Brendan Brady (Emmett J. Scanlan) Fan Thread! (Part 93)

Comments

• Ready Steady GoReady Steady Go Posts: 39,592
    Forum Member
    Hi, FarmGirl!
    Oh not you too... :sleep:

;)

You know I love my John Paul :D
  • Radio.GagaRadio.Gaga Posts: 14,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh Ayla that was lovelehh :D

Nice little read before bed, that was.
    Forum Member
    Radio.Gaga wrote: »

Perfect thing to prepare us for tomorrow.
  • LemonadeManLemonadeMan Posts: 81,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ayla_89 wrote: »
    Thank yer :o Which moment, may I ask? I used a few bits from The List.

Disnehh moment and tummehh patting for me. :o
    So agree with this. This is why I think the storyline and both characters worked best in 2010. Brendan had other storylines going on, and interacted with different characters. But there was always him and Ste at the heart of it. I hated that during the Silas plot, they seemed to be unable to run both stories together.

Yes, it was a real problem towards the end of last year. Very odd. Like characters could only do one plot at a time.
    You know I love my John Paul :D

*spits*
  • cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    So agree with this. This is why I think the storyline and both characters worked best in 2010. Brendan had other storylines going on, and interacted with different characters. But there was always him and Ste at the heart of it. I hated that during the Silas plot, they seemed to be unable to run both stories together.

God yes. That was a mega-disappointment. I really thought they were burying the whole thing back then, it was just so obvious that suddenly, they never mentioned each other, let alone shared a scene. :(

And like you say, so different from when he used to be juggling Ste, Warren, Doug, Rae, Danny etc etc, and keeping all the balls in the air, so to speak. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And then he tries to get the deli for himself. The double crossing twerp. :p;)

The rascal. :cool:
    Could he not tempt yer with his bum? :(

No. :(

I can't stay too mad, Tony's part of how Ste and Brendan first met. ;)

BIB: Brilliant point.

I really hated the way Ste and Declan were pushed aside for the Silas stuff.
    Forum Member

Yes, it was a real problem towards the end of last year. Very odd. Like characters could only do one plot at a time.

Continuity has always been the show's problem. Maybe it wouldn't matter too much with other characters, but from the start, Brendan's been obsessed with Ste. I don't buy for a second that he'd just ignore him for months on end.
    God yes. That was a mega-disappointment. I really thought they were burying the whole thing back then, it was just so obvious that suddenly, they never mentioned each other, let alone shared a scene. :(

And like you say, so different from when he used to be juggling Ste, Warren, Doug, Rae, Danny etc etc, and keeping all the balls in the air, so to speak. :cool:

It was a difficult time for anyone who ships them. I love that bad ass side to Brendan, but I was so hoping that they'd remember the other parts of him that make him who he is, and of course that includes his love for Ste.

I loved his interactions with all those characters. They were all interwoven and connected somehow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

*titters*

I think it maybe shows the difference between PM and those who followed him. PM is a tv veteran in soap terms, he'd just, naturally, be that bit more capable to immediately gasp pacing and be able to juggle multiple storylines with ease.

Whereas this must all be pretty new to ES.
    x-Maya-x wrote: »
    No. :(

Oh look at that, you're forgiving him already.

You'll always come back to him, won't you?! :mad:
    Forum Member

If Tony hadn't fired him over the vol-au-vents, he'd never have had to ask Brendan what positions he had, would he? ;)

Though something tells me Brendan would just have ended up hanging round Gnosh ordering a lot of coffees. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BIB: Oh, that was a hard, hard time. :o

I feel sometimes that we're only just coming out the other side of that. Granted, the stuff with Ash was so much about Ste, but he was underwritten so badly it sort of ruined it.
  • Radio.GagaRadio.Gaga Posts: 14,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. It was like 'Yeah, I'm Gay. Now go home so I can piss of the local serial killer and go to prison. Ste who?' kind of thing.

Then Ste wasn't mentioned in a single Brendan scene for 3 bloody months :mad:
    Forum Member
    Would it have killed them for Cheryl or Lynsey to bring up Ste in prison?

Thanks!

Same. Brendan's involvement with both of them are part of what makes him so interesting to me. They built up his relationship with his kids so well before we ever even saw them on screen, showing that they are his weak points (or arguably his strengths), the things he loves. Ste's the same.
    *spits*

Remember your Mitzeee posts, you. Came back to bite you ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh look at that, you're forgiving him already.

You'll always come back to him, won't you?! :mad:

Maaaaaybe. :o
    If Tony hadn't fired him over the vol-au-vents, he'd never have had to ask Brendan what positions he had, would he? ;)

Though something tells me Brendan would just have ended up hanging round Gnosh ordering a lot of coffees. :cool:

Exactly, C&S. :cool:

And yes, I do like to think Brendan would have sniffed him out anyway. ;)

Ooh, I've got such an urge to watch their first meeting now. :o
  • Ayla_89Ayla_89 Posts: 39,663
    Forum Member

Thank you :o:)
    Perfect thing to prepare us for tomorrow.

Ha! I don't think we'll be getting owt like it though somehow ;)
    Disnehh moment and tummehh patting for me. :o

Hehe oh yes :p I should have made Ste purr but those not accustomed to The List may have been alarmed ;)

Alrighty I'm off, until tomorrow lovelies! (meep)
    Forum Member
    I think it maybe shows the difference between PM and those who followed him. PM is a tv veteran in soap terms, he'd just, naturally, be that bit more capable to immediately gasp pacing and be able to juggle multiple storylines with ease.

Whereas this must all be pretty new to ES.

PM was brilliant at it. I know he f*cked up with the fire, but right from the start, the interactions were brilliant and natural and sparky. Every interaction Brendan had was gold, right through to the Britzeee stuff. The club was amazing.

I'm a bit in awe of PM still really. He just knew storylining. Mind you, he seemed to have ideas coming out of every orifice. It was like he chucked a million ideas at the screen, and if it worked, he ran with it, and if it didn't, he dropped it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Was Ste asking him for positions *giggles* the first time Brendan met him? :cool:

In fairness, we only got about five Brendan scenes anyway. :cry:
    Would it have killed them for Cheryl or Lynsey to bring up Ste in prison?

Same. Brendan's involvement with both of them are part of what makes him so interesting to me. They built up his relationship with his kids so well before we ever even saw them on screen, showing that they are his weak points (or arguably his strengths), the things he loves. Ste's the same.

Remember your Mitzeee posts, you. Came back to bite you ;)

Oh I know! Seriously! Just the one mention! Since he was clearly told that Ste thought he was guilty.

BIB: Agree totally. :)

MY JP OPINIONS WILL NEVER CHANGE. :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maaaaaybe. :o

Oh Maya....

*rolls eyes*

;)
    Hehe oh yes :p I should have made Ste purr but those not accustomed to The List may have been alarmed ;)

Not wrong with an impromptu purr. :cool:

Night, love.
    I'm a bit in awe of PM still really. He just knew storylining. Mind you, he seemed to have ideas coming out of every orifice. It was like he chucked a million ideas at the screen, and if it worked, he ran with it, and if it didn't, he dropped it.

Yeah, I think if he had one big, big flaw, this was it. I mean, it means he's really receptive of what worked and tried to give more, but it led to a very inconsistent show. You could go from the sublime to the atrocious in five seconds.

Poor Gabby. :(
  • MissCelticMissCeltic Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The first time they met when Brendan tells him his food looks rubbish and the way that Brendan smiles at him to think we didnt know then what was about to happen.

I wonder if Brendan fancied him straight off or if it was only really when Rae came on the scene he started to fancy him.
    Forum Member
    BIB: Oh, that was a hard, hard time. :o

I feel sometimes that we're only just coming out the other side of that. Granted, the stuff with Ash was so much about Ste, but he was underwritten so badly it sort of ruined it.

January was hardest for me. Because while Brendan was in prison, I thought they MIGHT be working towards something interesting when he got back, but just needed time to get it in place. And we got lollipop, and I was all, ooooo. Then I realised it was going nowhere. And like you say, what we got was poor. :o

And yes, I do like to think Brendan would have sniffed him out anyway. ;)

He so would. He'd have got a glimpse of him going into work, the curve of his neck, his little anxious meerkat gestures, his little round arse, and he'd have felt a sudden thirst for a coffee break.
    ;)

Chez would have been all "Where are ye goin' Brendan?"

"Oi've got some business with Tony ..."

"What, AGAIN?"
    Forum Member
    Ha! I don't think we'll be getting owt like it though somehow ;)

We'd never get anything that flawless :(

Night, Ayla!
    Ooh, I've got such an urge to watch their first meeting now. :o

Their first meeting is actually perfection. I watch it a lot.
    PM was brilliant at it. I know he f*cked up with the fire, but right from the start, the interactions were brilliant and natural and sparky. Every interaction Brendan had was gold, right through to the Britzeee stuff. The club was amazing.

So agree. You know my feelings on PM. For every thing he got a bit wrong, he got about a million things right. The show was just firing on all cylinders when he was in charge. Unmissable, and character led, not just plot driven.
    Was Ste asking him for positions *giggles* the first time Brendan met him? :cool:

Oh I know! Seriously! Just the one mention! Since he was clearly told that Ste thought he was guilty.

BIB: Agree totally. :)

MY JP OPINIONS WILL NEVER CHANGE. :mad:

Yes :D

A mention would have made his anger over Ste not believing him even more effective and sad.

I WILL WEAR YOU DOWN.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He so would. He'd have got a glimpse of him going into work, the curve of his neck, his little anxious meerkat gestures, his little round arse, and he'd have felt a sudden thirst for a coffee break.
    ;)

BIB: Awwwwwwwwwwww.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Aw. :o
    A mention would have made his anger over Ste not believing him even more effective and sad.

I WILL WEAR YOU DOWN.

I know. :(

But considering how last minute all the prison scenes were, and that they weren't supposed to exist, I'm not surprised.

NO YOU SHAN'T. :mad:
    Forum Member

;)

"What, AGAIN?"

Aw, C&S. Love this.

I do believe Brendan would have been extremely attracted to him from the moment they met. I know he needed control even more back then, but I bet he quite liked the fact that Ste challenged him and talked back. You can see the amusement playing on his face just before he punches him, and during the conversation where he offers him the job, the 'dancing' that Emmett talks about is clearly already happening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching their first episode together just now, and I love that little smile Brendan has on his face when Ste's trying to bribe him.

Just before he knocks him out. :o

I definitely think he was attracted to him from that first evening.

ETA: Wot RSG said. :cool:
    ;)

"What, AGAIN?"

I love this.

And similar to the way he'll suddenly get a taste for Italian food? ;)
    Forum Member
    I know. :(

But considering how last minute all the prison scenes were, and that they weren't supposed to exist, I'm not surprised.

NO YOU SHAN'T. :mad:

I guess we should be grateful for the fact that we got those scenes at all :(

Give me time...I will hatch up a plan. Mwhaha.

ETA - Great minds, Maya :D
    Forum Member

He was! "Just anything to keep me mouth shut ..."
    ;)
    MissCeltic wrote: »
    I wonder if Brendan fancied him straight off or if it was only really when Rae came on the scene he started to fancy him.

From the way he looked at him, I'd say instant attraction. But he started to think he might actually try to seduce him a few weeks later, when Ste was getting mixed up with the drugs. Before Rae, really. Rae was just yet another cockblocker.

So agree. You know my feelings on PM. For every thing he got a bit wrong, he got about a million things right. The show was just firing on all cylinders when he was in charge. Unmissable, and character led, not just plot driven.

This, yes. The plots were strong, but mostly, they were tied into character. For me, what made Brendan so amazing was his character was his story. The whole thing was driven by him being closeted, self-hating and controlling. And then developing feelings for Ste which blew all that out of the water. So brilliant.
This discussion has been closed.