Is the "F" word (****/****) or the "N" word more offensive when used as an insult?

2»

Comments

• CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The F and N words are nasty American imports.

I much prefer our own indigenous British slang words.
  • james2018james2018 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    The F and N words are nasty American imports.

I much prefer our own indigenous British slang words.

Like the Q and P words?
  • Vicky.Vicky. Posts: 5,948
    Forum Member
    Being gay and having been on the end of punches, kicks, and untold verbal abuse, I see racism and homophobia as the same: Discrimination against you for something that you didn't chose.

Sadly society in general doesn't. A lot of idiots still consider homosexuality as something that is chosen with only what they think to go on. Also whilst of course black people were and still are abused for many things, they haven't been automatically banned outright without a seconds thought from giving blood and until recently getting married.

Definitely agree with this. It does seem though, that racism is taken far more seriously than any other form of discrimination.
  • james2018james2018 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess that using the 'n-word' towards someone is generally seen as more offensive as those who it is directed toward have zero choice in being the way they are. However a lot of people, probably the majority (me not included), would say that those whom the 'f-word' is directed towards do choose to be the way they are, therefore it is less offensive.
    Please remember i'm trying to talk without bias :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vicky. wrote: »
    Definitely agree with this. It does seem though, that racism is taken far more seriously than any other form of discrimination.

I agree and would also add sexism is equally offensive.
  • IyahIyah Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    The 'n-word' is more offensive when used as an insult because of it's history and associated connotations.

However it shouldn't be a contest really.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    :confused: All insults are designed to be offensive.

So those who take offence ensure that those terms will continue to be used.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    So those who take offence ensure that those terms will continue to be used.

Thats it, blame the victim.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know a couple of extremely homophobic black men who are extremely sensitive to any perceived instances of racism. However they don't think anything about making homophobic comments which I find extremely hypocritical
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The C word.
    I reserve it for certain people, usually other drivers. :)
  • Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    The C word.
    I reserve it for certain people, usually other drivers. :)

Ha, yes. I reserve the C word for very special and unique type of tosser too.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Test:

edit: The Vbulletin word filter deems the F-word to be fine and dandy, but the N-word to be offensive. There's your answer.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So this is inspired by the recent shitstorm caused by Jeremy Clarkson using/not using the "N word" and also by a recent episode of Grey's Anatomy.

I guess most people are familiar with the Jeremy Clarkson story. But fewer may understand the reference to Grey's Anatomy.

During the most recent episode of Grey's Anatomy, Isaiah Wasington, a previous star of the show returned as a guest for a single episode. He was sacked from the show several years back because he used the "F" word as an insult against a homosexual co-star. Apparently, he also used it again later in front of reporters.

So I wondered what people thought was the most offensive word of the two, when used as an insult? The "N" word against black people, or the "F" word against gay people? Or do you consider them both equally as offensive?

BTW I specified what the "F" word was in the thread title so as not to cause confusion over precisely which "F" word I meant! I notice that DS don't censor it...probably because **** and **** mean other things as well. Does the fact that it has other meanings mean it isn't as taboo?

I would say both were equal if used as an insult. You don't even have to use swear words or known nasty words to insult, you could call someone an idiot and it be insulting, much of the time its not what you say it's how you say it and of course mean it.
  • peonypotpeonypot Posts: 2,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought ****/**** were Americanisms, are we using them over here now?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peonypot wrote: »
    I thought ****/**** were Americanisms, are we using them over here now?

Lets just say if you are a smoker be prepared for a few surprised faces if you ask for a **** in the USA , and a few shocked faces if you ask an American if they fancy a **** in the UK.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Frankly, I don't give a shit.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Lets just say if you are a smoker be prepared for a few surprised faces if you ask for a **** in the USA , and a few shocked faces if you ask an American if they fancy a **** in the UK.

Exactly, the word **** as an insult/slang for a gay person is not common parlance in the UK

A **** is a cigarette, a **** is a bunch of twigs and **** is a cheap food dish. [ I think ]

The thread premise is flawed in a UK context.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly, the word **** as an insult/slang for a gay person is not common parlance in the UK

A **** is a cigarette, a **** is a bunch of twigs and **** is a cheap food dish. [ I think ]

I know some people do use the word here but your descriptions for the correct use are right, and **** are like meatballs traditionally made from the leftovers and bits people don't use.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    deleted. Why even bother.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not for me, I don't think i can be offended. I've been called all the names under the sun, but it's always from people who don't actually know you so it meaningless tripe falling out of the "brain" of a narrow minded individual.
  • confuddledconfuddled Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking from experience, I'd say that they're equally as bad, but admittedly, I think I was more taken aback by the use of the latter word in the thread title.

What irks me that that we can't even spell out the word ****** (see?) in context when discussing the heinous nature of the word. What have we become when we have to say "n word" when we are trying to discuss the merit of it being arguably one of the worst words ever.
    ****/**** are just as bad when used to degrade people!
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I like to combine the two. Go figger.
  • confuddledconfuddled Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I disagree.... **** is used quite widely in this country to insult/belittle gays.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember posting on a thread several months ago about Channel 5 showing the original 80s 'Teen Wolf' movie on a Sunday afternoon, with several disparaging 'f' words intact in one scene.

I would guess that currently, there are more children receiving guidance that homosexuality is 'wrong' than that certain ethnicities are 'inferior'. Conjecture, but sad if there is any truth to it either way.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazzaroo wrote: »
    I like to combine the two. Go figger.

That reminds me of this! Quite funny, although offensive to some who don't 'get it' no doubt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wHB-CN0eIk