Options

blood pressure.

oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi

Just wondering please has anyone else had problems getting blood pressure under control. ?

its running at 168/110 most of the time this is with
Amlodipine, Losartan and indapamide.

the blood pressure doesn't seem to be touched by the meds im not over weight eat very little salt. But stress level is through the roof

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    mine reduced drastically when i gave up smoking and stopped eating meat.

sounds like you need to tackle your stress levels.

edit: mine was 160/90 ish, now it`s 120/70.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it is the stress level that is the main factor.

All that I can advise is that you also remove caffeine from your diet, and check that any prepared foods and sauces have little or no salt. Eat plenty of fruit & veg but avoid grapefruit/grapefruit juice if taking calcium channel blockers), and go for brisk but calming walks.

But importantly, what does your GP say? Do you self-check, and do you attend a CHD clinic regularly?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Perhaps it is the stress level that is the main factor.

All that I can advise is that you also remove caffeine from your diet, and check that any prepared foods and sauces have little or no salt. Eat plenty of fruit & veg but avoid grapefruit/grapefruit juice if taking calcium channel blockers), and go for brisk but calming walks.

But importantly, what does your GP say? Do you self-check, and do you attend a CHD clinic regularly?

Yep GP checks me weekly and later this week is going to try some new tablets.
    that's the main reason I posted here wondering if others were having the same problems trying to get it under control.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I very much agree with mossy2103 about brisk walking, maybe 30 or 45 minutes every day.

You have not mentioned alcohol which can be a factor.
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    that's the main reason I posted here wondering if others were having the same problems trying to get it under control.

Perhaps you have white coat syndrome. You could ask your doctor to fit you with a 24 hour blood pressure monitor and see what results that produces.

If the doctor takes my blood pressure it is high but if fitted with a 24 hour blood pressure monitor it is normal all day. Conclusion its white coat syndrome ie it stresses me out to go to the doctor. It is actually a well known syndrome
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »

Not had the same issue - started off at around 165/98 (classed as "moderate hypertension" by the GP) - with 10mg Ramipril, no caffeine, no salt and no cheese, and much more fruit & a glass of fruit juice a day, now stable at around 134/87 (my "ideal" is around 135/85), and the CHD nurses are happy.

Stress not a big issue though (apart from the white coat syndrome in the surgery, which is why I self-check)..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One question - do you check morning & evening, and do you check on both the left and right arms?
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is exercise an option for you OP?
  • Options
    Janet29Janet29 Posts: 22,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Oathy

if he cant get your blood pressure under control by using 3 meds he should be referring you to a cardiologist. Im sure the stress doesnt help and the fact that you arnt able to do much exercise. I use beetroot juice to help my BP it really does help. I wish you well and hope things improve for you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet29 wrote: »
    Hi Oathy

if he cant get your blood pressure under control by using 3 meds he should be referring you to a cardiologist. Im sure the stress doesnt help and the fact that you arnt able to do much exercise. I use beetroot juice to help my BP it really does help. I wish you well and hope things improve for you

thanks Janet I never knew about the juice I will 100% give that a go.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you have white coat syndrome. ..................

It was the rather attractive nurse at my GP's surgery who explained white coat syndrome to me : I was getting higher scores when she took my blood pressure compared to my using the public machine in the waiting room.
  • Options
    zelanazelana Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oathy, it's worth getting a BP machine that you can use at home just in case you have white coat syndrome.

I've known for years that I have it & would have been on medication I don't need if I hadn't been able to show my GP the readings I got at home.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be wary of taking any diuretic, which is often prescribed in conjunction with an angiotensin receptor blocker. I was taking 80mg Valsartan along with doxazosin, which was triggering gout attacks. I came off the doxazosin and found that my bp levels barely altered.

Valsartan worked very well for me and had few side effects (in fact it is sometimes rumoured to have slightly beneficial effects in the trouser department :-) )

Unfortunately, it seems that the world's valsartan mines have now been emptied. At first I was given 40mg tablets that were still in supply. I don't know whether I should have simply taken two in one go, but I spread the doses out and for some reason it left me feeling completely washed out - illogical, I know.

I have now been prescribed 8mg candesartan tablets which is supposed to be the equivalent dose to the valsartan and is taken once a day. They do seem to work and my bp is currently averaging at 136/80 - still a bit too high, but reasonably acceptable. The fact that my hair seems to be falling out a lot quicker since I started taking it might be just a coincidence.
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    Perhaps you have white coat syndrome. You could ask your doctor to fit you with a 24 hour blood pressure monitor and see what results that produces.

If the doctor takes my blood pressure it is high but if fitted with a 24 hour blood pressure monitor it is normal all day. Conclusion its white coat syndrome ie it stresses me out to go to the doctor. It is actually a well known syndrome

Mine used to be high when visiting the docs, regardless of who took it. Though generally normal now.

I have had BP monitors for quite a few years now and with the drugs I take the readings are usually normal. :)