Options

Clara/Tardis relationship clear up

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok. I keep seeing references to this but to my understanding the reason the Tardis doesn't like Clara because of the whole Doctor's timeline thing. In going into the Doctor's timeline to fix everything she made herself impossible which the Tardis doesn't like. Or am I just a mad man in a box that doesn't know what he's talking about? :cool: :p;)

PS no personal comments please the last statement is intended to be humorous and nothing more :D

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    It's not only the quality of being "impossible", this dislike is somewhat personal, as in Hide the Tardis openly suggests Clara is a bit narcissistic: "I'm programmed to select the image of a person you esteem. Of several billion such images in my databanks, this one best meets the criterion."

Someone suggested that could be simply Steven Moffat's red herring suggesting Clara is a trap, if not, maybe the Tardis wants to exclude Clara from the Doctor's life as River is "the child of the Tardis". Or maybe River herself ends up being uploaded from the Library into the Tardis?

Or... that's simply a mystery which is yet to be explained :)
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I think the TARDIS is jealous of the Doctor's growing attraction/fascination for Clara.Current Clara wasn't impossible at the time, just a normal girl. If the TARDIS had any idea what was to happen I don't think she'd have been so adversarial towards the girl who sacrificed herself to save the Doctor.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok. I keep seeing references to this but to my understanding the reason the Tardis doesn't like Clara because of the whole Doctor's timeline thing. In going into the Doctor's timeline to fix everything she made herself impossible which the Tardis doesn't like. Or am I just a mad man in a box that doesn't know what he's talking about? :cool: :p;)

PS no personal comments please the last statement is intended to be humorous and nothing more :D

I thought you understood everything that had happened in Moff's era? :confused:

(Only kidding.;) :D)
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I'm programmed to select the image of a person you esteem. Of several billion such images in my databanks, this one best meets the criterion."

:)

Just occurred to me that there may be images of several million Claras in the TARDIS databanks.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Maybe the TARDIS resents Clara always being around? Or that she's so important in the Doctor's life? Or that she's an even more complex space-time event than the Doctor himself? Or she reminds it about the Doctor's mortality? Or she's responsible for the Doctor's death in the near future?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought you understood everything that had happened in Moff's era? :confused:

(Only kidding.;) :D)

Need that strength I asked for! :D hehe
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember exactly what Clara said to the First Doctor, but maybe the Tardis took offence?
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't remember exactly what Clara said to the First Doctor, but maybe the Tardis took offence?

'Navigation system's knackered', as I recall.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    Just occurred to me that there may be images of several million Claras in the TARDIS databanks.

And billions of images of people Clara has met and esteems. Yet the Tardis says the person who meets the criteria best is still Clara... It's even meaner than I previously thought ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    This is an interesting topic! So my question at a tangent to it is this: if we accept that the Tardis has feelings, even a will of her own, is she capable of irrational thought as well as rational?

I mean, neither the Doctor nor other Time Lords have acted according to 'logic' in the quasi-Vulcan sense, so is it reasonable to assume that Time Lord technology's consciousness is equally fallible?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen Hide twice and I didn't hear the Tardis say the bit about high esteem what a cow lol. I think it's because of what she said to the first doctor she must be a bit touchy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I still haven't ruled out the possibility that the TARDIS is Clara. Maybe it became sentient because an echo of Clara quantum-leaped into it from the start. That explains why the TARDIS said that it had chosen the Doctor initially because what we saw was a holographic projection of itself (i.e. Clara) persuading the Doctor to steal it!
  • Options
    MediaMattersMediaMatters Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    :) I wonder if the fact that there are copies of Clara scattered along the Doc's timeline could scramble or confuse its circuits? :eek: Can't get a handle on her actual footprint... :confused:
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Thrombin wrote: »
    I still haven't ruled out the possibility that the TARDIS is Clara. Maybe it became sentient because an echo of Clara quantum-leaped into it from the start. That explains why the TARDIS said that it had chosen the Doctor initially because what we saw was a holographic projection of itself (i.e. Clara) persuading the Doctor to steal it!

Well, three things would seem to point away from that. First - they've done that before. Second - there's been plenty of dialogue to persuade us that Clara is just a normal human girl, albeit one that has been put through some amazing things. And thirdly, the TARDIS seems to dislike Clara on a personal level, rather that just because she's paradoxical. Why would the TARDIS actually dislike itself?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, three things would seem to point away from that. First - they've done that before. Second - there's been plenty of dialogue to persuade us that Clara is just a normal human girl, albeit one that has been put through some amazing things. And thirdly, the TARDIS seems to dislike Clara on a personal level, rather that just because she's paradoxical. Why would the TARDIS actually dislike itself?

Well, I admit it's only a theory and very likely wrong but I thought I'd mention it, just in case i get to say I told you so later :D

I'm not sure I understand your objections, though?

First - not sure what previous occasion you are referring to?
    Second - Clara was a normal girl who got fragmented into echoes of herself and sent back through time. I'm saying one of the echoes that got sent back through time, became the sentience inside the TARDIS. That doesn't stop our Clara being a normal girl.
    Third - The TARDIS may have forgotten her origins and not realised that she was, in fact, Clara :)
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If the Tardis could speak and she has done as in The Doctor's Wife, would she say

"Oh Mr Clever, (the strange Doctor in Nightmare In Silver) meet Miss Clever "says The Tardis(Clara, which one, you decide:D)
    "Charmed, I'm sure" replies Mr Clever
    "Yes, of course, impossible" answers Clara.

:D