Do you think we are ever going to win it again in our lifetime??

scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Like most of you I'd really like to watch us win it one day.

Ok so its not the most important thing in the world, but every year I have high hopes for us and they are dashed.

If I have watched us win before, its actually faded from memory now its so long back.

BBC process, for what it is, always seems to come up with a song that falls well short of what Europe likes.

No political nonsense in this thread please, the top songs were all better than us on the night, fair and square.

Recent years, very little seems to be going our way, but I think its of our own making.

Comments

• ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing is, in the last millennium, we were very often in the top half of the results. Nowadays, we find it very difficult to get away from the bottom half of the results. We've had 15 Eurovisions this millennium and we've only been in the top half for three of them. That is not a good statistic.

I honestly thought we had a good chance of being in the top half this year as it was one of the favourites, but we didn't. I don't really understand why we did badly again or what it is we can do to make us stay successful again.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I have a hunch that the language restrictions when they were in force were a sizeable advantage to English speaking countries.

Maybe part of the problem is over-inflated expectations based on results achieved in an era which isn't really comparable (for this and other reasons).
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    I have a hunch that the language restrictions when they were in force were a sizeable advantage to English speaking countries.

Maybe part of the problem is over-inflated expectations based on results achieved in an era which isn't really comparable (for this and other reasons).

thats a very good point. But our songs still aren't good enough
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the UK will win at some point, but 2015 will mark 18 years since the last victory, before that it was 16 years, the two longest gaps we have had
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is I think the other countries are getting much better at it, they seem to get what is required far better than us.
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course! :)
  • notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that this year Molly was a good entry. The song was good, the production was good, sadly she was not given enough exposure. However....the uk is never gonna win.... Th political agenda is against us...we should back out......I am all ,for giving it a go, however why we are paying sooooo much money and then get shafted seems like madness. Let's back out, we get into the finals or not.... Then who cares. The Eastern block will. Dominate.....who cares......it is a song contents
  • ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^ This will be the Eastern bloc vote that resulted in a top 3 comprising of Western European countries, will it? And a Western winner last year, and the year before that. If we want to win, send a song that's better than the rest, it's as simple as that.
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of the other countries take Eurovision a lot more seriously and spend weeks trying to pick the right singer. They consistently send great singers. Molly was a good choice it's just the BBC aren't giving the public a chance to choose anymore .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    notin wrote: »
    however why we are paying sooooo much money and then get shafted seems like madness.

Will pay £310K apparently. Thats peanuts
  • notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that this year Molly was a good entry. The song was good, the production was good, sadly she was not given enough exposure. However....the uk is never gonna win.... The political agenda is against us...we should back out......I am all ,for giving it a go, however why we are paying sooooo much money and then get shafted seems like madness. Let's back out, we get into the finals or not.... Then who cares. The Eastern block will. Dominate.....who cares......it is a song contents f
  • JessicaLJessicaL Posts: 3,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My opinion -the UK should just concentrate on the song and promotion and then the win might come.Search out a great song and voice and imo there really needs to be changes to the semi-finals.So all countries can take their part in these important evenings in the contest.Have their songs performed during the voting breaks so the artists get to experience the big stage and especially the TV cameras and large tv audience before the Saturday final and nerves leading to poor performance will be less likely imo.

Find a gem of a song and vocal and get it released and promoted good and early if it's that good it won't matter how it does at Eurovision because it will already be a hit Eurovision song before the Saturday final.

Lastly the UK really need to watch how their songs are staged-Molly's stageing was very,very poor.Her dress was all wrong especially-just my opinion but I think maybe that one little factor badly affected Molly on stage..she was not confident so she was not relaxed.

The UK can win just need a corker of a vocal and a gem of a song add strong staging and it can win.
  • Bamber BoozlerBamber Boozler Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Sure, the UK can win it again. We just need to take the approach of The Netherlands, and send the LEAST Eurovisionary song we can.
  • sandalfsandalf Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Funnily enough, I had a very strange dream 30 years ago. I dreamed that I had written a song for the Eurovision Song Costest, but it got hardly any points and I was listening to the song that actually had won. It was very unusual in that it just consisted of a solo female vocal, with no backing musicians, no orchestra, nothing. Terry Wogan was going on about what a beautiful song it was and how it stood out because it was so different to the other songs. When I woke up I remembered the tune I had written in my sleep and eventually put words to it.
    It probably wouldn't work, but I wonder. Could a slow unaccompanied ballad in the middle of all the other razzmatazz deliver that wow factor and get us noticed?
  • liquidJPliquidJP Posts: 1,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe, I am beginning to thing it will be difficult thou.
    They been to open the selection process up a bit, not a huge great show but following some behind the scenes pre-selection, maybe one or two artists each presenting 2 or three of their songs followed by a public vote. I wouldn't even mind if it was all done online with the songs on the red-button as well.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC process, for what it is, always seems to come up with a song that falls well short of what Europe likes.
    Yep. I think a lot of that is the fault of the BBC. They should change their process. They came closest in recent years with Jade, so they should probably go back to a public vote. We should send a song that we like, rather than one we hate but think Europe will like. (Does anyone think if Mollie's had been released in the UK normally it would have been no.1?)

I suspect part of the problem is that if a singer or writer does feel they have a number 1 hit, they will do just that with it and not spend it on Eurovision. So we tend to get either newcomers who need the publicity and having no reputation to lose, or singers so established they are past it. It would be good if we could find some way to motivate everyone. One idea might be to surrender our automatic place in the final, and give the money saved to which ever singer/writer we send, regardless of whether they win.

There's no doubt we have the talent to get in the top 5 in Eurovision, and if we can do that we can win.
  • BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm happy with using BBC Introducing as a platform for our Eurovision entries. Guy Freeman was explaining that they only invited artists to try out if they had a bit of experience behind them and had sung in front of large audiences, and that they had credible songwriting skills

There are thousands of acts out there who would kill for a chance to represent their country - all this rubbish I read about Geri Halliwell and the like is just not necessary

Europe knows that we have a strong musical scene, it appears that we hadn't been aware of it ourselves in the past!
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we were having a Eurovision party with the rest of my band and the conversation turned to whether or not we should seriously attempt to enter it next year. Our manager thought it was a good idea but not if we enter for the UK, it would have to be another country if we had any intention of entering it to win
    :o
  • CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hard to tell. Austria kept withdrawing from the contest as they thought it too impossible to even qualify for a final and now they have won the contest after almost 50 years of doing badly..
  • dickiejoedickiejoe Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I think it's definitely possible. They just need to replicate what they did when Jade Ewan came 5th in 2009.

They found a good "eurovision-type" song written by globally well known songwriters, then had extremely talented unknown singer/performer and then proceeded to market the hell out of this combination and pimped Jade (and Andrew Lloyd-Webber) out to every Eurovision outlet that we felt we might have a chance swaying over.

The result was a decent 5th place & a respectable 173 points.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    JessicaL wrote: »
    My opinion -the UK should just concentrate on the song

Lastly the UK really need to watch how their songs are staged-Molly's stageing was very,very poor.Her dress was all wrong especially-just my opinion but I think maybe that one little factor badly affected Molly on stage..she was not confident so she was not relaxed.

The UK can win just need a corker of a vocal and a gem of a song add strong staging

and it can win.

The Uk have been CLUELESS about staging since 1998. When you look at the winners from 2011/2012/2013/2014 they have all had fantastic IMAGINATIVE staging, and that WOW factor.
    Look at Blue in 2011..the staging was cheap and tacky, horrible green neon lighting and cheap suits..and that killed any chance (never mind the dodgy jury performance)

The BBC really dont seem to have anyone who knows how to stage a song.

The main reason Molly did badly was because it was an Indie song, but the bad staging emphasised how generic it was with the henna tattoes, the stupid dress, and the manic drumming...plus the blue backdrop was the same used by Belgium, and that hadnt worked..as what did flowers on a blue backdrop have to do with the song?
    Contrast that to Austria with the imaginative phoenix from the flames staging, and we were 4th division by comparison.
    Its almost like the BBC staging is a school 'O' level project..and it wouldnt even get a grade B....the pyrotechnics were totally wasted.I kept hearing about the pyrotechnics all week, and they were a waste of time, as they added nothing to the song.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    notin wrote: »
    I think that this year Molly was a good entry. The song was good, the production was good, sadly she was not given enough exposure. However....the uk is never gonna win.... Th political agenda is against us...we should back out......I am all ,for giving it a go, however why we are paying sooooo much money and then get shafted seems like madness. Let's back out, we get into the finals or not.... Then who cares. The Eastern block will. Dominate.....who cares......it is a song contents

clueless. On every level.
  • jan_leemingjan_leeming Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    Quite honestly, I think we are going to struggle to win it again until the British public at large start taking the contest a bit more seriously instead of treating it like a massive joke all the time.

We had a decent enough song this year and the BBC's approach was definitely a step in the right direction but the support Molly actually seemed to receive outside of Eurovision fan bases was virtually non-existent as far as I could see. The first time most people heard the song was when she performed it on Graham Norton ONE WEEK before the final (even though it had been out there for two months already) and they were already posting such amazing witticisms as 'oh well, nul points again' on social media before she had even finished the first verse.

The fact that I had people on my Facebook feed on Saturday night saying things like 'What's this Netherlands entry doing in Eurovision, it's a good song....' (er, because it's a music competition?) just shows you the perception the vast majority of people have about the contest in this country.

So in answer to your question yes, we probably can win it again. But it's not the process of choosing the song which has to change, it's the public's attitude, otherwise this will just keep on happening year after year.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite honestly, I think we are going to struggle to win it again until the British public at large start taking the contest a bit more seriously instead of treating it like a massive joke all the time.

We had a decent enough song this year and the BBC's approach was definitely a step in the right direction but the support she actually seemed to receive outside of Eurovision fan bases was virtually non-existent as far as I could see. The first time most people heard the song was when she performed it on Graham Norton ONE WEEK before the final (even though it had been out there for two months already) and they were already posting such amazing witticisms as 'oh well, nul points again' on social media before she had even finished the first verse.

The fact that I had people on my Facebook feed on Saturday night saying things like 'What's this Netherlands entry doing in Eurovision, it's a good song....' (er, because it's a music competition?) just shows you the perception the vast majority of people have about the contest in this country.

So in answer to your question yes, we probably can win it again. But it's not the process of choosing the song which has to change, it's the public's attitude, otherwise this will just keep on happening year after year.
    You make a good point. I get the impression the French are just as bad at treating it seriously hence why they always get rubbish results.
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    Maybe what we (UK) need to do is find that amazing song first, then find the artist who will sell the song the best, then start the promotion to the UK people then to the rest of Europe

The UK people have a negative feeling towards Eurovision so we need to get them in love with the song before the rest of Europe does.