Samsung HD Ready Slimfit CRT: New Information

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't bother judging by the reliability of their other Slimfit tv's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Free delivery you say? Thats my favourite price! Robinsons are charging £50 for delivery.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Does it have built in freeview?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    from what i read it doesn't
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Im betting that alone took £100 odd off the RRP though.
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I am on Sky digital, freeview would be handy for the bedroom; unfortunately, we can't receive freeview in our area.

So it is really quite irrelevant whether or not it has freeview!
    Forum Member
    Possibly even cheaper here..

http://www.tesco.com/electrical/Product.aspx?R=8269432

£399 and this week its triple clubcard points (£10 in points).. not sure how much for delivery tho. But is this the HD version of SlimFit?? Samsungs specs dont seem to make it clear whether it can display HD resolutions or just accept them.

www.samsung.com/uk/products/television/crt/ws32z306vbxxeu.asp?page=Specifications
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    RowanDDR wrote:
    Possibly even cheaper here..

http://www.tesco.com/electrical/Product.aspx?R=8269432

£399 and this week its triple clubcard points (£10 in points).. not sure how much for delivery tho. But is this the HD version of SlimFit?? Samsungs specs dont seem to make it clear whether it can display HD resolutions or just accept them.

www.samsung.com/uk/products/television/crt/ws32z306vbxxeu.asp?page=Specifications

No, this isn't the HD version. Still a decent deal though especially seeing as delivery is free :)
    Forum Member
    Not HD? Then I think its a rubbish deal.. you'd be buying a SD TV that could be HD for just £27 more elsewhere.
  • counterstrikecounterstrike Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    WS32Z409TQX SAMSUNG 32" SLIM FIT TV £333.00

Delivery £6.38
    Total £339.38
    VAT £59.39
    Grand Total £398.77

http://www.clubstores.co.uk/newproducts.php?cat=tvs&club=fli
    Forum Member
    Wow under 400 notes, not bad, assuming its the HD version. I've just e-mailed samsung to ask.. the link to their HDTV PDF brochure on their website is dead, and there is no product page for that model number. I'll post here if they get back to me with any useful info.
  • hxbrohxbro Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yep, it looks like the hd version
    Forum Member
    Am I correct in thinking this (and all HD CRT sets) scale all inputs to 1080i? I thought one of the main benefits of CRT over flat panels was that there was no fixed resolution. I read elsewhere that the upscaling of SDTV is done badly by most sets, causing loss of picture quality.. so thats probably another drawback with this set. Anyone got some pearls of wisdom for me? £398 not bad for a toy I guess.
    Forum Member
    Samsung, in their best English, tell me:

"Yes this model will displaya multitude of resoloutions including 1080i
    and 720p but will use the necessary resoloution for each input/broadcast
    much like "normal" CRT televisions"

so I guess thats good news, assuming they are telling the truth.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    RowanDDR wrote:
    Am I correct in thinking this (and all HD CRT sets) scale all inputs to 1080i? I thought one of the main benefits of CRT over flat panels was that there was no fixed resolution. I read elsewhere that the upscaling of SDTV is done badly by most sets, causing loss of picture quality.. so thats probably another drawback with this set. Anyone got some pearls of wisdom for me? £398 not bad for a toy I guess.
    I think you might be confused with LCD tv's - these usually upscale a SD image to fit the screen resulting in a poor picture quality. Being CRT, i think that the SD image on this screen would be pretty good, like many other CRT's.
    I'm just looking / waiting for a review before i decide between this or the new R7 Samsung LCD range.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    RowanDDR wrote:
    Samsung, in their best English, tell me:

"Yes this model will displaya multitude of resoloutions including 1080i
    and 720p but will use the necessary resoloution for each input/broadcast
    much like "normal" CRT televisions"

so I guess thats good news, assuming they are telling the truth.

What a strangely worded response, did you email Samsung UK? What do they mean by "necessary resolution" and why is there a "but" in that sentence? I think the feeling most of us had was that this TV would scale everything to 1080i ...
    Forum Member
    Samsung UK yes. Maybe I should give them a call instead. From the footer of their e-mail...

Samsung Electronics UK
    Customer Communication Center
    Tel.: 0870 242 0303 (All calls charged at National Rate)
    Homepage: www.samsung.co.uk
  • amstereofanamstereofan Posts: 1,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RowanDDR wrote:
    Samsung UK yes. Maybe I should give them a call instead. From the footer of their e-mail...

Samsung Electronics UK
    Customer Communication Center
    Tel.: 0870 242 0303 (All calls charged at National Rate)
    Homepage: www.samsung.co.uk

I called them yesterday, they don't know anything or won't say anyway !
  • amstereofanamstereofan Posts: 1,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems you can't connect a pc to this TV :(
    Forum Member
    well it has svideo in and many budget pc gfx cards have svideo out
    Forum Member
    Samsung tell me this is the manual for WS-32Z409T (although oddly there is no mention of the model number inside the manual itself). Might make for some interesting reading....
    http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=HQ&CttFileID=940230&CDCttType=UM&ModelType=N&ModelName=WS-32Z409T&VPath=UM/200603/20060331212821625_AA68-03784A-01Eng_0329.pdf [14mb PDF]

The entire manual only seems to mention 1080 once, and this is in a table of supported modes of HDMI. I don't know whether "O" or "X" in the table means supported. IDIOTS. I've e-mailed them to ask. Even if supported it still doesn't answer the question of whether or not it auto scales everything to 1080i.
  • counterstrikecounterstrike Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    RowanDDR wrote:
    Samsung tell me this is the manual for WS-32Z409T (although oddly there is no mention of the model number inside the manual itself). Might make for some interesting reading....
    http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=HQ&CttFileID=940230&CDCttType=UM&ModelType=N&ModelName=WS-32Z409T&VPath=UM/200603/20060331212821625_AA68-03784A-01Eng_0329.pdf [14mb PDF]

The entire manual only seems to mention 1080 once, and this is in a table of supported modes of HDMI. I don't know whether "O" or "X" in the table means supported. IDIOTS. I've e-mailed them to ask. Even if supported it still doesn't answer the question of whether or not it auto scales everything to 1080i.

If their manual is consistent then on page 19 you have the following key(shown below).

so you could possibly assume X = not supported and 0 = supported

Page 19 of Manual:

Table of PIP Settings
    X : This PIP combination is not available.
    O : This PIP combination is available.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Since Samsung won't tell us (just like with their previous Slimfit CRT: Hush, hush ...), not on their website, not via email and not on the phone, it can only confirm what many of us believed all along, this BL***Y CRT DOES SCALE EVERYTHING TO 1080i! :mad:
  • TrevTrev Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RowanDDR wrote:

And on almost every page it states 'Depending on the model' :confused:
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    ahh sod it R7 LCD it is for me!