so I'm dubious as to its credibility.
    Regardless, the BBC need to do something to restore Doctor Who to its former 13 episode per annum glory.

I really hope they don't cancel Doctor Who. I can't see them doing so any time soon, but if they do, I will cry. :(
  • Dan06Dan06 Posts: 1,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this article in the actual newspaper or just the version online?
  • LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sadly, I can believe the description of Moffat as being bad tempered and ruthless. That impression came over from his time on twitter and other interviews. I sincerely hope the rest of the article is hyperbole though.
    If Moffat is any of those things, it's only because he cares so much for the show and gets so invested in his projects that he has little patience for error. (IMO)
    Some of Moffat's ideas haven't been great, but I challenge the DM to find me a show runner who's made 100% perfect decisions. All in all, he is a real asset to the show.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never fail to be disappointed with any link provided in these forums to the Daily Mail.

This Dr Who "story" is obviously completely made up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have trouble believing anything about Moffat written on ONTD. If one would believe the articles/comments on there about him then surely Moffat must be the Devil himself presonified. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Even better the article originally comes from the person who confirmed themselves to be a troll with the whole 50th Anniversary spoilers thing.A very credible source indeed.
  • anteroantero Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    No one who looks at the facts can deny that the ratings themselves are consistent and that this series is doing just as good as any of the previous lot. However, am I the only one who feels as though the show has lost its cultural power? I remember the build up to the Series Four finale, the buzz and news coverage was hyperbolic. Yet despite this episode being called The Name Of The Doctor, there is a lack of real news/tabloid interest?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    antero wrote: »
    No one who looks at the facts can deny that the ratings themselves are consistent and that this series is doing just as good as any of the previous lot. However, am I the only one who feels as though the show has lost its cultural power? I remember the build up to the Series Four finale, the buzz and news coverage was hyperbolic. Yet despite this episode being called The Name Of The Doctor, there is a lack of real news/tabloid interest?

It's probably because it is not a 2 parter.

We get a massive cliff hanger ending like the Doctor regenerating, it gives something for everyone to talk about.

This is not, so no one knows what to expect.

Therefore less buzz and speculation.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In fairness, the Series Four finale had a lot packed in to it and a cliffhanger for the penultimate which pushed it up massively.

10 seemingly regenerating was cause for an extra buzz. But NOTD is still getting the usual coverage. Tabloid previews. Interviews. Speculation. Magazine covers.

ETA: Banks got in there.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The cultural impact is far less.

Normally this is the point when a TV series is cancelled, however Dr Who can regenerate itself very easily.

But a botched series regeneration would kill it dead. Moffat would not be the best choice to restart the series.
  • 16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We all know how much the Daily Mail just LOVES the BBC, so I'm sure this is absolutely 100% true... :rolleyes:

If, however, this is true, why do the BBC dislike Steven Moffat? What, aren't there enough episodes featuring farting aliens and Daleks every series finale? Or is it the fact that he isn't referencing Rose every other episode?