Options

New Hawaii Five O (Sky One)

Comments

• Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    It really did look quite stunning in HD didn't it! Probably the best picture quality i've seen on Sky1HD for months.

I agree I thought it looked stunning and unlike CSI Miami or Dexter, it didn't look overly yellow/orangey.

PJ
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    If one of the terrestrial channels was going to pick it up I’d say it would definitely be Five, but I suspect Sky might have the full rights and are going to keep it exclusive. I think they’ve done the same with NCIS:LA as given the success NCIS is on Five I’d be surprised if they wouldn’t want to air the LA version given the chance.

IIRC, the rights were originally bought by Virgin for showing on Bravo and would have transferred to Sky when they bought VM's group of channels.

A lot of shows that were on Bravo and Living ended up at some point on Virgin One so must have included terrestrial rights when the shows were purchased which makes me guess that Sky will most likely have any terrestrial rights.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Are you kidding?! Yeah it was a bit violent but no more so that the likes of 24 and Prison Break, both of which have been on primetime terrestrial television

I can't believe that people have actually found this overly violent. I'd love to see the faces of these sensitive people if they were to see one of Jack Bauer's torture scenes on 24, lol. It was no more violent than any other US network TV shows, and most of it was relatively bloodless. I mean, yeah, it'd have to be on a terrestrial UK channel after 9pm, but it certainly wouldn't need cutting...:confused:
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was reading something earlier (no spoilers) that seemed to indicate it's a near certainty to be renewed for a 2nd Season as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didnt find the first two episodes overly violent I thought they were appropriate to the concept of the show and the storylines. Plus theres some funny references in the show.
  • Options
    semimintedsemiminted Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great opener.......
    9/10
    Didn't take itself too seriously and the theme tune ...well ......

And a good sprinkle of humour, I laughed out loud a few times....
  • Options
    NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    DarthFader wrote: »
    I agree I thought it looked stunning and unlike CSI Miami or Dexter, it didn't look overly yellow/orangey.

PJ

Although they do still look stunning, they almost look processed in a Photography HDR sense. Perhaps it is the glare off H's shades :cool:
  • Options
    NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    I can't believe that people have actually found this overly violent. I'd love to see the faces of these sensitive people if they were to see one of Jack Bauer's torture scenes on 24, lol. It was no more violent than any other US network TV shows, and most of it was relatively bloodless. I mean, yeah, it'd have to be on a terrestrial UK channel after 9pm, but it certainly wouldn't need cutting...:confused:

s'no worse than Tom and Jerry, or Pokemon :rolleyes:
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,701
    Forum Member
    seen worse without a doubt , even the wife liked it !!! :D

Can't blame her, and there may be a couple of reasons for that ....... one certainly being that McGarrett's son is very easy on the eye. ;)

Like the way the two leads have such differing characters ..... works for me anyway. :cool:
  • Options
    mia75mia75 Posts: 9,352
    Forum Member
    I really loved it.
    Thought the 2 leads had great chemistry, and always love the back and forth banter in these sorts of shows.
  • Options
    AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aerick, you are so lucky! I'd love to live on Oahu where the beaches are plentiful and the lifestyle is so laid back.Hawaii really is paradise :D

I stayed at the Makaha Valley Plantation and it was a great base from which to explore the beautiful beaches and historic places.I liked Honolulu itself and Waikiki is a must-see even if it's just to say that you've been there :)

AliU2: I'm glad you enjoyed it. Makaha is beautiful area and not heavily populated. I think parts of that area were featured in episode 6 "Ko'olauloa". That's the episode with the beautiful and touching ending.

Does your name mean you are a fan of U2? I saw them 3 years ago when they played here at Aloha Stadium.

and I was kidding about saying I asked British citizens whether they know the Queen. You have to be a regular reader of the General forum section to understand why I wrote that one ;)
  • Options
    AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My best friend, who is from San Francisco, saw U2 at their last concert at Aloha Stadium.We drove past it a few times when we all visited Oahu together last November.

BTW, when people found out that I was English all they could talk about was the Royal wedding of William & Kate & most of those who mentioned it were men.I thought that was funny :D
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first impression (I only watched the first episode - I had other, better, things to do later) was that it had a HUGE body count. Ludicrously high, so high that it reduced the "believability" of the show greatly, considering someone said that the population of the island was "only 1 milion, so all the bad guys know all the good guys". That's 1/3rd the population of Wales :eek:
    So to casually kill off a dozen or so people every episode means they'll run out of baddies in a week or two. After all, in a million people (even americans, even though hawaii has an enemployed underclass) there aren't that high a proportion of criminals - or others who need killing off. It just seems like a cheap and lazy way to inject some bogus tension into a programme. One that is less and less effective as we've all become hardened to mass killings and gore-fests.
    It's not a sensitivity issue - it's a credibility one.
  • Options
    Sem1Sem1 Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    My first impression (I only watched the first episode - I had other, better, things to do later) was that it had a HUGE body count. Ludicrously high, so high that it reduced the "believability" of the show greatly, considering someone said that the population of the island was "only 1 milion, so all the bad guys know all the good guys". That's 1/3rd the population of Wales :eek:
    So to casually kill off a dozen or so people every episode means they'll run out of baddies in a week or two. After all, in a million people (even americans, even though hawaii has an enemployed underclass) there aren't that high a proportion of criminals - or others who need killing off. It just seems like a cheap and lazy way to inject some bogus tension into a programme. One that is less and less effective as we've all become hardened to mass killings and gore-fests.
    It's not a sensitivity issue - it's a credibility one.

Are you talking about the very beginning when they are in convoy - 'cos they were in Korea in that part of the story and the dead people were US soldiers (who probably came from all over the USA).

I enjoyed it, laughed at some of the back and forth between the 2 main characters. Scenery made me want to visit and the surfing made me want to give it a whirl. :)
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sem1 wrote: »
    Are you talking about the very beginning when they are in convoy - 'cos they were in Korea in that part of the story and the dead people were US soldiers (who probably came from all over the USA)
    Yes, I appreciate that (and forgave them the rather simplistic introduction: oooh look, he's special forces - that must mean he's a modern day superhero, not just a plain old cop). I wasn't counting, but there was a big shoot-out at the docks/ship and at the people-smugglers house, too. Maybe "a dozen or so" was exaggeration, but two major incidents on such a small island in a single episode (maybe even the same day?) is just silly.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the USA has around a 300 million population and estimates 7 million people behind bars, on probation or on parole. That gives a very rough estimate of the "criminal population" of 2.3%.

So if we carry that over to Hawaii's one million people would give us 23,333 criminals. So even if they kill a dozen a week they can manage 1,944 shows (or eight 22-episode series). :p

Also that would be ignoring "non-resident" criminals, wasn't Spike a visiting international terrorist? So he wouldn't appear on the census. :D

On the whole I didn't find it more violent than say NCIS or even some CSIs. Though I'll admit to a "Blimey!" when they took one goon out with a truck.
  • Options
    REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is violent but it is so unrealistic that it detracts from the story which I have already forgotton. I always remember Jack Lord in one of the early episodes when trying to find a villain (black as well) hiding in a sugar field said to "Burn it". That had more power than anything in this. Also the first series of any american show is always overly violent, the original being no different, but they usually tone it down. As I said before they had to keep one person alive so Danno could "Book em" a phrase not used that often in the first two series of the original as I remember. The original also had many GI stories about being ripped off while on R&R in Hawaii.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was reading something earlier (no spoilers) that seemed to indicate it's a near certainty to be renewed for a 2nd Season as well.

The ratings are very good in the US, i'd say a second season is almost a sure thing.

CBS seem to have so many hits on their network right now, all three CSIs, NCIS, NCIS:LA, Two and a Half Men (and the other successful sitcoms right now like Mike and Molly, Big Bang, How i Met Your Mother) and now this!
  • Options
    HDCriticalFanHDCriticalFan Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the way, for those of you with Sky+ Anytime the first two episodes are now available on demand in HD on you Sky+ box.

For those of you with Anytime, the first two eps are indeed available sans DOG and sans ad breaks on Anytime in HD.

If you have Anytime+ (and I don't) then I believe that you can only call up "on demand" material which is SD.

And if I'm wrong about this I would appreciate a correction. Thanks.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Great action and Grace Park, made up for a Wafer Thin Plot
    I loved it:)

'Pineapple infested Hellhole'

:cool:
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those of you with Anytime, the first two eps are indeed available sans DOG and sans ad breaks on Anytime in HD.

If you have Anytime+ (and I don't) then I believe that you can only call up "on demand" material which is SD.

And if I'm wrong about this I would appreciate a correction. Thanks.

You rang? :)

Actually the episodes are available in HD on Anytime+.

Without getting too technical - the full 'pull' library of programmes are downloaded via the broadband line and are in SD, but a 'showcase' of 'push' programmes are downloaded via the dish and are in HD.
    Hawaii Five-0 is in the showcase HD section.

The only annoying thing about this is that if you don't have the HD package (like me) you can't watch it on Anytime+ at all. I'd love for a SD version to be downloadable too but thats not the case right now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually the episodes are available in HD on Anytime+.

Without getting too technical - the full 'pull' library of programmes are downloaded via the broadband line and are in SD, but a 'showcase' of 'push' programmes are downloaded via the dish and are in HD.
    Hawaii Five-0 is in the showcase HD section.

Er, well isn't that just Anytime (no "+") then :eek:

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but the "showcase" part of Anytime+ is simply good old Anytime (available to all Sky+ boxes, you don't need a broadband connection).
    if you don't have the HD package (like me) you can't watch it on Anytime+ at all. I'd love for a SD version to be downloadable too but thats not the case right now.

There are two drawbacks to the otherwise excellent Anytime service.

One (the big one) is that it forces HD material to HD boxes ... even if you aren't an HD subscriber. So you can't watch them !

The other is "controllability". You can't simply opt out of individual genres. So I find that I am getting kids stuff and sports shows when I would rather that I got more drama.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilPost wrote: »
    [Re Grace Park] Until the penny driopped, an I realised it was Boomer ;), I though she was some borderline schoolie hottie.

Can you believe that she is 37 years old next month ?

Yes, that's right, she's pushing 40 ... yet seems to inhabit the body of a teenage girl. That can't be right.

Someone should take her out for a decent meal.

I thought that she looked emaciated and had that horrible look of a lollipop - with her head too big for her body. She looked great in BSG (and is a fabulous actress) but you have to wonder about her mental state if she has starved herself like that for the last twenty years :(
  • Options
    justpootlingjustpootling Posts: 3,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen the first three episodes. While being flashy, slick and well produced, it suffers from all the same problems that now dog US TV dramas which are scheduled for 60 minutes. You get 41 minutes of program, 19 minutes of commercials.

The result of this is wafer thin to non existent story, very little characterisation past the main characters, and a screenplay that just jumps straight from one action scene to the next without anything inbetween to link the two.

I don't like it anymore or less than Human Target when I started on that a year ago, and I soon got tired of watching that and gave up on it. But at least 5-0 is nice to watch during the bleak British winter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed it, will watch again. Pity the Sky continuity monkey talked all over the iconic theme music at the end though.

This. Soooo annoying. :mad: