and the next Games With Gold is.....

Comments

• The Special OneThe Special One Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    There's an often big mistake regarding PS+, people say it's just a rental service but Sony DO give you free games to keep even after sub ends, it's their yearly cycle ones.

So currently it's Uncharted 3, LBP Karting and XCOM: Enemy Unknown are this years free games to keep. Last years was LBP2, InFAMOUS 2 and something else.

Idownloaded Infamous 2 last year with a PS+ subscription. Im no longer subscribed and I cannot play the game now.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know what we can expect from Games with Gold in October? I have heard that Halo 3 is confirmed but I was on a US site so don't know if the same is true for Europe/UK?

Particularly interested to see what is to come from Games for Gold in it's last few months as it would help me decide whether to renew my Gold sub (it ends about end of Oct, so I'd probably get Octobers games) as I'm not getting XBone, hardly play 360 online and though I do use the Lovefilm and Now TV apps, I could just as easily use them on PC or PS3 so I don't know if another year of gold would give me much VFM TBH.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steven123 wrote: »
    Anyone know what we can expect from Games with Gold in October?.

The first game for October will be Might & Magic - Clash of Heroes.
  • ScooterwolfScooterwolf Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first game for October will be Might & Magic - Clash of Heroes.

That's a really poor offering from MS considering PS+ is giving away Far Cry 3 this week.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    That's a really poor offering from MS considering PS+ is giving away Far Cry 3 this week.

That's the difference between a rental and a genuine free gift.

Besides the game is said to be good isn't it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the difference between a rental and a genuine free gift.

Besides the game is said to be good isn't it?

valid argument, ignores the games that you get to keep on plus though

Also with both Plus and Gold being mandatory to use every feature that argument is basically dead and its becomes which service is better value
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »

Also with both Plus and Gold being mandatory to use every feature that argument is basically dead and its becomes which service is better value

Free gifts that end when the Xbox one comes out isn't it?:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    thomas2400 wrote: »

Yes and each service offers it's own perks. New digital releases (such as XBLA games and DLC) tend to be cheaper on Xbox Marketplace, likewise there's a lot of deals that have saved me more money they I've spent on a Gold sub, by quite some margin. With PS+ the best thing are the weekly rentals (with the occasional freebie thrown in) but for a gamer like me I would already own or of played most of the titles anyway. The Vita stuff is particularly good though.

This is why I don't mind obscure games like this being offered as I don't own them.
    jokerz wrote: »
    Free gifts that end when the Xbox one comes out isn't it?:rolleyes:

End of the year, I personally think it will be renewed anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On the contrary, I think it is a really good offering (just look at the reviews it gets) and it provides something a bit different to the normal guns blazing action blockbuster. Unfortunately, unless Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes on 360 offers anything above the PC version, it won't be much use to me as I already have it on Steam, but a fine offering none the less.

That's one thing I would say Games for Gold actually did better than PS Plus IMO is offering a balance of full retail games (albeit old ones) and Live Arcade games. With PS Plus they stopped offering free indie and Live Arcade style games over a year ago and just focused on full retail style games, which does grab more attention and technically gives more for the money, so I can see why they did it, but I like a mix of titles as the shorter games are good for a quick blast, which is rarely possible with the complexity of full retail games these days.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got both gold & PS+ .... Sonys offerings are 1000000x better ... You'd have 2 be completely insane (or a deluded Micro$oft fanboy) to think otherwise!!! :rolleyes: :p
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    A free game is a free game, i for one wont be complaining.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    WOW!!

Couldnt they stretch to Bankshot Billiards 2 or Marble Blast Ultra this time?
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's one thing I would say Games for Gold actually did better than PS Plus IMO is offering a balance of full retail games (albeit old ones) and Live Arcade games. With PS Plus they stopped offering free indie and Live Arcade style games over a year ago and just focused on full retail style games, which does grab more attention and technically gives more for the money, so I can see why they did it, but I like a mix of titles as the shorter games are good for a quick blast, which is rarely possible with the complexity of full retail games these days.

Next month PS+ gets The Great Giana Sisters, last month we got Stealth Inc. We have also had games like Thomas was Alone and Knytt Underground so I wouldn't say they just focus on full retail games but rather they try to offer one big headline retail game a month while still providing a mix of titles and a number of shorter games.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Halo 3 is apparently available for download now.
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Halo 3 is apparently available for download now.

Oh the memories!! I was a huge fan of Halo 1&2 so I was very excited about this and impatiently endured the most hype ever seen in gaming only to suffer my biggest disappointment of this generation!
    Halo 3 is average at best.
    Forum Member
    I personally loved Halo 3 and especially it's add-on campaign ODST, I never bothered much with multiplayer but played through the campaign a number of times. Nice that it's free but who doesn't already own it?
  • cooltvcooltv Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally loved Halo 3 and especially it's add-on campaign ODST, I never bothered much with multiplayer but played through the campaign a number of times. Nice that it's free but who doesn't already own it?

I have never owned it or played it :o I guess i'm in for a treat? :)
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's my gripe with the free games with gold. Most of them I already own :(
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Call me a cynic but that is probably why many of them have been chosen. MS must have a pretty good idea how many Xbox live users have played these games already.
    Forum Member
    cooltv wrote: »
    I have never owned it or played it :o I guess i'm in for a treat? :)

If you like FPS you certainly are. :)

I agree, the deals are entirely crap certainly for long-time 360 owners and especially in comparison to PS+ but they're not rentals and you don't have to keep paying to play them so it just means we get very old games.

Out of all the games offered so far I think only 2 of them I didn't own and they were Defence Grid and Magic 2013 (and Rainbow 6 Vegas but I didn't even bother with that lol). Dead Rising 2/Case Zero has probably been the best deal so far as less people have probably played it and it's pure quality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I already have Halo 3 so I guess at least I can put my boxed copy on eBay and make a few bob. My gold sub is ending before November but just don't feel it's worth me renewing. Was hoping I could get a good deal on a 12 month renewal but if anything the prices seem to be creeping back up again, presumably with xmas slowly approaching and the XBone coming next month.

Last time I got a good deal on a 14 month pack but these seem to be almost none existent now ): guess they figured they were giving too much away.
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dead Rising 2 is the only games I'll be keeping from the free games so far and maybe Fable.
    Played Crackdown but deleted it the minute finished. Laughable that when I went to some cheallage points in the game and it asked me to buy the dlc :rolleyes:
    I got Halo 3 bundled with my first 360 years ago. It bored me then so I wont be bothering with that now.
  • Super BanditSuper Bandit Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Halo 3 is a fantastic game. It's a shame the games are extremely old and cheap...can buy this for £2 on ebay. How about having us vote on what they feel is the best game for GWG, then give us that game instead of just throwing the dumpster games at us. Not necessarily brand new titles, but within the last 1-2 years, like Hitman: Absolution, Saints Row 3 or Halo 4?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I already have Halo 3 so I guess at least I can put my boxed copy on eBay and make a few bob. My gold sub is ending before November but just don't feel it's worth me renewing. Was hoping I could get a good deal on a 12 month renewal but if anything the prices seem to be creeping back up again, presumably with xmas slowly approaching and the XBone coming next month.

Last time I got a good deal on a 14 month pack but these seem to be almost none existent now ): guess they figured they were giving too much away.

Keep checking ShopTo, their prices for XBL Gold products seem to go up and down randomly but last month I got 12+1 months plus 3 arcade games for £28 which was a pretty good deal (even if the free arcade games looked pretty naff).
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Great news for gold members.

Looks like Microsoft are extending the games with gold promotion beyond the end of the year

http://news.xbox.com/2013/10/xbox-360-games-with-gold
    At E3 2013, we launched Games with Gold as a limited-time program to thank our Xbox Live Gold members. Within that short period of time, we’ve seen an overwhelming response, with more than 120 million hours played with Games with Gold titles. Today, as a part of the “Week of Xbox Live,” we’re excited to announce that we are making Games with Gold an ongoing benefit for Xbox Live Gold members on Xbox 360.

Whether they are blockbuster AAA or popular arcade titles, Games with Gold continues to offer a diverse mix of games with two free Xbox 360 titles a month – yours to keep and at no additional cost. According to recent surveys, 97 percent of participating members have given their stamp of approval for Games with Gold, and we’re excited to continue bringing you great games every month as part of our ongoing commitment to providing great value on Xbox 360.

Don’t forget to download “Halo 3,” called “nothing short of epic” by IGN.com and available Oct. 16-31. Stay tuned to Xbox Wire and Major Nelson’s blog for new Games with Gold titles announced each month.