Broadchurch - ITV Drama Series

Comments

• SuddenEliteSuddenElite Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Andy-B wrote: »

We have already had local media digging up the distant past on one resident - which will surely come to be seen as (a) a great waste of police time and (b) destroying someone who has contributed greatly to his community since arriving.

So I wonder if self-interested media hindering the investigation will also be a theme (the main media themes being destroying the family, as well as much of the sense of community).

Apart from being a plot device to "out" Jack as a paedophile and move the story on, I can't see what other reason there is for the local journalist to have approached him like he did last night. Again, plot device to see the reporter provoke Jack into a "violent" reaction which was witnessed?

I'm an ex-newspaper (very local!) editor in Greater Manchester and if we had a story like this on patch there is very little, infact nothing, we could do with the info. Especially in the context of a murder inquiry. Running anything would be both not contemporaneous, a key factor in court reporting, and also hugely prejudicial.

Also, the amount of times I've seen people named incorrectly in photograph captions... If I had a quid for every time it happened I wouldn't be in Leeds right now!

I don't like the way the media are coming across in this show. Its inaccurate writing but only TV I suppose!
  • AmethyztAmethyzt Posts: 4,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    If Tom did kill Danny or witness the murder he would have deleted the messages before Ellie told him. He only did it when he found out Danny was dead.

And if Tom killed Danny ( I dont think he did but you never know ) then there has to be others involved, as no way could he have put the body into the boat and then onto the beach
  • AmethyztAmethyzt Posts: 4,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's also a possibility that Tom was the intended victim and not Danny.

Very good theory...........and, if that proves to be the case, that might be a reason why Ellie was allowed (by the writer ) to stay on the case, when as many have said, she really wouldnt be able to work on it, due to close connections.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abewest wrote: »
    Or he's dead? ;)

This is all too Ashes to Ashes for me
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amethyzt wrote: »
    Ah.......yes....... now you've said that, I am remembering the convo ........
    So ........ that would mean Jack has been there at least 11 years
    Which would mean his time with Susan ( or Elaine as she was back then ) and that photo with the Sea Cadets - in another town ? - is at least 12 years ago...

Bet you it was in Whitby 15 years back.
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think she had anything to do with Danny being murdered, just that she is a bit of a head-the-ball who has the need to be fancied by everyone with a p***s.
    That's what I thought, but I think she may end up finding something out by accident.
    Anyone know what is wrong with the detective. , I know he is dying, and he wants to close and solve the case before he dies..
    I don't think he's dying, I think he has a permanent condition and doesn't want people finding out because they won't trust him to do his job.

I don't think it's a child abuse ring like people are saying, because in the first episode when they found the body, they said it wasn't a sexual assault. I still think the weird cleaning lady did it to cover up something else TBH.
  • CubicEyesCubicEyes Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Bet you it was in Whitby 15 years back.

No, if you pause ITV Player about 14 minutes into this episode, you can see that the article the editor is looking at is all about the Broadchurch Sea Brigade, actually features Danny Latimer at the front of the picture, and calls the Pauline Quirke character 'Rip Ride promoter Elaine Jones'. So the photo isn't very old at all. And presumably the Rip Ride is what Susan/Elaine is still selling tickets for when the editor goes and tackles her on the harbourside about her change of name.
  • minkskiminkski Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    Abewest wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything supernatural going on, either (I'm just hedging my bets :)), it's all probably just analogous to the good and evil struggle.

I taped it, so I'll need to look again to see if Quirke was in the church, but I can't recall seeing her.

It was coincidence that she was just passing by at that time, but the devil or his messenger would be inclined to contrive such a coincidence anyway. ;)

The bald plumber and her have more to reveal, agree with that. Let's hope it's not a big let down, because as you say it did sound pretty intriguing.

Psychic telephone guy seems to have wandered in from another drama on another channel, and somehow became lost on the Broadchurch set. I keep thinking Tennant's one time gonna say to him: they're all looking for you on Medium, wondering where you've got to.

*waves at RP*

She had just come from threatening newspaper boss lady, so I was surprised that she shouted a hello to the lead detective who she has been keen to get rid of all series ;)
    Thanks for the list SolarSail.

I'm going out on a limb here. I think the £500 could have been Tom's and it was Tom who asked Danny to look after it for him.

There's also a possibility that Tom was the intended victim and not Danny.

I wonder if the boys had been blackmailing someone, and Danny had been on his way for another pay out when he was killed.
  • CasmanaCasmana Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep going back to the positioning of Danny's body .Noted that he had been placed like that , maybe by a person with a religious belief . Showing respect for the dead ? Like facing East?
    Forum Member
    Oh, and for the Pauline Quirke's Character is One of the Evil Dead theorists - nope, sorry, she's one of the congregation clearly visible inside the church in episode 2, on the first Sunday after the murder. Susan/Elaine may not be a very nice lady, and may claim to have even nastier friends, but she's no vampire!
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the pace has picked up a bit in the latest episode. I agree with others here that while Pauline Quirke's character (Elaine / Susan) seems to be a nasty piece of work she's almost certainly not the killer. She's obviously got some skeleton in her closet that she doesn't want the press or anyone else to know about though.

And I'm really enjoying it now except I'm getting quite frustrated at how little the police have got from Danny's computer etc. The police these days are all over the social media - remember the girl who was murdered recently in Birmingham? Within a day or two the media was reporting that she had posted messages on Facebook about a weirdo on the bus. Almost any child's social life is plastered all over the net these days. You don't even need to be in possession of the victim's phone or computer - messages and internet posts are logged remotely, so even if you delete them from your device (like Danny's mate did) they can still be read.
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member

I don't like the way the media are coming across in this show. Its inaccurate writing but only TV I suppose!

You must be over the moon with the last couple of years, then.

The more I reflect on it, the more I think the death and associated story arcs will become secondary to the dominant theme of media, perhaps esp. media interference (in police inquiries), intrusion (into personal lives), and how those in combination affect the course of a police investigation (for self-interested reasons).

So, maybe versions of something like the Christopher Jefferies nonsense in Bristol, tabloids offering rewards, requiring exclusives in return for not reporting personal stuff, etc. All the usual tablois press delights.

Sorry ;)
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CubicEyes wrote: »
    No, if you pause ITV Player about 14 minutes into this episode, you can see that the article the editor is looking at is all about the Broadchurch Sea Brigade, actually features Danny Latimer at the front of the picture, and calls the Pauline Quirke character 'Rip Ride promoter Elaine Jones'. So the photo isn't very old at all. And presumably the Rip Ride is what Susan/Elaine is still selling tickets for when the editor goes and tackles her on the harbourside about her change of name.
    Then what's the point in changing her name? You can make it work if you move to a new town where no-one knows you but it's still a risk. As a prominent person who very publicly sells and sold tickets for boat rides under (I think) both names, has had her picture in the local paper under her previous name and is associated with the Sea Cadets, she can't expect not to be remembered or associated with her previous name.

So assuming it's a well-thought-out story and the character isn't daft, she must have a credible reason but I can't think what is.

Maybe she reverted to her real name after someone she used to be avoiding (say, a violent ex-husband) is no longer a threat. But then why would she threaten anyone who reminded her of her old name?
    Forum Member
    Oh, and for the Pauline Quirke's Character is One of the Evil Dead theorists - nope, sorry, she's one of the congregation clearly visible inside the church in episode 2, on the first Sunday after the murder. Susan/Elaine may not be a very nice lady, and may claim to have even nastier friends, but she's no vampire!

Another rather unexpected member of that same small Episode 2 congregation is plumber's mate Nige - unless my eyes are deceiving me, as he and Ellie's husband Joe do look quite a bit alike from a distance, and the character here isn't in sharp focus. But assuming that is indeed Nige, I have to say that his character doesn't come across like someone who'd normally be one of the faithful flock.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Killary45 wrote: »
    I expect that when we find out who did it we will all be disappointed. This could be like one of those trips where you enjoy the journey very much up to and until you reach the destination.

I'll enjoy it wherever it goes, I'm just letting it all unfold in front of me and not speculating.
    Did do some furious skim reading trying to filter out the various theories for plot points I might have missed that might become important later.
    Given up skimming now, come back next week after it's aired, see what turns up on the thread.
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alison Graham is a critic for the radio times and a very critical critic she is for sure. Writing about next weeks Broadchurch, she says"Its a superb episode in simply the best TV drama to come our way in a long long time, and it echoes with profound sadness".
  • ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something about the young reporter suddenly finding out information about Jack the Newsagent didnt ring quite true. Tom also seemed weary of Jack for some reason when he entered the house near the end so maybe Tom and Danny already knew about Jack and were blackmailing him for money which might account for the money found underneath Danny's bed. Probably wont prove true but I am enjoying all the possible theories.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member
    My tv schedule tells me this on at 8pm next week :confused: I think maybe because of the football :mad:
  • square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    My tv schedule tells me this on at 8pm next week :confused: I think maybe because of the football :mad:

Nah, normal time.
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »

Is that a quirk of the change to British Summer Time?

Can't come soon enough in my opinion - I am fed up with all this snow.
  • Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am hanging in there, but reading reviews (here and elsewhere) - not sure if I am watching a different programme.

Finding the practical side of the police investigation more and more baffling - and no I am not an expert! But interviews seem to be conducted on park benches - obvious clues are being ignored. Seriously - an 11 year old murder victim has £500 hidden in his room? That must be a very well paid newspaper round.

And who owns the burning boat? Enjoying the cast and the excellent acting, but getting frustrated by the logic behind it all. I guess I was spoilt by The Killing and Wallender.
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amethyzt wrote: »
    That makes sense, if they were elsewhere , running the sea scouts and she was called Elaine at that time.
    Didnt Jack say he had only been in Broadchurch 5 years or so ?
    There has only been one scene between them, far as I remember, when Susan goes into the newsagents just as the national news reporter is leaving, after being unable to persuade Jack to give her any info.
    Will have to see if can re watch that bit for clues !

I'd forgotten that scene - worth another viewing to see if there were any meaningful looks exchanged......
  • miavivmiaviv Posts: 3,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Pauline Quirke's character and Nige are related, I'm guessing she's his Mum and she gave him up for adoption but has traced him and he wants nothing to do with her - hence the conversation they had together. Just a guess. Still think the vicar is the murderer though.
    Forum Member

And that being so, a fleeting thought which occurs to me is that (power?) boat rides probably devour rather a lot of fuel. Which tends to come expensive. And we saw a local farmer who'd had (£500-worth?) of fuel stolen from his tractor, right back at the start of the series. And Danny had £500 hidden under his bed....... so could these factors all have come together to play a part in the events which unfolded? Not necessarily as the direct cause of Danny's death, but as part of the pattern of events which led up to it......?

Also still wondering about the postman. Or 'postman', for that matter; there was definitely no sign of a delivery bag in the scene we were shown of the encounter which Jack claimed to have seen between the postman and Danny, and the red van in that scene was unmarked. So was there really any such encounter, and if there was, was it between Danny and a postman, or somebody else? And if Jack lied about either the scene's existence or the detaIls of it such as the postbag, why?
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    minkski wrote: »
    *waves at RP*

She had just come from threatening newspaper boss lady, so I was surprised that she shouted a hello to the lead detective who she has been keen to get rid of all series ;)

I wonder if the boys had been blackmailing someone, and Danny had been on his way for another pay out when he was killed.

Hiya minkski *waves back* :)

Perhaps Susan's got a dual personality. I was shocked to see her smiling this week. :D

I'm finding it hard to tell what the boys were up to....
    I did however, have another look at the scene with Danny and the 'postman' - the one where the 'postman's' wearing the visibility jacket.
    It seemed as though he was trying to stop Danny from getting past him - to stop him doing or going somewhere, possibly? ....and another thing, the 'postman' didn't resemble the one the police questioned.
    From that distance, he looked like Danny's dad.
This discussion has been closed.