Options

At-Home Game Testers for AAA Xbox One Games

austino6austino6 Posts: 301
Forum Member
I am not affiliated with this company, VMC. I saw this posted on NeoGAF and filled out the application. This is exactly what the title says it is: at-home testing of AAA games. Their application listed PS3, PS4, 360, Xbox One, Wii U, 3DS, PC, and even smartphone and tablet.

This is the email i received from them:

Greetings,

This email is to confirm that we’ve successfully received your file and listed you as an eligible candidate for the VMC Global Beta Test Network projects.

Please note that currently, our focus is on a major Xbox One project. You have been listed as not having an Xbox One; if that is not the case, please reply to this email with your Xbox LIVE Gold Gamertag.

We will let everyone know once opportunities open up on different platforms – we have several projects currently cooking up! In the meantime, join us on our Facebook community at https://www.facebook.com/VMCRemoteTesting and follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/VMC_GBTN!

Note that we are still recruiting for Xbox One testers, so if you have friends or relatives who’d like to join, please redirect them to https://www.vmc.com/games/Pages/Multiplayer-Gamers-for-AAA-Titles.aspx.

Thank you, and have a great day,

GBTN Coordination Team
VMC Game Labs

Btw It's $10.50 an hour which is for 4 hours on saturday night's, this saturday will be my 2nd one, & trust me when i say it is one of the biggest releases this year.

Also you need to sign an NDA.

Comments

• Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    austino6 wrote: »
    & trust me when i say it is one of the biggest releases this year.

Half Life 3? Where do I sign up!
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, it's Fallout 4. It's nearly ready to go and Bethesda are going to spring it on us at E3.

But with all the broken games that are released aren't we all already at-home testers? Except we pay them for the privilage.
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How does the testing work? Do they send you some code to download the beta on the Marketplace?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    How does the testing work? Do they send you some code to download the beta on the Marketplace?

Yes they send a code a few hours before it goes live, but you need to sign the NDA first then you will get a further email with all the details.

Oh btw i don't know which game it will be this saturday but the last one was a belter so it should be this time to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    austino6 wrote: »
    Yes they send a code a few hours before it goes live, but you need to sign the NDA first then you will get a further email with all the details.

Oh btw i don't know which game it will be this saturday but the last one was a belter so it should be this time to.

Well I've signed up, lets see if I get accepted.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The survey itself looks a bit unprofessional (spelling errors, plus is on SurveyMonkey), but VMC.com seems a legit site, and you can find the link by navigating from the VMC homepage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got the NDA to sign today and sent it back. Doubt I won't get all the details in time for the test tomorrow, but hopefully the week after.

Do they normally run tests each weekend?
  • Options
    deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    Got the NDA to sign today and sent it back. Doubt I won't get all the details in time for the test tomorrow, but hopefully the week after.

Do they normally run tests each weekend?

Yeah I got the NDA today as well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This whole thing is very confusing, I have to say their emails are very badly put together and didn't explain anything.

I just got one advising I'm now a tester and their is a test coming soon (not sure if I'm allowed to say the date on here). Anyway, it just explains there are X number of testers between one date, and double that on another.

How do you know if you will be testing on one of those slots? Do they only let X number of people connect and once the limit is reached no one else can join the test? Or do you get another email with a code which means you will get in for sure?

Would hate to sit and download something, then try for ages to get on to find the limit has been reached each time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the same email, but it sounds like they will send the details of the test a little bit before hand and I assume that if you get that email you are on the test
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VMC is a third party QA company, though it is heavily linked with MS. In fact they are on MS campus! We've used them in the past to QA our games, but i dont think we will be considering this is how they are aquiring staff!!!!

They are paid by devs to QA properly, not get "beta testers"!
  • Options
    bob187bob187 Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are paid by devs to QA properly, not get "beta testers"!

As the testing takes place at very specific times, I would guess they are stress testing multiplayer servers, rather than testing specific aspects of the games.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bob187 wrote: »
    As the testing takes place at very specific times, I would guess they are stress testing multiplayer servers, rather than testing specific aspects of the games.

There are ways to do that without randomly bagging folk to do freebies like this...
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Unless you registered on their site as 'deadmancarl' for example, how is VMC going to know you broke their NDA?

And you pay them $11 dollars an hour for this 'priveledge?'

One born every minute (thats not directed at the username above btw)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    And you pay them $11 dollars an hour for this 'priveledge?'

Must admit I get the impression that it's the other way around: VMC pay the testers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well from the information that has come through so far we get paid an hourly rate in order to test but until it happens and I actually get some money I won't hold out any hope.

As for the NDA agreement I'm guessing that there are ways to track if people post info.
    In my case my username here is very similar to my Xbox gamertag and my steam username.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my case my username here is very similar to my Xbox gamertag and my steam username.

So... log on from a different location/use a VPN or TOR (I've known companies to chase IP addresses just for 'leaked' marketing material, even though the threats were empty) using a different username with a different email address attached to it...
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Ah right YOU get paid, I must have read the opening post the other way, not to worry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally got the NDA just now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was picked for this coming weekend but I'm away :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was picked for the next one.

Currently downloading [something]...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    I was picked for the next one.

Currently downloading [something]...

I've also been selected. Will be downloading the files tonight
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just seen the game for this weekend and cried that I'm missing it :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SO excited for tomorrow! That is all. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Roll on tomorrow see you guys online.