Options

Toilet Attendants

Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
Forum Member
A bit of a tough one to discuss IMHO, because I feel like I inevitably run the risk of sounding really condescending and/ or snobbish, but what is your take on the men and women whose job it is to hand out paper towels, perfumes, lollipops, etc, in nightclub toilets?

First off, I don't give them money. I don't feel that someone handing me a paper towel or even just sitting on a stool beside the hand drier warrants any sort of financial reward. When I give money charitably, it's to Big Issue sellers, buskers, authorised people with collection boxes and some homeless people (but that it itself is a toughie, because you can't give to everyone)

I feel sorry for toilet attendants because it has to be one of the most demeaning jobs you can do. If I were on the breadline, touch wood, I like to think I'd at least take a job in McDonalds or as an office cleaner or something, before I'd be a toilet attendant. I wonder what sort of situation drives someone to take a job like this.

But third of all, some of them do annoy me. In a nightclub recently I was dying for the loo, and as soon as I sat down, the toilet attendant started shouting: 'Come on all you sexy ladies, hurry up with your business, there's lots of ladies waiting out here.' Well, you know how some men can't pee when someone else is at the neighbouring urinal? You try peeing when you have a toilet attendant screaming at you to hurry up! There is another one, near where I live, who waits by the unisex sink and tells the men to 'wash up your hands for the punani.' which, even in a bit of a drunken state, I found quite offensive!

Sorry- it really isn't my intention to be a complete snob with this post, so apologies if anyone takes it that way. What are your thoughts on this job, do you give them money, etc etc? Do you know anyone personally who does this?

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Never seen any of that in the night clubs I go to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    There is one in ours and my mate went in there and the lady gave her a spray of perfume and then demanded payment. :o
  • Options
    upnunderupnunder Posts: 2,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel a Cheryl Tweedy joke coming on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are just doing their job..you dont want any of their stuff just say no thanks. And as for them trying to make chatter, i would be bored stiff listening to loads of drunk women coming in the toilet screeching "i cant beleive he sh*gged me then never called me, waah aaaaaaahhhaaa" *vomit vomit* "who you looking at b*tch".......so i would want to chat with some of the girls who look like they could string together a coherent sentence :)

And yes, saying it is a demeaning job did come across as snobbish...only the people who LOOK DOWN on something make it demeaning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They annoy the hell out of me. Some of them where I used to live would almost chase you around the toilet. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    TVR birdTVR bird Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    They annoy the hell out of me. Some of them where I used to live would almost chase you around the toilet. :rolleyes:

Did you pay them extra for that? ;):D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TVR bird wrote:
    Did you pay them extra for that? ;):D

Only when I went in the wrong toilets ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Similou wrote:
    A bit of a tough one to discuss IMHO, because I feel like I inevitably run the risk of sounding really condescending and/ or snobbish, but what is your take on the men and women whose job it is to hand out paper towels, perfumes, lollipops, etc, in nightclub toilets?

First off, I don't give them money. I don't feel that someone handing me a paper towel or even just sitting on a stool beside the hand drier warrants any sort of financial reward. When I give money charitably, it's to Big Issue sellers, buskers, authorised people with collection boxes and some homeless people (but that it itself is a toughie, because you can't give to everyone)

I feel sorry for toilet attendants because it has to be one of the most demeaning jobs you can do. If I were on the breadline, touch wood, I like to think I'd at least take a job in McDonalds or as an office cleaner or something, before I'd be a toilet attendant. I wonder what sort of situation drives someone to take a job like this.

But third of all, some of them do annoy me. In a nightclub recently I was dying for the loo, and as soon as I sat down, the toilet attendant started shouting: 'Come on all you sexy ladies, hurry up with your business, there's lots of ladies waiting out here.' Well, you know how some men can't pee when someone else is at the neighbouring urinal? You try peeing when you have a toilet attendant screaming at you to hurry up! There is another one, near where I live, who waits by the unisex sink and tells the men to 'wash up your hands for the punani.' which, even in a bit of a drunken state, I found quite offensive!

Sorry- it really isn't my intention to be a complete snob with this post, so apologies if anyone takes it that way. What are your thoughts on this job, do you give them money, etc etc? Do you know anyone personally who does this?

you do know big issue sellers are drug dealers?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Why is it demeaning? At least they're working for their money. Not even cleaning toilets is demeaning to me, because i'd rather do that and make an honest living then hold up my hand to beg.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe they enjoy cleaning shi*ty toilets. And clenaing up sick after people like YOU
  • Options
    Forum Member
    maybe they enjoy cleaning shi*ty toilets. And clenaing up sick after people like YOU

Fair enough you don't agree with my post. But personal abuse isn't necessary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Similou wrote:
    Fair enough you don't agree with my post. But personal abuse isn't necessary.

yeah but its a bit of a random post.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to say, it must take nerves of steel and a strange indifference to foulness to do the job of a toilet attendant.

I saw a kid throw up on Saturday at a local store. It was enough to set off my own gut. I don't think standing about in a bog is a great job.

It is not demeaning but it is quite disgusting imo. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say, it must take nerves of steel and a strange indifference to foulness to do the job of a toilet attendant.

I saw a kid throw up on Saturday at a local store. It was enough to set off my own gut. I don't think standing about in a bog is a great job.

It is not demeaning but it is quite disgusting imo. :eek:

lovely! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Freshen up for the punani!
    No spray no lady!

And some others i cant remember...

Annoys the hell out of me, they almost make you NOT wash your hands because they are hovering around the sinks waiting to try and wash/dry your hands and therefore expect money. There was a really good article about them in my student newspaper the other week, shame i dont have it anymore or i would have scanned it in.

They are mainly there as a deterrant for people not to do drugs, i believe. They also only seem to appear on "mainstream" nights. I've been to the same club on different nights and they are never there on the rock/alternative ones, but always on the cheesy dancey ones :confused:

Besides, i would have thought if people hadnt "freshened up" before going out to a nightclub, they are hardly going to want to freshen up in the toilets suddenly and go out on the pull! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you do know big issue sellers are drug dealers?

Is that everyone that sells The Big Issue. If that's the case and they're selling the magazine as a cover you would think the police would be wise to at least some of the sellers.

I think you may have been better to say a minority of the people that sell this magazine are also selling drugs.

Working as a toilet attendant, is an honest living. Might not be the job a lot of people would want to do, but someone has to do it. If that is all the work I could get then so be it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never had anyone try and dry my hands in a toilet. They have sat on their stool with their perfume and insette hairpsray looking rather sheepish.

Change the places where you going guys..if the toilet attendents are that heavy handed, imagine the door staff!! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that everyone that sells The Big Issue. If that's the case and they're selling the magazine as a cover you would think the police would be wise to at least some of the sellers.

I think you may have been better to say a minority of the people that sell this magazine are also selling drugs.

Working as a toilet attendant, is an honest living. Might not be the job a lot of people would want to do, but someone has to do it. If that is all the work I could get then so be it.

where i live they all are. My dad gave this man last year 3 pounds for christmas. 2 minutes later he was buying booze in sainsbury's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    where i live they all are. My dad gave this man last year 3 pounds for christmas. 2 minutes later he was buying booze in sainsbury's.

How does that make him a dealer?? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nicibabes wrote:
    I have never had anyone try and dry my hands in a toilet. They have sat on their stool with their perfume and insette hairpsray looking rather sheepish.

Change the places where you going guys..if the toilet attendents are that heavy handed, imagine the door staff!! :)

I'm sorry nicibabes but that does nothing to make me think that toilet attendance is a savoury job. :eek: :eek: :(
  • Options
    Forum Member

Working as a toilet attendant, is an honest living. Might not be the job a lot of people would want to do, but someone has to do it.

But do they? Are men and women not capable of visiting toilets, washing and drying their hands, and freshening up by themselves? This is part of my confusion; why does this job exist? Surely not solely to prevent drug-taking, and if so, wouldn't more stringent door policy do better than employing toilet attendants in the guise of drug police?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry nicibabes but that does nothing to make me think that toilet attendance is a savoury job. :eek: :eek: :(
    haha, i didnt say it was savoury, just that the ones i have encountered havent been as over zelous with the "let me dry your hands" as other one here which to me would be like them asking to wipe my bum..i would tell them noooooooo :D

Saying that, i have worked in a hotel..cleaning beds, bathrooms etc....nothing prepares you for what state people are willing to leave their room in..nothing :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So they have gone from being drug dealers to alcoholics. Yes a minority may be but not all. Shame on you really for tarring all Big Issue sellers with the experiences you have seen.
  • Options
    Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    nicibabes wrote:
    haha, i didnt say it was savoury, just that the ones i have encountered havent been as over zelous with the "let me dry your hands" as other one here which to me would be like them asking to wipe my bum..i would tell them noooooooo :D

Saying that, i have worked in a hotel..cleaning beds, bathrooms etc....nothing prepares you for what state people are willing to leave their room in..nothing :eek:

don't worry atchooblessyou.. I got it ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Similou wrote:
    But do they? Are men and women not capable of visiting toilets, washing and drying their hands, and freshening up by themselves? This is part of my confusion; why does this job exist? Surely not solely to prevent drug-taking, and if so, wouldn't more stringent door policy do better than employing toilet attendants in the guise of drug police?

The job exists because toilets are not self cleaning, basins, urinals, floors etc have to be thoroughly cleaned for public use.

As for the police going in undercover to catch dealers at work, toilets are where a lot of drugs are sold, so what better than to have an officer in place to try and catch some of these dealers.