Sharing finally coming?

2»

Comments

• Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    *gets excited*

Well you wouldn't have to use it! it wouldn't effect anything with your existing planner! it will probably appear like the different categories do in the planner as it is.

Doesn't matter how it worked, it isn't launching so no point speculating. But for those wondering, it did have the ability to in essence 'hide' the contents of a box from another.
  • Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    It doesn't mean you'd want your planner shared/viewed by who uses the other box in the house.

Exactly, this was my concern. It's a great idea for those who are the only ones using their boxes, but for those like me it would be annoying.
    Doesn't matter how it worked, it isn't launching so no point speculating. But for those wondering, it did have the ability to in essence 'hide' the contents of a box from another.

I'm glad to hear it had a "hide" option. Even though you're saying it's not launching now, it's good to know that if it ever does it should have the hide option. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad to hear it had a "hide" option. Even though you're saying it's not launching now, it's good to know that if it ever does it should have the hide option. :)

Yep, it worked well but it just wasn't meant to be it seems. I'm saying this to manage people's expectations so they don't keep thinking it's "only round the corner". There are no plans to launch planner sharing, so you'll all have to hope whatever issues they ran into with the product first time round can be resolved.
  • PhiljwadePhiljwade Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would planner sharing in some way reduce the sales potential of multiroom subs? Perhaps Sky are having second thoughts if they think it might?

I know that multiroom can be to watch two things at once in two separate rooms but how often could recording one and streaming it to a second box be used as an alternative to having a multiroom sub?

Or have Sky factored this in by only offering full all channel planner sharing if you pay a multiroom sub to cover the option?

Planner sharing would give you a "box" with 4 tuners. We often struggle to avoid 3 programme recording clashes so have to resort to recording from a +1 channel in SD or attempting to find a second airing in the wee small hours or on another day. This in itself gives odd results as "New: My Show" , reverts to "My Show" even though they are both Series 7 Episode 10!! I wonder what will happen to "free" BT Sport - would you be able to share this to box 2 that is not the deisgnated box?? ;-)
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Philjwade wrote: »
    Planner sharing would give you a "box" with 4 tuners. We often struggle to avoid 3 programme recording clashes so have to resort to recording from a +1 channel in SD or attempting to find a second airing in the wee small hours or on another day. This in itself gives odd results as "New: My Show" , reverts to "My Show" even though they are both Series 7 Episode 10!! I wonder what will happen to "free" BT Sport - would you be able to share this to box 2 that is not the deisgnated box?? ;-)

I think you could as Ive heard that what it does is make all secondary boxes use the primary boxes planner and card ect and once set up if you had recordings on a second box, they dont play anymore as the box no longer recognises them.
    You would most likely have to record BT Sports on the primary box, but then be able to play on any box. At least thats how I understand it!
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I think you could as Ive heard that what it does is make all secondary boxes use the primary boxes planner and card ect and once set up if you had recordings on a second box, they dont play anymore as the box no longer recognises them.
    You would most likely have to record BT Sports on the primary box, but then be able to play on any box. At least thats how I understand it!

I doubt it, if you look at the VM version, only certain channels worked with their planner sharing, which was, I presume, down to rights issues, so I expect the Sky system, if it ever arrived, would be the same.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So basically I've got 2 boxes, both in regular use recording wise as they are used by seperate family members. If I activated Sharing, only one of the boxes would work and I'd loose the hard drive space on the other?
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically I've got 2 boxes, both in regular use recording wise as they are used by seperate family members. If I activated Sharing, only one of the boxes would work and I'd loose the hard drive space on the other?
    Surely not, I thought all it did was make it so both boxes can see each other's content.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    KesterK wrote: »
    Surely not, I thought all it did was make it so both boxes can see each other's content.

that exactly how I interpret sharing

basically i have
    a 1.5tb HDD box with 500gb on demand & 1tb for me and
    a 2tb box with 500gb on demand & 1.5tb for me.

thus giving me 2.5tb of HDD space in total once shared planers are available.

simple. this is to give non sky+multiscreen boxes use of HDD on main boxes so multiroom will be easier for Sky to handle with much less HDD related problems on networked boxes as they wont have one.
  • SMILER30SMILER30 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    I can't see planner sharing coming anytime soon or if at all, we have been told it's on the back burner now and might be shelved.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SMILER30 wrote: »
    I can't see planner sharing coming anytime soon or if at all, we have been told it's on the back burner now and might be shelved.

The fact it's in one of Sky's New EPG promos though is unusual.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact it's in one of Sky's New EPG promos though is unusual.

That functionality was available to those beta testing sharing, so Sky were presumably using a beta version of the EPG to make the promo video and didn't realise they'd left it there. Currently, the feature is disabled on everyone's boxes as there are no plans to launch such a product.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That functionality was available to those beta testing sharing, so Sky were presumably using a beta version of the EPG to make the promo video and didn't realise they'd left it there. Currently, the feature is disabled on everyone's boxes as there are no plans to launch such a product.

But the point is its there in the software just disabled as you say! Sky would have to write it out of the software for it to go completely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If there was no plans, then it's wasted code and it would be removed from the released version.

On from that, these videos would be severely checked before being released.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the point is its there in the software just disabled as you say! Sky would have to write it out of the software for it to go completely.
    If there was no plans, then it's wasted code and it would be removed from the released version.

On from that, these videos would be severely checked before being released.

Considering it's only recently been disabled and no major software versions have been released to beta testers since, it's completely reasonable for the code to still be there. As for the videos, they obviously weren't 'severely checked'.
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it doesn't come on the current boxes then it looks as though it will on the next generation in 2 years - Project Ethan - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1959151
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it doesn't come on the current boxes then it looks as though it will on the next generation in 2 years - Project Ethan - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1959151

That was my thought when I read the article the other day.
  • Renko31Renko31 Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I wonder if they have run into the same issue when using wirelessly connected boxes as the iOS App has.

When I was on TalkTalk my iOS App could see my Sky box (box is connected via ethernet, iOS is using WiFi).

When I moved to BT, the iOS App can no longer see the Sky box.

It is a known issue to do with which wireless channel the HomeHub is using apparently.

If may be that it will affect wirelessly connected Sky boxes (which is what they seem to be moving to)

Just a thought.
  • muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Renko31 wrote: »
    I wonder if they have run into the same issue when using wirelessly connected boxes as the iOS App has.

When I was on TalkTalk my iOS App could see my Sky box (box is connected via ethernet, iOS is using WiFi).

When I moved to BT, the iOS App can no longer see the Sky box.

It is a known issue to do with which wireless channel the HomeHub is using apparently.

If may be that it will affect wirelessly connected Sky boxes (which is what they seem to be moving to)

Just a thought.

I'm using the BT Homehub 5 on Infinity 2 and my Android and iOS Sky+ apps find both my Sky+HD boxes every time.
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,064
    Forum Member
    I'm using the BT Homehub 5 on Infinity 2 and my Android and iOS Sky+ apps find both my Sky+HD boxes every time.

Me too, in fact they all worked fine on the Hub 3 and Hub 4 also.
  • Renko31Renko31 Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Icaraa wrote: »
    Me too, in fact they all worked fine on the Hub 3 and Hub 4 also.

I realise that it works for some people, but it doesn't always work.

BT know about this -
    http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46134/~/my-sky%2B-app-doesn't-work-with-my-sky-box-when-connected-to-the-bt-home-hub-4

and Sky have many issues with connection problems that affect other routers as well -
    http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-App/bd-p/sky-plus-app

It was just a thought that maybe this had delayed the roll out.