Boardwalk Empire - Season 5 - US Pace

Comments

• The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capone finished.
    Chalky White more then likely finished.
    George Mueller finished
    And Nucky losing it more and more as time goes by.

I assume we will see young Nucky hand over young Gillian to the Commedore now and start that that storyline off.

Can see the "next" Nuckey being killed and that sending him off the edge
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Nelson, I shall miss his sour face. :D

Chalky White, almost thought he'd make it. All the loose ends being tied up - did get confused with the Nucky bar scene, thought that was a flashback too. Thought Chalky was the one that went missing from the bedroom.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The writers ruined Van Alden as a character, they turned him into a joke. Can't say I'll be disappointed to see this show end it has been a poor final season.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The writers ruined Van Alden as a character, they turned him into a joke. Can't say I'll be disappointed to see this show end it has been a poor final season.

He was pretty bat shit crazy from the start, couldn't make heads nor tails of why he killed his partner in the stream like that, he's provided a great deal of entertainment along the way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad he managed to be Van Alden again instead of George, Think that was very important as they was two very different people, He kept trying to push Van Alden down but at the last second he returned and did something nobody had the guts to do (and in the end he bought down Capone), Sort of a running thread thoughout the entire series "you are who are and you cannot run from it"
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was sad to see Chalky's demise. Hard to believe that it's all nearly over now.
  • Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why they feel they have to kill off so many of the main characters.

Not everything has to end in death. People can live happily ever after.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    I don't know why they feel they have to kill off so many of the main characters.

Not everything has to end in death. People can live happily ever after.

Really?

Which one of these characters deserves or is even looking for a "Happy Ever After" and how would they even obtain it?

Chalky goes off with the family he has destoryed?

Van Alden goes walking off with a wife who he cannot stand?

Certain choices made in life means "Happy Ever After" is not possible for some people and we have seen those choices made time and time again
  • Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people can live miserably ever after then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people can live miserably ever after then.

Whats the problem with them dying then?

Most of the people we have seen die so far have fully deserved what has happened.

Every story needs a start middle and end and there is nothng more of a ending then death.

They have lived by the bullet so dying by the bullet makes perfect sense
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Plenty of real-life characters, whom were involved in prohibition, drugs, racketeering, et al, died in the 1920s and 30s. If you also throw in the The Great Depression then the demise of such characters on Boardwalk Empire is realistic.

Nelson Van Alden and Chalky White - two very good characters. It does look like that Gillian will some how play a part in the final couple of episodes (going off the flashbacks).
  • Zidane82Zidane82 Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Lojen wrote: »
    Yeah I agree. Overall I have thoroughly enjoyed each and every season, but at the same time I felt they often spent too much time padding out the show with pointless side stories (usually involving the interminably dull Margaret).

I love all the series but I must admit to always fast-forwarding 95% of any scenes involving Margaret. I've just started fast-forwarding all scenes with the flashbacks to Nucky's childhood.
    Forum Member
    Lolzies_15 wrote: »
    People seem to forget that this show has been cancelled.

The writing has been dismal to say the least and it's reflected in the ratings. The only interesting stuff is taking place in the background....Capone/Luciano. There was so much they could have wrote a story around - St. Valentines Day Massacre, van Alden shitting himself wondering if Capone would find out about his past (instead they turned him into a comedy character), the Castellammarese War and Lucianos rise, Rothsteins death....

They've completely messed it up.

Look at Breaking Bad/Mad Men. That's how you write a show.

Both amazing programs but I've loved all the episodes of BE from the very beginning and only disappointing thing for me was the stories involving Margaret. Who cares about her !!!

I haven't changed much though, I felt the same about Stingray when they had scenes with that bladdy mermaid , Marina :)
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame they killed off Chalky White at the hands of Narcisse. Considering he's been a central character since series one, I feel he deserved 'better' than to be killed by a character who only came into it in series four and whose only significant involvement in series five was to kill Chalky. Considering some deaths link back to events years ago, this just felt too contrived. Nice touch though to have him sacrifice himself to 'save' - or, at least, believe he saved (although as Narcisse said, Chalky, and we, will never know for sure) - the woman he loved and their daughter.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    The_don1 wrote: »
    Chalky goes off with the family he has destoryed?

Destoryed? Was he one of the writers. ;-)

More seriously, it was a reasonably good end for Chalky, given that he really had nowhere to go and had walked away from his only friend.

Van Alden, also had an heroic send-off. Making Capone afraid, even for such a short time, and inadvertently bringing him down was a great bit of writing.

Not so convinced by Nucky as the drunken git, getting involved in a bar fight and then mugged. Even distraught, he just isn't that stupid.

Young Nucky, has to be the best casting/ look-alike ever done. Perfect job from the make-up department, and by the actor copying mannerism and speech patterns. Easily my favourite this series.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RIP Van Alden and Chalky. Two of my favourites. Eli's fate is as yet unknown. He's surely savvy enough to run like the wind. If he goes to his brother, will Nucky shield him from Capone's vengence?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Shame they killed off Chalky White at the hands of Narcisse. Considering he's been a central character since series one, I feel he deserved 'better' than to be killed by a character who only came into it in series four and whose only significant involvement in series five was to kill Chalky. Considering some deaths link back to events years ago, this just felt too contrived. Nice touch though to have him sacrifice himself to 'save' - or, at least, believe he saved (although as Narcisse said, Chalky, and we, will never know for sure) - the woman he loved and their daughter.

I not sure what other way they could have killed him unless it was trying to escape from the police or FBI etc. Nucky would have never have killed him as I do think he thought of us as close a friend as he has got.

The Narcisse/Chalky storyline had to end with one killing the other, Either could rest with the other one wondering around. At least Chalky got in the last word with his comment about "nobody being a freeman".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    RIP Van Alden and Chalky. Two of my favourites. Eli's fate is as yet unknown. He's surely savvy enough to run like the wind. If he goes to his brother, will Nucky shield him from Capone's vengence?

Capone thinks he is dead plus since they got the ledgers will be arrested before he can do anything.

Will Eli run? I dont know, Am sure he will still wanna mend bridges with his wife and kids so can see him sticking around, Plus he really has no where else to go anymore, I dont think he is in any state to "start again"
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    Capone thinks he is dead plus since they got the ledgers will be arrested before he can do anything.

Will Eli run? I dont know, Am sure he will still wanna mend bridges with his wife and kids so can see him sticking around, Plus he really has no where else to go anymore, I dont think he is in any state to "start again"

He might also be in the clear now with regards to the murder last season. If he's done his bit for the FBI.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    B.E is such a good show. Hooked on that and Ray Donovan of late.
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Another enjoyable episode, you know it's quality when it just flies by. Really enjoying the flashbacks, young Nucky was a dead ringer for Steve Buscemi, I hope those teeth were false though. :D

Nelson and his deadpan expression, can't get enough of him. His past has finally caught up with him. This episode had a Godfather feel to it after the shooting, didn't it.

Can't wait until next week.

Yeah he was certainly a 'dead ringer ' as you mentioned. I can't decide if it was CGI ( like the ex soldier's mask ) or was it the actor's real son.
    Forum Member
    I think the characters who aren't based on real-life people are more likely to get the chop. Unless they really died at that time. I also have a feeling it's not going to end at all well for Gillian. Not with that mad doctor about. :o

]

I reckon she will pretend to seduce him and somehow manage to kill him.
    Forum Member
    Incidentally . If you like gritty gangster programs , try Peaky Blinders. Amazing.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder who the young guy, Joe Harper, is? Plenty of possibilities.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder who the young guy, Joe Harper, is? Plenty of possibilities.

Jimmy's Darmody's son?