Options

Was happy in 80's, wish i was back there.

ZimmieZimmie Posts: 1,244
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok i know it was not perfect, but everything seemed sunny then and you had freedom, miss those times.

Comments

• Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    And now all we have are these eye-glasses which seem to have a pinkish hue to the lenses.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zimmie wrote: »
    Ok i know it was not perfect, but everything seemed sunny then and you had freedom, miss those times.

You were a child then, or teenager?
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone says that about the time they were young. The 60s and early 70's were like it for me.
  • Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Things were great back then, A lot less worries and more fun.
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let me guess... you're in your 40s or early 50s. Am I right?

I was happy in the 80s, too, but that's because I was 15- 25 years old and didn't really have a care in the world. Well, the late eighties was when I got married/ got a mortgage/ had children, but before that life was pretty darn carefree for me.
    The seventies was even better!

I think it's all relative to what is going on in your own personal life at the time.
    The eighties weren't so great if you look at them objectively.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    the eighties were pure shite in many respects.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thatcher era. It was hell with a great soundtrack.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Agreed OP, I was in my teens and had a 24 inch waist. Brilliant music too. I cant adjust to this modern day and find everyone rude. In the 80s you could go down the pub and wouldn't have to compete with somebody texting somebody while youre trying to have a conversation with them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed OP, I was in my teens and had a 24 inch waist. Brilliant music too. I cant adjust to this modern day and find everyone rude. In the 80s you could go down the pub and wouldn't have to compete with somebody texting somebody while youre trying to have a conversation with them
    Yeah better pubs, better music, better chat, no bloody phones, more sunny,more freedom, and people more easy going.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must admit The Breeze's 'All 80's Easter' had me reminiscing a bit too!
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The late 80's/early 90's were such an idyllic time for so many reasons. Oh how I wish I could be back there again......
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Everyone says that about the time they were young. The 60s and early 70's were like it for me.

That's it. In 30 years time my kids will be moaning saying things like "Aw, wish we could go back to the twenty-tens, when we had simple stuff like ipads, XBoxes and actual cash, instead of these cranial-cyber-implants and virtual credits"
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah better pubs, better music, better chat, no bloody phones, more sunny,more freedom, and people more easy going.
    Bollocks. It was a time of selfishness, greed, snobbery, bigotry and crime was higher. And how was it sunnier? The weather was the same as it always was.:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bollocks. It was a time of selfishness, greed, snobbery, bigotry and crime was higher. And how was it sunnier? The weather was the same as it always was.:confused:
    For a small minority at the top, but you cannot dismiss a entire decade because of them.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »

It's almost like the ruling governments since then have been better.
    For a small minority at the top, but you cannot dismiss a entire decade because of them.

No you can't, but said poster has just done that haven't they.

There's always one (or more). : rolleyes :
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was for a small minority at the top? The 80's firstly was a terrible time for equality with race riots and bigotry against homosexuals with Thatcher's section 28.
    Then there was the weird snobbery that existed. Sure people may still want flash things but nowadays people will always look at ways of getting those items as cheap as possible. In the 80's there was this snobbery about buying things in certain shops. You was somehow supposed to buy the exact same item in a shop that charged more.
    As for dismissing the 80's, isn't that what you are doing with the current period?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was born at the end of the 80s, so I don't really have much of a memory of them. The 00s are where most of my memories are at.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was for a small minority at the top? The 80's firstly was a terrible time for equality with race riots and bigotry against homosexuals with Thatcher's section 28.
    Then there was the weird snobbery that existed. Sure people may still want flash things but nowadays people will always look at ways of getting those items as cheap as possible. In the 80's there was this snobbery about buying things in certain shops. You was somehow supposed to buy the exact same item in a shop that charged more.
    As for dismissing the 80's, isn't that what you are doing with the current period?
    I am not saying the 80's were great in big scheme of things, i am only saying i had happy memories personally and wish i was back there.
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What's this "freedom" you're talking about that we had then but, apparently, don't have now?
    I doubt if gay people would agree with that statement.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 7 when the eighties started and 17 when they finished. I admit I do get all nostalgic for the eighties, I loved the music and 1989 was one of the best years of my life. There was a long, hot summer that year. I was young and slim and didn't have a care in the world.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I am not saying the 80's were great in big scheme of things, i am only saying i had happy memories personally and wish i was back there.

Were you a child in the 80s? I am sure most of us have fond memories of being a child. I think they become distorted over time though, usually in their favour. If you were to go back you might find things were different from what you remember. Some things are better left in memory.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bollocks. It was a time of selfishness, greed, snobbery, bigotry and crime was higher. And how was it sunnier? The weather was the same as it always was.:confused:[/Q

So in the 80s you must have been in prison then. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a great 80s. Promoted twice and moved house twice. Had a great social life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Were you a child in the 80s? I am sure most of us have fond memories of being a child. I think they become distorted over time though, usually in their favour. If you were to go back you might find things were different from what you remember. Some things are better left in memory.

Nope, cars were better, nobody was reliant on hand held devices to run their lives. Kids weren't so spoilt. Simple times, people were nicer too, maybe cause they had old school fathers
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,317
    Forum Member
    the eighties were pure shite in many respects.
    CLL Dodge wrote: »

Yep. End thread.