Options

Would anyone else like to see the UK have the USA Format?

Comments

• Options
    RedmondRedmond Posts: 19,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shine_On wrote: »
    I'd probably start with Survivor all stars. I think it's season 7. But you can start at the first season and watch it evolve. Easily the best reality show on TV.

Really? That's an odd choice to start with. All Stars is not a very good season in of itself and it's success relies on your familiarity with the returning players. It's all very personal and bitter and that is to do with the relationships between these people that were developed in their prior seasons. I wouldn't suggest starting at that point.

I'd probably say China is the best gateway in to Survivor. It's Season 15 but it was a more back-to-basics season and had good personalities and strategy.
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    Might give Survivor a go :D
  • Options
    k0213818k0213818 Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    If you're going to watch Survivor start right from season 1 and work forward. It's very difficult to go from a modern and slickly produced season and then go to Borneo which is quite slow.
  • Options
    Shine_OnShine_On Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redmond wrote: »
    Really? That's an odd choice to start with. All Stars is not a very good season in of itself and it's success relies on your familiarity with the returning players. It's all very personal and bitter and that is to do with the relationships between these people that were developed in their prior seasons. I wouldn't suggest starting at that point.

I'd probably say China is the best gateway in to Survivor. It's Season 15 but it was a more back-to-basics season and had good personalities and strategy.

I loved all stars :p I had no idea who any of them were when I watched it. I think Tocatins was the first one I watched.
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No UK channel would have the nerve to get rid of the public vote, look at how annoyed people were that they couldn't vote on Survivor back in the day and now we have to endure I'm a Celeb as some kind of homeless man's alternative.

In an ideal world I would love the US version in the UK but I doubt it'd ever occur.

I actually might even start watching the UK version again if it moved to the more Australian style with more strategy and vote points rather than individual nominations. They'd need to cast money hungry game players though and not wannabe "models" and "personalities"
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    I hate how the UK public have to always have a say in who goes and wins its shame cause with the US format its so much better then ours now ours use to be great but BB died after BB7 for me.

I wonder if it has crossed producers mind about taking on the format? I mean what if they were to do a trial run of it maybe run it for 8 weeks with 10 Housemates competing for £50,000 runner up £20k.

But i liked the idea someone said before how it should be 10 weeks 11 Housemates and a whopping £250,000 for the taking i think the prize fund should be around that cause they would of earned it and not like how our BB the winner can just sit quiet for 10 weeks and wins.

If i was them i would be like 'right we are to to try out the USA format see how things go and if it does well we will make more' :D oh if only :p

But as for the name if they could have it in place instead of CBB and call it Big Brother: Deception as an earlier posted mentioned how they could just call it Deception but add BB alongside it imo.

Americans are alot more competitive which is why there format works for them but the 1st season failed cause it was like ours and in there eyes crap to watch.

Also they would save alot of money if they put it in CBB's place cause think how much they have to pay the celebs.
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No UK channel would have the nerve to get rid of the public vote, look at how annoyed people were that they couldn't vote on Survivor back in the day and now we have to endure I'm a Celeb as some kind of homeless man's alternative.

In an ideal world I would love the US version in the UK but I doubt it'd ever occur.

I actually might even start watching the UK version again if it moved to the more Australian style with more strategy and vote points rather than individual nominations. They'd need to cast money hungry game players though and not wannabe "models" and "personalities"

The only UK program that I would say most resembles BB USA atm is The Apperentice. Because the viewers have no say in who goes and that is hugely popular.

If some channel could get the BB USA format working here I think it would be amazing and grow into its own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should have done that instead of that horrendous BB Celeb Hijack. It was the perfect opportunity for them.

But I agree I think it works better with Americans or maybe the UK casting team could find good people, remember what happened to UK Survivor 2 it became a snooze because everyone stayed loyal to the detriment of their own game.

British people seem way more concerned about being liked by the public and viewers than US contestants. Dick for example relishes the haters as do many other BB USA alumni.

On a UK version if they cast the wrong people all you'd see would be tears and people not wanting to vote to evict anyone cause they "love everyone". Maybe if the casting made everyone sit a test so the first housemates would actually have knowledge of BB US and be fans of that show.
  • Options
    iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    I'd love a test run of this. Or they should do it for one CBB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Times have changed. When Survivor debuted in this country Big Brother had just come along and taken all the hype, as well as Pop Idol, shows that were big on interactive audience participation where viewers got a say on the results. This was all very fresh and new at the time, so Survivor never really had a chance.

But we've had public vote shows for years now, it wouldn't be seen as a negative if a new show didn't have that aspect. The Apprentice is still very popular, as are competition shows like Masterchef and The Great British Bake-Off. As long as the new show made it's format and rules clear from the start the public wouldn't have a problem with it in my opinion.
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Hijack was actually pretty good within the older BB style.

I wouldn't trust the casting of a Surivivor style BB to those that do the British one now, it needs to be aimed slightly more adult than the kind of teen audience they play to. Shipwrecked was another attempt at a Survivor style thing I understand, again aimed at a teen audience and not really that tough at all.

With how channels in this country have been running scared of Ofcom and the tabloids I'm not sure it will be easy to producer a proper show with live feed and a genuinely tough competition. I don't watch The Apprentice but I'm not sure if it's that good a comparison with the limited number of shows, no live feed and just a single person deciding who goes every week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Times have changed. When Survivor debuted in this country Big Brother had just come along and taken all the hype, as well as Pop Idol, shows that were big on interactive audience participation where viewers got a say on the results. This was all very fresh and new at the time, so Survivor never really had a chance.

But we've had public vote shows for years now, it wouldn't be seen as a negative if a new show didn't have that aspect. The Apprentice is still very popular, as are competition shows like Masterchef and The Great British Bake-Off. As long as the new show made it's format and rules clear from the start the public wouldn't have a problem with it in my opinion.

Compared to America I'm not sure competitive reality shows here have really been that inventive or prevalent in the last 5 or more years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The difference with The Apprentice and the Bake Off is they involve a talent of some sort. For example its difficult to do "gameplay" on those shows whereas BB and Survivor can get very personal and thus the public would go CRAZY if someone they hated did well and won. In the US the viewers just appreciate the show.

Only Canada has adopted the US format and thats cause thats what they all saw. Some have stolen the HOH and POV formats but in every other country the public makes the decisions.

I would love them to trial it and also for ITV to bring back Survivor (never happening :rolleyes) But I can see why they would, they aren't sure it'll work. One thing I don't get is why E4 only showed BB USA 4 and then 9 was out of season so I got that but why only 4? Maybe they used showing 4 as a ratings trial to see how viewers took to that format? I dunno it seemed odd they didn't also show 5, 6 etc.

Also it sucks they showed 9 of all the US seasons it was the worst. Not a great ad for the game in the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thus the public would go CRAZY if someone they hated did well and won. In the US the viewers just appreciate the show.

I'm not sure how true that is, I haven't seen that many American seasons of BB but this year there seems plenty of hate towards people who have done well in the game. I don't know if that's new but if it is maybe the public could be turning against this format for BB? Survivor is a different kind of show, it's not live no live feed, the storyline can be fabricated easier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the big fans in the US hate but there is never "outrage" like for example the Daily Fail would start running stories about angry fans on a UK version if an unlikable character won it.

The haters on the US version are the live feeders and superfans, the casual BB viewer doesn't actually get that worked up about most seasons except maybe this one, but it is an exception. Dick possibly as well, he got more casual fans worked up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The difference with The Apprentice and the Bake Off is they involve a talent of some sort.

I would argue that The Apprentice doesn't really involve talent despite the show operating under the guise of a "business" programme. Some of the people on that over the years have been just as catty and nasty as anyone on Big Brother.

The show just needs to be marketed well so people understand from that off what it's about.

starry wrote: »
    Compared to America I'm not sure competitive reality shows here have really been that inventive or prevalent in the last 5 or more years.

Exactly, a huge gap in the market.
  • Options
    BadmkBadmk Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Brother Canada was a perfect example of how this format could be done. They mixed the individual personalities of the housemates with gameplay to get the best aspects of both the UK and the US show. The only thing I didn't like was bringing Gary back as that was detrimental to the format.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Badmk wrote: »
    Big Brother Canada was a perfect example of how this format could be done. They mixed the individual personalities of the housemates with gameplay to get the best aspects of both the UK and the US show. The only thing I didn't like was bringing Gary back as that was detrimental to the format.

And the stupid Chevrolet Power Shift twists every couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought BB Canada had terrible gameplay, most of them didn't have a clue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    I thought BB Canada had terrible gameplay, most of them didn't have a clue.

That's pretty much true for every season of Big Brother US though. Although Pete and Alec were spectacularly bad!

Emmet was very good though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated BB Canada so much, the cast irritated the hell out of me, particularly Jillian. If Gary hadn't re-entered I'd probably have given up watching. Gary and Topaz (moron) were the only ones I could stand. Unsurprisingly Robyn Kass was involved in casting this show like she is the US version, clearly this woman and her team can't pick likable people to save her life.

Also during Topaz's HOH is was extremely unfair of production to air her HOH room when she was thinking, if the Canadians had watched every US version it would have been assumed HOH discussion is private on live shows, thats what used to happen with Julie and the HOH.

Also the threw everything but the kitchen sink at this season with twists and turns it was just too much. I hope they tone it down for S2.
  • Options
    BadmkBadmk Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's pretty much true for every season of Big Brother US though. Although Pete and Alec were spectacularly bad!

Emmet was very good though.

One of the best I've seen his only mistake was keeping Gary over Talla. But then I think the questions in the final HOH were geared towards Gary anyway with most of them being questions about his allies strategy. Alec and Pete were bitter morons who should never refer to themselves as lovers of the game again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the BBCAN cast was pretty good, but then again I didn't watch the feeds. Emmet and Jillian were my faves.
  • Options
    mindsetmindset Posts: 23,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind at all :)

A house full of gameplayers such as the likes of Makosi, Rex, Victor, Grace, Noirin and Nick Bateman would certainly entertain me. But would the British public go for it? They have become used to a feminised, politically correct BB. They cheer for brain dead wannabes and "eccentric" attention seekers and generally hurl abuse at game players.

Perhaps Endemol (and TV partner) should market it as something other than BBUK. They should invest in a bigger and better house; increase the prize money, call it "Kill or be Killed" (or something equally dramatic). Who knows, it might work?

But I still wouldn't watch it, without 24/7 live feed.....
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if the current show was axed, it would be a good idea to rest it for a couple of years then for Channel 4 to bring it back with the US format. One of the twists this season that I liked was the MVP twist, which has the advantage of bringing in some extra revenue in phone votes, giving the audience a sense of having some level of control, and mixing it up a bit.

So the British version, which we'll call Big Brother Reloaded, would have a permanent MVP player, but they should modify it so that the same person can't be the next MVP like they already do with HOH.

Another thing they might want to change, is to have a live final with four people rather than the usual two they do in BBUS, with various runner up prizes of £25k, £50k, £100k and with the winner getting £1m. Imagine thre cut throat gameplay a £1m first prize would get. They could also have the public voting as a jury member which I think they did on BBUS a couple of seasons ago, which would generate more revenue and give a sense of audience participation, but wouldn't be enough to swing the game to audience favourites.