Doctor Who Series 3 Episode 8 - 'Human Nature' 26/05/07 19:10

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think sometimes the accents were good but they did seem to change at points. The one David used to speak to Tim in his study seemed different to the one he used outside the pub.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    priggy wrote: »
    i think sometimes the accents were good but they did seem to change at points. The one David used to speak to Tim in his study seemed different to the one he used outside the pub.

I seemed to notice that too:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member
    diva queen wrote: »
    Just noticed 8 people have now voted very poor :eek: :eek:

P*ss-takers. Got to be!:eek:
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hated the accents too:eek: I missed the part with the modern truck i'll have to watch it tonight

Unless I was seeing things, do have a look. I found it rather disconcerting - especially as it was going at what was probably a record speed for 1913.

Did nobody else see this thing careering along the road behind as they stood outside the school?

Maybe it was Captain Jack riding to the rescue.:)
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    abfab55 wrote: »
    Secondly unless you come up with some complicated slowing down of age theory the doctors "baby" can't be Saxon as he is only about 40 whereas he would have to be in his 90's to have been born in 1913

Hang on, if the lad is half-Timelord, might that not drastically slow down his aging process?
  • loz2601loz2601 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    Hang on, if the lad is half-Timelord, might that not drastically slow down his aging process?

I think you're onto something!
    The Doctor with kids? :eek:
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    but its an excuse for RTD to have ANOTHER kiss in an episode that is my point.
    It was integral to the John Smith storyline, so it was not an excuse, especially when
    the trailer for next week shows what looks like John Smith getting marries and a baby
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geraniums wrote: »
    P*ss-takers. Got to be!:eek:
    Perhaps they are the ones that rubbish it every week, or say that new Who should be exactly like old Who, and then vote very poor, but will still spend another 45 mins the next week watching what they know will be rubbish .....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Perhaps they are the ones that rubbish it every week, or say that new Who should be exactly like old Who, and then vote very poor, but will still spend another 45 mins the next week watching what they know will be rubbish .....

I agree mossy. If you don't like it don't watch it. I work with a bloke who sl*gs Doctor Who off every single week, but still watches it. These people are unbelievable and to me, a different race. Personally, I loved it. I'm just happy that a novel has been adapted for television and look forward to more of the same in the future. Oh, and yes, we know that neither Martha nor Joan get blasted thanks to the trailer for next week, but still, it didn't contribute to any disappointment in this weeks fantastic story. Eccleston who?
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »

I suspect you are right. At the end of the day, everyone has the right to their POV, I just wish one of them would at least explain WHY they've rated it 'very poor'

Normally people aren't slow in coming forward with their critisims of the episodes on this board, after all....;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just watched dr who again. Realised something that seemed odd to me in the first watching but i forgot about it. Martha showing theDoctor his screwdriver seemed un necessary - will it help him in this weeks cliffhanger?

Another thing i noticed is when the boy bumped into Martha and he had a flash to the future, she was dreesed and hairstyled exactly how she is in the series second half trailer when she says 'Doctor, what do we do?' In the trailer he looks all normal. But because it is the future does that mean the boy travels in time? Do the family chase the dr through time still?

If the boy does go to the future to see that, maybe theres some time travel. In the episode he has a flash of war battle? Well confidential shows that scene being made next week, so maybe he really go there.
  • MJEMJE Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I hated the accents too:eek: I missed the part with the modern truck i'll have to watch it tonight

It's the short scene where the machine guns are firing at the buckets on sticks. A white trailer in the distance. I like looking for anomalies in period scenes - satellite dishes, aircraft trails etc.

On another subject, I'm amazed how many here are saying "I'll have to watch the repeat" or similar. Don't these people have recorders? Do you always watch it live with no recording going on and run the risk of an interruption? Don't you ever want to skip back and watch a scene again? Obviously some are now saying they want to watch the whole episode again, and even have to ask when it's repeated. Bizarre.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Philster2 wrote: »
    I agree mossy. If you don't like it don't watch it. I work with a bloke who sl*gs Doctor Who off every single week, but still watches it. These people are unbelievable and to me, a different race. Personally, I loved it. I'm just happy that a novel has been adapted for television and look forward to more of the same in the future. Oh, and yes, we know that neither Martha nor Joan get blasted thanks to the trailer for next week, but still, it didn't contribute to any disappointment in this weeks fantastic story. Eccleston who?

You kinda knew that already because you knew Martha wouldn't die and you know John Smith will not let them kill Joan so it didn't ruin anything - plus it is Dr Who - you know none of the good guys are gonna die - its how they get out of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Hmm, I think we need a new rating for the poll; Fan ****ing Tastic!

For once, I can't see where this is going next week; the flash forward with the kid has completely baffled me, as has the moment where he's in the trenches and seems to have used the watch to fortell the exact moment he meets his doom.

Surely he's got to be a candidate for Saxon; just a small part of him is timelord, and so he could age slowly enough to be John Simm in 2007, desperate to find the Doctor again to somehow grab more of his Timelordness (perhaps using the machine from the Lazarus experiment?) and become the full monty.

Definitly the subject of Boe's "you are not alone" prophecy I'd have thought.

Can't wait 'till next week, but I suppose I'll have to :(
  • pammi_ipammi_i Posts: 6,851
    Forum Member
    Philster2 wrote: »

I know I risk getting a ban for this, but ...

YOU INCONSIDERATE &@*^%@*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Even the BBC had the decency to warn those of us who didn't want spoilers in time to turn over so we didn't have to see it, and there you go blurting it out without even the consideration to put it in spoiler tag!!!!!!!!! Arrrrrgh! :mad:
  • pammi_ipammi_i Posts: 6,851
    Forum Member
    Just noticed 8 people have now voted very poor :eek: :eek:
    They're the ones who only watch Dr Who so they can moan about it ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pammi, i understand that may have annoyed you, but to be honest, youd have to be pretty stupid to think for even one second that martha or joan would get killed at the start
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pammi_i wrote: »

Even the BBC had the decency to warn those of us who didn't want spoilers in time to turn over so we didn't have to see it, and there you go blurting it out without even the consideration to put it in spoiler tag!!!!!!!!! Arrrrrgh! :mad:

yeah, but its obvious. anyway, one of them only appears in the trailer in flash-forwards so...
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    I'll have to look again - maybe whoever did the sketch mistakenly used a picture of Richard Hurndall, the actor who played the first Doctor in The Five Doctors (1983)?

I don't know. I think it was very deliberate what they did.
    The pose matches Hartnell's pic from the publicity photo, but the face is different.
    The features from the other photos match up pretty well, ironically the image of Colin Baker which was the main one people had doubts about has the features matching up perfectly.
    As the other images are very good likenesses, I find it surprising that the Hartnell image looks like a really bad likeness.

One possibility is that maybe they want to keep their options open and possibly consider a future story featuring one or more of the Docs in the picture. As William Hartnell has died then maybe they deliberately kept the features more ambiguous just in case they may need to cast an actor to play him in the future.
    It just seems a bit odd that the other 'sketches' are pretty spot on and Hartnell's isn't. It could well be simply because it's a bad drawing, but I doubt it, as they are obviously traced and processed from the original publicity photos.
    Forum Member

Unless, of course I'm lying?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    perhaps. i hardly think it matters, so long as it was a likeness. lets face it, the cybermen and dalek looked nothing like themselves, it was only a rough sketch

I don't know what you mean by you thinking it hardly matters. We aren't complaining. It's just something to discuss along with everthing else.

And no the pictures of the Doctors weren't only rough sketches. In the show they were supposed to be depicted as rough sketches, but in real life they were matched up with actual real existing publicity photos. Somebody on this thread has posted the Gif that was uploaded to Outpost Gallifrey which shows that these weren't really rough sketches.
    Forum Member

Pammi
    The Doctor is really a Time Lord

Didn't want to spoil that bit for you.

Merry Xmas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geraniums wrote: »
    First time I`ve voted "excellent" this Series. Absolutely gripping stuff. The actor who played Baines was outstanding IMHO.

My only gripe was - why leave the pocket watch lying around so that anyone could nick it?!

Roll on next week!:D

Because John Smith didn't know that he was the Doctor thus didn't know the significance of the watch.
    If he knew that the watch would be important then he would probably blow his cover.
    The fact that he would leave it lying around would be exactly how he would have planned to treat the watch before he went incognito.
    He should be treating the watch as though it's unimportant for his disguise to work.
    Forum Member
    Because John Smith didn't know that he was the Doctor thus didn't know the significance of the watch.
    If he knew that the watch would be important then he would probably blow his cover.
    The fact that he would leave it lying around would be exactly how he would have planned to treat the watch before he went incognito.
    He should be treating the watch as though it's unimportant for his disguise to work.

I don't understand why Martha didn't keep hold of it as she was asked to do. Was a bit silly to let it go really, especially as she had seen everything the Doctor had gone through to keep his identity secret.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    That's what I think. I think the boy opens up the watch or something and the Doctor remembers something which helps him escape.

I think this is quite a scary episode in the terms of there is no Doctor to save the day (so far anyway), we are all relying on Martha to save the day, who hasn't had much experience. It's a brilliant idea I think.

I agree, because the idea is also a means to use Martha, and use her properly in an effective manner.
    In the previous few stories it's just felt that she's been tagging along as a spare part.

In this particular story the idea literally thrusts a huge chunk of the drama into the direction of Martha.
    ...In a good way as well. Not to make a big point of how wonderful she is, nor as an excuse to use her family and get a load of shmaltz,....but in a way that is unobtrusive and is crucial to the plot and to make the story work.
    A perfect story for utilising the purpose of a companion very well.