Do You Watch The News?

2»

Comments

• swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah, I don't watch news. I'll see the BBC3 60 mins update before Family Guy but that's it.

I catch up on current events in the afternoon when an Evening Standard is shoved into my hand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just bought a book called, 'The News - A Users Guide,' to help me with this very problem.

I'm a new fan of podcasts too, which are much better when it comes to gaining an understanding of news topics, so I think apart from the odd bit off TV news I'd prefer to stick to them, because there is something very depressing about Sky news in the daytime.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Sometimes I do. When I'm at home and not doing much I leave the TV on a news channel. I used to watch a certain finance news channel every day, hence my username ;-) Most of the time I get news online now as I'm not at home much.
  • UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I do but I hate listening to the radio when they give you exactly the same news over and over again. Drives me nuts.
  • alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    "Fact: 99.99% of all News is rubbish".

They do 20min and then they repeat it for the next 6 hrs until they record a new segment, or have some rubbish breaking news.
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it once. But didn't go much on it.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    For decades I got up and turned on the radio.....R4, or later R5

Then for some unexplained reason a year or two ago I started to put the TV on when I got up and flick between Sky News and News24

I often say to myself.....I'll have a look at the news, see if anything has happened overnight but it very rarely has, its nearly always just yesterday's news

I also watch a couple of hours news before I go to bed starting with Newsnight then Sky news for the paper review then just leave Sky news on until I go to bed

I also like the parliament channel on during the day....watch the proceedings in the House......:blush:
  • TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the height of the Cold War I'd switch the radio on each morning to check that WW3 hadn't started... :(

I was at work when 9/11 happened and all we got was second hand reports, messages from friends and relatives who were home that day and I can remember driving home, listening to the reports on the radio then going straight to the TV when I got in because certain news stories have to be seen, a description isn't enough.
  • BPL2011BPL2011 Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    I like to watch the 0500 news on the BBC, and the World Business Report before work.

North West Tonight at 1830 if I am not doing anything else.

Beyond those I dip into Sky News and BBC News at various points.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..... yes to see latest fashion in newsreader tits or stickyout ears or bizarre hand gestures ......
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    No, not often. It must sound very selfish but I find it is frequently over-dramatised and the lead story should be somewhere at the end. Some of the newsreaders voices really grate, as well.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Not habitually, no. I will watch it if I catch it by chance, but I don't go out of my way to watch it. I read all my news online, and even then I usually catch it by chance thanks to this place and Facebook.
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    The TV News? I rarely tune in, its always all depressing.
    If I have time, yes, but usually only BBC or Channel 4 news - and sometimes Look East local news. I never watch Sky News or RT News - biased rubbish - at least the latter sometimes has the occasional documentary and makes no attempt to be impartial. When was the last time you saw a negative story about any part of the Murdoch empire on $ky ?
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather not as there is never good news. But my OH is a news junkie and I cannot avoid it. I really loved the news when the Olympics was on in London. There was a feelgood glow. After the Olympics ended we went straight into Saville child abuse stuff so the feelgood stuff did not last long, and it has been grim ever since.
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    Don't understand why some don't ever watch the news,
    You can't cacoon yourself away from the world,

It's not cacooning - there are other ways of finding out what has happened in the world than watching TV news. In fact, many better ways. Online news pages are "here's a list of stuff that's happening" and you just take in the headlines to keep abreast of happenings and/or research further at your own pace.

I find TV news, and newpapers, far too editorial. They will lead with what they think is important and sometimes spend far too much time on it. I don't particularly enjoy when they spend 20minutes of a 30minutes bulletin on one story and then go to the sport. Are they honestly saying nothing else has happened in the entire world today apart from some rivers getting full?

Also, I don't like the seemingly endless opinions and interpretation. Asking someone in the street what they think of the news isn't news, it's analysis.

It's trashy when the TV news lead story report ends with "and you can see more about that on Panorama tomorrow" - so you've just used 10 minutes of your flagship NEWS program as an advert for an upcoming documentary? Next you'll be telling me what's coming up on Doctor Who. Oh wait, you did that too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was watching Sky News 24/7 when Raul Moat went on his mission for murder. It was almost like watching a movie instead of the neews because it was so captivating, like what's he going to do next? where is he? will they find him? and you saw all these cops searching places etc; Very gripping.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I watch BBC Breakfast every morning as I'm getting ready for work. Other than that I follow a couple of the BBC news twitter accounts so I get updates during the day. If something has happened I'm particularly interested in I watch the news in the evening, or if I'm home when something major is happening I'll put on BBC News 24 to see the updates.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Always the 10 o'clock news on and generally the local 6.30 news on the BBC.

Radio Four generally on in th car on the way to and from work.

Perhaps there should be a light and fluffy, happy go lucky programme with little content for those that don't want depressing hard news.

Oh, wait. There is. The One Show.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listen the news and hope James Naughtie makes a spoonerism. I miss Charlotte Green.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    I miss Charlotte Green.

Yes. Me too, always on the edge waiting for a giggle.

Although I like Corrie Corfield and "The Clug".

I do wish they'd let Neil Nunes read the news though - fantastic voice.
  • ToriamathToriamath Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I often have it on in the background if there are no good programmes on.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    The TV News? I rarely tune in, its always all depressing.

Watch Sky news, the sound effects they use between stories make it amusing.