Is Kylie Minogue a spent force in music

Comments

• Nebworth90Nebworth90 Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO as a devout kylie fan, I think kylie could still have another number 1 single in her but she has to collaborate. Barely anyone releases songs without features anymore and I think a duet with a fresh, younger act could bring her back to life. I also think she should ditch Parlophone. They seem to have given up on her completely. It's poor promotion after poor promotion and bad ideas constantly.
    For her next album I'd like kylie to go more house (revisit her 90s phase) with maybe a little r&b thrown in

Albums wise and concert wise however, kylie is still a strong force considering how long she's been in the business.
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kylie's lasted album and singles are alright but hardly chart topping, they just sound like the usual tuned out pop songs these days. Her sexercise video/song was terrible, I think she needs to realise she's no longer that sex symbol she use to be. Aphrodite was the last good album (one of her best IMO) and All The Lovers was her last good single. If she got better marketing strategies and better lyrics she could improve massively.

I'm a Kylie fan but her prime days are over (along with Madonna), she could still probably still get some decent sales and chart numbers but it will be hard to get No.1. Her big fans will probably still by her albums but won't get many more people will by them. Though she will still get heaps of concert tours, which is where I think she needs to start focusing now, along with talent shows as she's a massive hit on those.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I think she needs to focus solely on her existing fanbase now. She is at that age where she isn't going to pull in younger listeners like she use to - not helped with the fact that she doesn't get airplay on the likes of Radio 1.

Into the Blue was a brilliant start, but IWGC was just terrible.
  • SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she starts producing decent music then she'll probably garner better results. Just a suggestion.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    I personally think Kiss Me Once is an excellent album - a few Kylie-by-numbers tracks (Million Miles and Sexy Love) but others like If Only, Sleeping With The Enemy, Fine and Les Sex are awesome.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    I personally think Kiss Me Once is an excellent album - a few Kylie-by-numbers tracks (Million Miles and Sexy Love) but others like If Only, Sleeping With The Enemy, Fine and Les Sex are awesome.

Here here!! LOVE If Only and Les Sex!!
    Forum Member
    VoodooChic wrote: »

I love Sleeping With the Enemy! It's decisions like making that a bonus track which makes me wonder who the hell is in charge?!?! :o Fine is one of the weakest on the album though IMO, it starts off pretty well but just doesn't really go anywhere - similar to Cosmic on X - which to this day just sounds like an unfinished demo they just tagged on the end. :D
  • Trevor_C7Trevor_C7 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Aside from Spinning Around and Can't Get You Out of My Head, she's not put out any decent material since Light Years. That was a fantastic album.

She's been auto tuned on all her tracks for a few years now, her material's been worse than rubbish, and I don't think she's relevant anymore. She's now at the stage where most singers her age just tour doing their greatest hits. I don't think most of her fans are bothered about new material if it's going to be the same rubbish she's been putting out in the last 10 years.
  • ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    Trevor_C7 wrote: »
    Aside from Spinning Around and Can't Get You Out of My Head, she's not put out any decent material since Light Years. That was a fantastic album.

She's been auto tuned on all her tracks for a few years now, her material's been worse than rubbish, and I don't think she's relevant anymore. She's now at the stage where most singers her age just tour doing their greatest hits. I don't think most of her fans are bothered about new material if it's going to be the same rubbish she's been putting out in the last 10 years.

I guess everyone will think differently but totally disagree,
    Slow, I believe in you, the one, all the lovers,
    Get outta my way are all great tracks not forgetting another light years gem not mentioned in on a night like this

I for one am glad she has enough fans who want to see her showcase her new material on tour, this will be the 6th time I have seen her and if she played the same old greatest hits every time I don't think I would bother
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a 'spent force'?... she was never a force anyway, just a pop star.

Truth.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its weird seeing so many slag Kylie off! there was a time if anything negative was posted about her on here a whole army would come out in force!

Maybe they all stopped supporting her after Kiss Me Once! :eek: :D
  • KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever you think of her, if someone had said circa 1987 that the soap-star-du-jour currently singing "I Should Be So Lucky" in a passable but somewhat thin and nasal voice over a catchy but utterly lightweight backing track would not only be around over 25 years later, but also considered a national institution... you'd have been pretty bloody surprised.

It'd be like if The Reynolds Girls had gone on to become as big as U2, or something. :D

Kylie's probably a better singer than she was given credit for in those early days, but realistically her success probably has less to do with her decent but not outstanding voice and more to do with her obvious work ethic and professionalism, and- I'm guessing- a level of savvy and clear-headed ambition that isn't played up as part of her public persona, but must be in there.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone could have recorded I Should Be So Lucky though. If Kylie hadn't of got it then Sonia probably would have.

Doubt it would have been as successful without the ''Charlene from Neighbours'' tag but still a hit due to its catchiness.
  • FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone could have recorded I Should Be So Lucky though. If Kylie hadn't of got it then Sonia probably would have.

Doubt it would have been as successful without the ''Charlene from Neighbours'' tag but still a hit due to its catchiness.
    But would Sonia (or anybody else) have carved out a 25-year successful career beginning with that song? I doubt it.
    Forum Member
    Kylie is one of the very few pop acts to have maintained a successful career in music over 27 years. That doesn't just happen. She isn't given half as much credit as she deserves.

Even during her slump periods she was still releasing and selling records. She has maintained a career up until now and will continue to do so because it's what she does.
  • FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    Kylie is one of the very few pop acts to have maintained a successful career in music over 27 years. That doesn't just happen. She isn't given half as much credit as she deserves.

Even during her slump periods she was still releasing and selling records. She has maintained a career up until now and will continue to do so because it's what she does.
    I agree, people don't give her enough credit. You don't get to have a 27-year career without "talent" or being a mere "puppet". Now I'll be the first to admit she's no Mariah or Whitney obviously, but she is still well ahead of most popstars. As a previous post said, her work ethic and professionalism also helped immensely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fanntastik wrote: »
    I agree, people don't give her enough credit. You don't get to have a 27-year career without "talent" or being a mere "puppet". Now I'll be the first to admit she's no Mariah or Whitney obviously, but she is still well ahead of most popstars. As a previous post said, her work ethic and professionalism also helped immensely.

Totally agree. Kylie is now pop royalty, u don't last as long as she has and not get recognised for it. She is still selling singles and albums (ok, not as many as before) after 27 years, to still be scoring a top 15 single is good going tbh. She does get a hard time but the truth of the matter is she always has done, and the bitter critics haven't stopped her so far and they never will. There IS a lot of love still left out there for kylie and I for one will continue to be an avid fan regardless of negative comments.
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Timebomb for me has been the most exciting thing she's released since All the Lovers its pity she never released a studio album of similar songs to that one over what we did infact get on her latest.

Into the Blue was too DULL for Kylie I think she sometimes makes huge mistakes with her launch singles (Into the Blue, 2 Hearts) but at other times can get it sooooo right (Can't Get You Out of My Head, All the Lovers)
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »

Credit for what though? Surviving, that's kind of like Cliff Richard. Having all these hits over decades but not that much music that is really memorable or much good. In the long run people will start asking what was that career about? Pop music should be about just that, about making great music. Like ABBA, like Queen, like Madonna, like Tina Turner, like Whitney......not like Kylie. Just having a career that lasts 27 years or more is some sort of achievement and I'm sure the fans are grateful but this idea that Kylie is some sort of force or influence in pop music.....nah. Just very lucky.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Credit for what though? Surviving, that's kind of like Cliff Richard. Having all these hits over decades but not that much music that is really memorable or much good. In the long run people will start asking what was that career about? Pop music should be about just that, about making great music. Like ABBA, like Queen, like Madonna, like Tina Turner, like Whitney......not like Kylie. Just having a career that lasts 27 years or more is some sort of achievement and I'm sure the fans are grateful but this idea that Kylie is some sort of force or influence in pop music.....nah. Just very lucky.

You think Kylie is lucky, but that's how I feel about Queen. They were able to coast through the eighties churning out M.O.R. A.O.R. off the back of being the people's rock band. They were supremely cheesy and corporate. Their seventies stuff wasn't much better, but at least they were much more adventurous in that decade.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    The one thing Queen had was Freddie Murcury - the ultimate showman, as proved at their Live Aid gig in 1985 which to this day has been hailed as their best ever show.

On the flip side, you can't really compare Queen to Kylie. Queen were just 4 men on stage, but crucially the main singer had a natural ability to command the stage. With Kylie, I don't think there's ever been a concert where it's just Kylie on stage. She's surrounded by 100s of dancers which could be seen as a distraction from the music.

That probably sounds like a criticism but it's not intended that way. That's just what pop music is. I just think overall Queen have had more memorable hits than Kylie.

Both of them you could argue were "lucky" to be given the chance to grow and develop whilst building up a loyal following.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    You think Kylie is lucky, but that's how I feel about Queen. They were able to coast through the eighties churning out M.O.R. A.O.R. off the back of being the people's rock band. They were supremely cheesy and corporate. Their seventies stuff wasn't much better, but at least they were much more adventurous in that decade.

Queen have a large catalogue of diverse songs which stretch back to early 70s glam rock and draw on genres like disco, hard rock, rockabilly, prog rock, classical opera etc. Music which is written and played by the band, a set of songs which are still played now. And they were an excellent live band effectively stealing the show at LiveAid. Plus they sold a bucketful of records along the way. That's a body of work and a real contribution to the development of pop music, that's not just a career. And I think they coasted for a while but that doesn't devalue the earlier work. I was only using them as an example, I'm not a fan of Queen or Kylie.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The internet really is the only place you'd see Kylie compared to Queen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    The internet really is the only place you'd see Kylie compared to Queen.

Actually you mean contrasted and where else but the internet?
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's over 40, so that's that as far as 'charts' ie Radio is concerned.

She'll remain a household name, and still be hot to trot for Glastonbury in 20 plus years' time.