Options

Is How I Met Your Mother as good as Friends?

djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
Forum Member
✭✭
I know the similarities are regularly discussed. But now HIMYM is finished, do you think it is on the same level as Friends? While I like HIMYM and feel that it modernises the Friends concept, it just doesn't have the same level of humour and character as Friends

Is How I Met Your Mother as good as Friends? 156 votes

Yes
17% 27 votes
No
82% 129 votes

Comments

• Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Too many of the characters in HIMYM are not likeable, Ted especially is one the least likeable leads in sitcom.

Friends, Yes they were annoying but they were likeable enough, I don't get that with HIMYM
  • Options
    AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say himym is certainly cleverer than friends. Its a great sitcom in its own right (until the last episode at least).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    Too many of the characters in HIMYM are not likeable, Ted especially is one the least likeable leads in sitcom.

Friends, Yes they were annoying but they were likeable enough, I don't get that with HIMYM

Sorry but you've just inspired another thread and poll
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never liked Friends at all. HIMYM, despite its flaws in later seasons, was much more enjoyable.
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why isn't there a neither option, both are not worth the effort
  • Options
    munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt like they didn't go deep enough with the characters in HIMYM in comparison, apart from Barney I didn't really get to know them as well.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No way

I never found any of the characters very likeable, plus it stars the unsufferable Neil Patrick Harris.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    Neither is as good as Seinfeld ;-) :p
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes id say its on par or slightly better, imo it shades it in that it had better storylines, smarter written episodes and brilliant characters.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    One more thing, With HIMYM you were waiting all along for the big pay off and when it came it was a joke, Friends just went along and no big pay off was needed

Friends ended fine with out a big finish but that was ok, HIMYM promised more than it delivered
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    As good? Maybe. Better? Probably not. It's really hard to say because apart from their basic set up (a group of friends who barely spend any time apart) they were actually quite different and I loved both shows because of that. HIMYM tried to do a lot more with its storytelling and I really appreciated that, and I cared more about Ted/Robin than any couple in Friends. (I unapologetically loved the ending of the series, it even better than I hoped it would be.) Also, despite almost everything else finding him annoying, I love Ted, and I'd probably put him near the top of my list of favourite comedy characters.

I'm not sure the cast worked as well together as Friends' did, even if individually the characters were stronger (except Marshall, who in the second half of the show almost ruined it for me on several occasions, and was far worse than Ross ever was.) Also I think Friends was funnier for longer, HIMYM started to fade around Season 4 (even if it was still able to produce the occasional quality episode after that,) whereas with Friends we got a good six seasons out of it before things started to slip.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the pay off was fine, it certainly wasnt predictable how they got there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As good? Maybe. Better? Probably not. It's really hard to say because apart from their basic set up (a group of friends who barely spend any time apart) they were actually quite different and I loved both shows because of that. HIMYM tried to do a lot more with its storytelling and I really appreciated that, and I cared more about Ted/Robin than any couple in Friends. (I unapologetically loved the ending of the series, it even better than I hoped it would be.) Also, despite almost everything else finding him annoying, I love Ted, and I'd probably put him near the top of my list of favourite comedy characters.

I'm not sure the cast worked as well together as Friends' did, even if individually the characters were stronger (except Marshall, who in the second half of the show almost ruined it for me on several occasions, and was far worse than Ross ever was.) Also I think Friends was funnier for longer, HIMYM started to fade around Season 4 (even if it was still able to produce the occasional quality episode after that,) whereas with Friends we got a good six seasons out of it before things started to slip.

What did Marshall do wrong? Marshall is nowhere near as bad as Ross

Out of the male characters in both shows, I would hang out with Joey though he can be a bit dim, Barney even though most would find him too eccentric and Marshall is certainly a nice guy but is bland and very whipped. I'm on the fence about Chandler and would never hang out with Ross or Ted if they were real

As for female characters, I would only consider dating Robin (and even then she has weird traits such as being into guns) and Phoebe pre surrogacy storyline
  • Options
    monkeypuzzlermonkeypuzzler Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    I voted yes, but only if the final 5 minutes are ignored. HIMYM was a favourite show of mine, but the amount I hated the ending has soured it all for me.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted yes, but only if the final 5 minutes are ignored. HIMYM was a favourite show of mine, but the amount I hated the ending has soured it all for me.

The ending was fine by me. The problem I had is that they wasted so much time getting there. They could easily have covered the events of the last two seasons in a handful of episodes.
  • Options
    TishtoshtessTishtoshtess Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I much prefer Friends. Its the one show that, despite me having seen every episode at least half a dozen times, I still find funny. After seeing an episode of HIMYM once, ill not repeat it.
  • Options
    JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    I wave watched parts of different episodes of that Mother sitcom thing and it makes me want to drown myself in my toilet. Its bloody awful. Doogie Howser and Willow are not my favourite actors and the script seems to have been lifted from the 1990's

Then again I did used to watch Friends when I was younger and watching it again now its crap too
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I think Friends is funnier, has more likeable characters and one of my favourite 'meant to be' couples in Ross and Rachel ever. And it makes for great repeat viewing even after all these years.

HIMYM arguably has superior storytelling. When I first started watching as a student I watched three seasons in a single weekend as I was desperate to know how things developed! However I grew to hate Ted and I concur he is probably one of the least likeable protagonists ever. Has some hilarious, genuinely heartwarming and moving moments with the odd sprinkle of drama here and there. But I don't think it lends itself that well to repeat additions. For me once I've seen an episode, I've seen it and not too fussed about seeing it again other than as background noise.

So... I'd probably have to say Friends is the one for me.
  • Options
    Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love both, but Friends wins out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    HIMYM is far better than Friends. The characters are sharper written and more depth and don't become a parody of themselves , unlike Friends. And they can be unlike able and do bad things yet in Friends they were always forgiven or made a joke of.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I hate How I Met Your Mother. I love Friends.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friends is quite a few notches above HIMYM. Plus, the endings of each show made sure one will be much more fondly remembered than the other.
  • Options
    CaligCalig Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Not in a million years! I hate the cast of HIMYM.
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed HIMYM, but the last episode ruined any chance of a rewatch (what's the point in investing in certain things now?!). Before that it had some brilliant moments though, and I like the unconventional storytelling methods.

Friends is head and shoulders above it.
  • Options
    AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friends will still be funny 50yrs from now but HIMYM is instantly forgettable.