DRX595 box adding a hdd is it possible?

DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
Forum Member
✭✭
Does this box have the internal connections for a hdd anywhere?
I ask this as it runs the exact same software including revision number as DRX890/895 boxes.

Comments

• sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure about the connections, but the box is smaller, so I doubt there is room for 1 inside.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I ask this as it runs the exact same software including revision number as DRX890/895 boxes.

No, it doesn't have the required hardware or capabilities.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure about the connections, but the box is smaller, so I doubt there is room for 1 inside.

I was thinking that the HDD could be connected internally, but be an external drive (obviously using a dive that would normally be used internally but put into some kind of case outside!), but if the box doesnt have the connections inside then it wouldnt be possible.

I was kind of thinking its a bit like the Humax freesat boxes that are PVRs (or have PVR capabilities), but are sold without a HDD to circumvent the duties that PVRs have!
    Those boxes are surely the same hardware inside as their proper PVRs with HDDs, but the outer box smaller, as there isnt a HDD inside.
    Forum Member
    I was kind of thinking its a bit like the Humax freesat boxes that are PVRs (or have PVR capabilities), but are sold without a HDD to circumvent the duties that PVRs have!
    Those boxes are surely the same hardware inside as their proper PVRs with HDDs, but the outer box smaller, as there isnt a HDD inside.

Why would you think that?, they are completely different - as are the Humax ones.

The Humax ones aren't PVR's with the HDD left out, they are non-PVR boxes with a crude recording ability via USB, as many TV's have now as well - they bear no resemblance to a Humax PVR (or indeed any PVR at all).
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you think that?, they are completely different - as are the Humax ones.

The Humax ones aren't PVR's with the HDD left out, they are non-PVR boxes with a crude recording ability via USB, as many TV's have now as well - they bear no resemblance to a Humax PVR (or indeed any PVR at all).
    Utter nonsense Nigel.

The Humax boxes that can have usb hard drives attached are as fully featured as their PVR counterparts with regard to features like pause live tv, rewind, series record etc.

The only difference is that they are limited to a single tuner only, which you might expect from a box that isn't predominantly sold as a recording box.
    Forum Member
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    Utter nonsense Nigel.

The Humax boxes that can have usb hard drives attached are as fully featured as their PVR counterparts with regard to features like pause live tv, rewind, series record etc.

The only difference is that they are limited to a single tuner only, which you might expect from a box that isn't predominantly sold as a recording box.

Twin tuners is a prerequisite for a PVR :D
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twin tuners is a prerequisite for a PVR :D

OK so now we are talking about the 'proper' definition of 'PVR'? instead of what it can actually do!

The Humax boxes that are sold without a HDD are enough of a PVR to most people (if they have a HDD added), even if they are not officially known as a PVR. These boxes are just like their bigger PVR cousins, but they just dont have a built in HDD (So there is a USB slot to add one instead) and they only have then one tuner.

If the DRX595 Sky boxes dont have the necessary hardware, like the scaled down Humax boxes, then yes I can see why they couldnt have a HDD added and become Sky + capable!
    I do think Sky are missing a trick with that though! They could have just said that if you want Sky + features on a DRX595 box (and you have a viewing card), that customers could buy a HDD from Sky (officially that is so they could offer support ect and unofficially people could just add their own USB HDDs but Sky could just say they dont support that option).
    Forum Member
    I do think Sky are missing a trick with that though! They could have just said that if you want Sky + features on a DRX595 box (and you have a viewing card), that customers could buy a HDD from Sky (officially that is so they could offer support ect and unofficially people could just add their own USB HDDs but Sky could just say they dont support that option).

It's just adding extra complications and support nightmares for no gain (for Sky) at all, pretty pointless thing to do.

Of FAR more use would be supporting external HDD's on the PVR's, something promised since the very first few weeks of HD - apparently it did happen for a short while on some boxes?.
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Only as far as the middleware goes - the underlying firmware is completely different with no provision whatsoever for the Sky+ PVR features and as others have said no hardware provision either. Where do you dream up these wild ideas from?